By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Highest Rated Exclusives (MC): 8th Gen Updated

What will be the highest rated game of the year?

Bloodborne 73 47.40%

Halo 5 17 11.04%

Rise of The Tomb Raider 2 1.30%

Xenoblade Chronicles X 28 18.18%

Forza 6 1 0.65%

Splatoon 4 2.60%

Other 13 8.44%

See results. 15 9.74%

Total:153

So, how will you handle late port of exclusives? Do they get removed from the "true exclusives" list?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
So, how will you handle late port of exclusives? Do they get removed from the "true exclusives" list?

Do you mean will titles like TLOU get removed from the true PS3 list?

Zekkyou said:
outlawauron said:

TLOU and Xenoblade are the two examples that spring to mind. MGS4 if brought elsewhere would be another consideration.

outlawauron said:
Zekkyou said:

TLOU and Xenoblade are the two examples that spring to mind. MGS4 if brought elsewhere would be another consideration.

I'm not 100% sure yet how i'm going to handle those. On one hand removing them would be logical, since the traditional definition of a 'true' exclusive is pretty black and white. On the other hand though, removing titles like TLOU, XC, and Halo 3/4 as they're released in various other forms taints the direct PS3 vs Wii vs 360 comparison that existed prior to the 8th gen starting, which is something i'd like to avoid.

What i'll probably do is just have 2 separate lists; one which is a literal 'true' list, and another which is limited to the 7th gen and prior. The latter is what i'm currently doing, so it'll just be a matter of creating the former. It's a little extra work, but it solves the issue without creating new ones.

SpokenTruth said:

Games released on another platform long after the initial release do not have any effect on what the game did initially as an exclusive so therefore it shouldn't matter.

If they get announced for another console prior to the release of the original (a la RE4 for PS4 announced before it launched on GC) then it counts against.

However, the game should not be added to the list for the second console at all.

The lists aren't intended to demonstrate the effect of a game, they're just a linear present day comparison, so time frames aren't entirely relevant. We don't live in the past after all (though i might add a yearly chart that includes timed exclusives; that would be quite interesting).

A 'true' exclusive (in the present day) means a game that is on literally no other platform. To that extent, it doesn't matter if it was a timed exclusive like Mass Effect (which didn't arrive on PC for several months, and the PS3 until 5 years after its original release), or games like TLOU, XC, and Halo 3/4 that ended up on 8th gen systems. Those games are ultimately now available on more than one platform, thus are not a literal true exclusive. That said, I think taking them away would remove some of the list's usefulness (it remove the ability to make comparisons within the context of a generation), which is why i'm considering having 2 seperate versions. That way everyone is happy.

I agree that those games shouldn't be added to their successor's 'true' list, which is why the 2nd version would limit exclusives to their original gen and prior (so something like TLOU would never be considered a true PS4 exclusive). It makes sense to include those titles in the console exclusive graph though, since that's the whole point in it :p

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
I don't think games like TLOU or Xenoblade should be removed from their original gen.
They were exclusive games to their gens, late ports don't take it away.

Also cross-gens titles should be picked as well, but only to one gen, the trick would be choose it, probably the best to always go with the better version, even as I would disagree at some cases xD

If they remain exclusive to one brand as Nintendo, Sony and MS, it should be alright.

I agree, which is why i think the 2 list plan is the best solution. It maintains the original's value while also providing a literal present day comparison for those that want it. People can't complain about more data!

As for cross-gen (ala brand exclusive) titles, while i haven't fully decided how to treat them yet, if i go with the 2 list plan the 7th gen version will be added to one of the 7th gen 'true' lists, while the 8th gen version will be limited to the console exclusive list.

The biggest question mark right now is how i treat titles like SSB on the 3DS and WiiU, or Tearaway on the Vita and PS4. The two versions are built on the same foundation and share a lot of content, but with the home console version being an expanded and refined experience (which it could be argued justifies regarding it as a separate game). 

Exclusivity sure is complicated these days

I'm glad you updated. It's one of my favorite threads.

Nice ps3 library and that was done with the "no games" label on it. That's why I trust Sony to deliver this gen even with a slow start.

BraLoD said:
Zekkyou said:
BraLoD said:
I don't think games like TLOU or Xenoblade should be removed from their original gen.
They were exclusive games to their gens, late ports don't take it away.

Also cross-gens titles should be picked as well, but only to one gen, the trick would be choose it, probably the best to always go with the better version, even as I would disagree at some cases xD

If they remain exclusive to one brand as Nintendo, Sony and MS, it should be alright.

I agree, which is why i think the 2 list plan is the best solution. It maintains the original's value while also providing a literal present day comparison for those that want it. People can't complain about more data!

As for cross-gen (ala brand exclusive) titles, while i haven't fully decided how to treat them yet, if i go with the 2 list plan the 7th gen version will be added to one of the 7th gen 'true' lists, while the 8th gen version will be limited to the console exclusive list.

The biggest question mark right now is how i treat titles like SSB on the 3DS and WiiU, or Tearaway on the Vita and PS4. The two versions are built on the same foundation and share a lot of content, but with the home console version being an expanded and refined experience (which it could be argued justifies regarding it as a separate game). 

Exclusivity sure is complicated these days

Indeed

Also, Tearaway Unfolded should fall in the same category as TLOU:R.

SSB Wii U should be taken as Little Big Planet 3 I uess, it's a cross title between two different platforms from the same brand, even as it came a little later.

Unfolded is not a remaster. They re-developed the game and even said half the game is completely different from what it was on Vita. That hardly qualifies as a remaster.

TheGoldenBoy said:
I'm glad you updated. It's one of my favorite threads.

Thanks! It's already outdated though. MLB 15: The Show bumped up to 80 :p