By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why isn't Israel heavily sanctioned? (Double Standards!)

Psychotic said:
mai said:

I believe the comment was about you thinking too much of yourself, when claiming Zarkho fall under someone's propaganda machine, at the same time assuming your mind is free of any influence, of course. Well, maybe he is, maybe he is not, maybe he is just giving yout another side of the story, which is always good, isn't it?

On a side note, that was pro-Russian Yanukovich mind you who was about to sign EU association agreement.

I'm thinking too much of myself? Well, that's certainly the case. Still, my original repsonse wasn't that big a deal, was it? I just react badly to representing complex issues very one-sidedly.

And don't mind Shaku, I know him from another thread, he's a little... unwilling to admit the Russian government may not be a club of selfless heroes who are solely interested in promoting freedom and democracy in the world

Your comment indeed is not a big deal, you made a one-line comment easily neglecting someone who put an effort to desribe what he thinks is going on. Put an effort into your comments yourself, and we'll see who's propaganda and who is not ;)

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
Wow, I've read so many biased and/or ill-informed posts in this thread that I'm blown away. I'm not gonna comment on the actual topic more than that though.

The only thing these kind of threads prove is how biased the media is and that propaganda works. Once the idea was that the the freely accessible information on the internet would get people better informed, yet most people only use it to google stuff to confirm their own bias. Censhorship is totally unnecessary on the internet, people can perfectly do that themselves.

mai said:

Your comment indeed is not a big deal, you made a one-line comment easily neglecting someone who put an effort to desribe what he thinks is going on. Put an effort into your comments yourself, and we'll see who's propaganda and who is not ;)

Does anyone even read those long ones? Besides, sometimes a long explanation doesn't need a long answer to dismiss - case in point: The Bible has 800,000 words. The answer has two words: "Prove it." I felt this was kinda the same thing

SvennoJ said:
DanneSandin said:
Wow, I've read so many biased and/or ill-informed posts in this thread that I'm blown away. I'm not gonna comment on the actual topic more than that though.

The only thing the. E kind of threads prove is how biased the media is and that propaganda works. Once the idea was that the the freely accessible information on the internet would get people better informed, yet most people only use it to google stuff to confirm their own bias. Censhorship is totally unnecessary on the internet, people can perfectly do that themselves.

Well said! Most comments Ive read here is pretty one sided, when reality is a lot more varied. Its not all black and white.

But I have to say, Im quite surprised to NOT see any comments about that USA should be sanctioned as well. I was expecting that :p in short, ALL countries should be sanctioned really :p

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Kyuu said:
tiffac said:
Richard_Feynman said:
tiffac said:

Oh I love history but my question remains unanswered if Genocide is what Israel wants then why haven't they attacked the West Bank now? Its a simple question.

The point needs to be reiterated: If Israel wanted all the Palestinians dead then they'd be long gone by now. They could wipe them all out in a matter of days.

This is why I asked the question because for some Genocidal state they sure failed in accomplishing that literally like in decades.

You think Israel is capable of doing such a crime? you think the international law would allow it to pass by as if nothing happened? Have you considered how massive the global, not to mention Arab and Muslim reaction would be? Just how much little faith in humanity do you have? your question is ridiculous. Things today aren't like how they used to be when some Europeans slaughtered the indigenous Australians and Americans.

A genocidal state doesn't have to obliterate an entire nation to be called as such.

Well with that logic, then it seems like the international law/community and all Arab states are allowing the Genocide for decades now.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
DanneSandin said:

The only thing these kind of threads prove is how biased the media is and that propaganda works. Once the idea was that the the freely accessible information on the internet would get people better informed, yet most people only use it to google stuff to confirm their own bias. Censhorship is totally unnecessary on the internet, people can perfectly do that themselves.

You are so right on this. There are no free mainstream medias anymore. We are lucky enough to have an (almost) uncensored internet. We can go and get information from different sources (mainstream media in only one of them) to try to understand things better. However, so many people just stick to the official propaganda as if it was a true and unbiased information (mass destruction weapons in Irak guys ?).

Maybe it is just easier this way, things are all black / all white and you don't have to think.

Psychotic said:
mai said:

Does anyone even read those long ones? Besides, sometimes a long explanation doesn't need a long answer to dismiss - case in point: The Bible has 800,000 words. The answer has two words: "Prove it." I felt this was kinda the same thing

I hope you did before commenting? I promise to read yours thouroughly if you come up with smth.

binary solo said:
Israel as a state came into being under UN mandate in 1948. On the day it cam into being every Arab nation that bordered Israel attacked, militarily. And the region has been a hot violent mess from that point on. Israel's existence has been under threat from the moment is came into being. You can argue the merits of giving the Jewish people a piece of Palestine as compensation for the virtual genocide of Europe's (and Rusia's) Jewish population.

No doubt, Israel has done some unjustified things under the guise of self defence. But the situation with Israel is in no way comparable with the Russia/Ukraine situtation. Therefore it is pure ignorance to be claiming hypocrisy because Russia is being sanctioned and Israel is not.

In my view Israel should be forced to live within it's 1968 UN recognised orders and all the Westbank settlements should be depopulated, or the residents there should become citizens of the Palestinian state. And I think Jerusalem, unfortunately needs to become 2 cities. But by the same token all the Arab countries, Iran and the Palestinians need to officially recognise the state of Israel and vow never to take aggressive action against it.

Long term I actually believe a one state solution is the only viable situation for Israel and Palestine. But before that happens both countries need to properly secularise, and that's quite a way off.

This will never happen and that is why Israel will always have reason to justify (right or wrong) its actions in the interest of self preservation. 

I would personally be happy to see this happen, but even if all the Muslim and Arab nations agreed to such a compromise (they won't ever), it would only take a fringe group of extremists to violate the terms of the agreement, thus giving Israel justification to continue current policy, again, in the interest of self preservation. 

SvennoJ said:

Spot on.

Richard_Feynman said:

Try and watch this factual presentation and tell me if it makes your blood boil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31E1gHowYcA

(Freedomain radio presentation by Stephan Molyneux entitled: The truth about slavery: Past, present and future.)

You could always summarize it for me. I don't have the time right now for 40 mins sitting and have a listening and comprehension class.

My country had the first European city outside Europe in 1400's. The center of slave trade due to it's geographical position in the Atlantic and West Coast of Africa.

You really think that African people were business partners and some of them were remunerated for capturing their neighbours? Where did that remuneration go? Also, that would mean some Africans had sovereignty in their country or areas.

Most of African communities back then lived isolated due to dense forests and other natural danger. Europeans were the first ones to move inland and form a network between the nations. They had excursion teams with rifles and technology to superseed and conquer natives without anyone's help. By the end of 1700 most of African nations enslaved, were populated by children, elders and women.

Don't even bring that Molyneux in my conversation, we have slavery topics in our 4th grade book.I still remember from the book a passage recounting how they used to cure whip wounds on slaves: with salt and hot pepper from India.

We have forts and prison cells still in good condition where I'm from. Our history is palpable and still fresh in our minds but there is little to no friction between us and the Portuguese people. You know why? They never denied what they did and instead they helped out immensely by helping develop our potential and grow as a nation. The same can be said about France and England.

But here in US we got people like you trying to diminish at every chance they get, the brutality of African slavery and its harm to the development of the continent.

Go preach somewhere else.

Sorry for going off topic OP. I had to vent out.