By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR: Nintendo developing sequel to Super Mario Bros 3

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/rumor-nintendo-developing-a-sequel-to-super-mario-bros-3-28057

Seattle's Penny Arcade Expo allows a ton of video game fans to gather and enjoy the medium together and while I'd normally refrain from posting this, one particularly diehard enthusiast might have the inside track on a proper sequel to the NES classic Super Mario Bros. 3.

This individual, who'll remain nameless since I've done nothing to verify the credibility of the rumor, told myself and Griffin Vacheron of CraveOnline that Nintendo is currently developing what he called "Super Mario Bros. 4".

He said that the game is apparently an 8-bit throwback that directly follows the beloved platformer that originally debuted on the Famicom in Japan and the Nintendo Entertainment System in the United States.

When asked for comment, a Nintendo representative stated "Nintendo does not comment on rumors or speculation." This is definitively a rumor though a few recent Nintendo trends have me thinking it could be real:

• Mario. Nintendo has really leaned on this guy to get its Wii U console started on a good note. The company has released several Mario games thus far and one more with direct ties to a game likeSuper Mario Bros. 3 might really drive fans up the walls.
  • Retro. Gamers are really into retro, throwback software right now. Look no further than the Nintendo-platform exclusive Shovel Knight for proof.
  • Downloadable. I'd expect a Super Mario Bros. 4 in 8-bit graphics and sound would be made available for download via Nintendo's eShop service in order to keep the price down and drive more digital consumers to the Wii U and 3DS stores. Nintendo has heavily promoted its digital platform with credit promotions and game giveaways.

Would you buy a new 8-bit Mario game if it featured the kind of now-timeless design present in Super Mario Bros. 3? We'll do our best to follow up on this rumor, but readers should keep in mind that even I have my doubts as to whether or not the project is real.

Thoughts?

Around the Network

Wishful thinking. There's no way a Westerner would have the goods on a game being developed under Nintendo directly in Japan.

NCL doesn't suffer leaks.

Besides Super Mario World IS Super Mario 4, it was even labelled as such in Japan, the reason they used the title "World" is because the number 4 is considered unlucky in Japan. 

I could see New Super Mario Bros. 3 happening next year though for the 3DS. Next year has a dearth of 3DS content, NSMB3 + Zelda: Majora's Mask (another rumored title) would certainly help fill things out.

I seem to have opened a 1992 thread.

I hope so, its the best SMB game

Yup it was released 23 years ago. It's called Super Mario World! XD

http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1114802957-00.jpg

Around the Network

Yeah, we played this game like 23 years ago.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Hey, how about the Nintendo Direct? Did not happened after all? Was it about Bayoneta 2 or what?

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Erm... whats the point when you are getting mario maker? Make your own.

I thought Super Mario Would World was SMB 4 in Japan?

nice

I thought Super Mario Bros. 4 is Super Mario World?