By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Dear White People:

Do you think the movie racist?

Yes - Imagine making a &... 97 61.78%

No - It's making important social commentary 24 15.29%

Sort of - It's not back-... 24 15.29%

Other/Results (You must e... 10 6.37%

Total:155

What a cutting edge movie film this would've been in the late 60's.

Sorry, but I'll stick to All In The Family or The Jeffersons for this sort of thing.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

Referring to white people or black people as such will never in itself be racist.

Singling people put for their race is also not racist unless the topic is whether you are worth less, or should have fewer rights.

I have not seen this film and propbably won't get around to it, but I'd imagine it portraying the characters as racist, rather than making racist points of its own through narrative and context.

In that regard, you could argue that it's racist to portray stereotypical white upperclass people as being racist, but it really never could be. It would just be poor characterization, unless handled rather delicately.

But yeah, haven't seen it. Could be a good film.

It looks funny but it reminds a lot of how irrelevant minorities other than black are in the US in the eyes of the media.

Asians make up a pretty big chunk of college populations as well....

"Imagine if they made a movie called "Dear Black People""

]

Around the Network

"Dear white people is a sly, provocative satire of race relations in the age of Obama."

Picture removed and user moderated - Conegamer 

I'm sure the movie will have a good ending with some sort of understanding and closure as any movie does.

I don't like the title of the movie

Dear White People?

..no

Lol the title reminds me of this NSFW language http://youtu.be/Gi1c25wJp48

There is something really wrong with people.  If you really think there is a difference between whites and blacks you are wrong.  Outside of having extra pigment in your skin, there is nothing that prevents people of any shade from procreating.  Therefore there really is technically no such thing a race in the classical biological sense.  Ethnicity is far more valid.  The idea that skin pigmentation causes you to be a different race (as in there is such a thing of a branching genesis of homo sapiens) is straight up invalid. 

The fact that people can be unaware of this in the 21st century is a testament to the enduring ignorance that prevails our societies and it used as a tool to divide people for the purpose of control.