By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think Nintendo should upgrade the Wii U like they did with the 3DS?

Dunban67 said:

I agree w you- although I really wish they had done the 1st 4 items on the list from the start-  particularly longer batt life and a greater range-  what is the point in a "tablet like" device that has no more range than a Wii mote and batt life that is truly constricting 

Not even remotely possible for the longer range, the device is literally already built to the maximum possible short of melting in your hands. The range of the WiiU is not hardware/software limited, its noise limited by everything else around you.

Take your WiiU to the desert and try to play on the gamepad, you can probably reach a hundred feet without an issue. Why? Because no cell phones, routers, or other radio signals are getting in the way of the 5.0 GHz frequency that the system comunicates over.

The battery life, on the other hand, they did limit but you can replace it.

Around the Network

I'm sure we'll see a new model with more memory soon but not an upgrade in power or something like the new 3DS.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

episteme said:

No, but maybe a new revision with ethernet port, SATA3 slot and longer battery life.

I agree to that. That actually makes sense.

Hell no, that would piss off what early adopters they do have and blow whatever consumer confidence they actually have left. That's a sega cd/32x move, nintendo goes down that road they may as well go third party and get it over with.

spurgeonryan said:
So put out as many 3DS systems as they want, but don't touch the Wii u? ehhh?

Handhelds play by different rules. Two completely different products selling to two completely different demographs. The only time a majoy console maker ever tried something like that (Genesis/32X/Sega CD) it was a an epic fail to end all epic fails.

Around the Network

I don't think that Nintendo would be so stupid as to release a ninth gen home console anytime soon.

However I do think that they'll do what Microsoft and Sony have done with their consoles in the past where they sell consoles with more gigabytes of space, btter bettery life in their controller, pair up the console with a different controller (think of the 360 with the silver controller) etc.

However SEGA has proved before that constantly fucking over the consumer with add-ons, new consoles and everything mixed in with a touch of ass fuckery is not the way to go with a home console.

I rest my case (even though this is a mix of my not-so educated guess and opinion).

No. The 3DS has a huge user base, and baseline 3DS models will continue to sell, as the DSLite did, for some time, along side the "new" 3DS. Wii U has a small userbase so far, though dedicated, and you just don't release "updated" (hardware wise) versions of home consoles. You can get away with it for handhelds. Just ask Sony. But not home consoles. Horrible idea. Move along.

terrible idea

spurgeonryan said:

Five different 3DS systems since launch and the new ones are real upgrades.

People have complained the Wii U is too expensive, not strong enough, needs no gamepad, etc. Even the Wii got eome changes.

So will the Wii U soon as well? Downgrade or upgrade?

NO.

Nintendo was doing that vith GameBoy and DS family too, never done that vith home consoles.

Terrible idea, but that's what I'm worried about now! I'll hold off on my Wii U purchase until I know

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.