By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 100 million PS4 lifetime is impossible...

CGI-Quality said:
bevochan said:
small44 said:

Playstation would destroy Apple,Samsung and Amazon consoles

PS will destroy those consoles.  That's not my point.  The title of the thread is asking whether PS4 can get to 100 million.  PS will likely still sell the most but those potential new consoles will dent away PS console sales.

Of course new consoles will dent sales, but that isn't the point, either (since that's always been the case). For the PS4 to not reach 100 million, it would have to have the sharpest drop off of a PlayStaton, yet (keep in mind it's not only the fastest selling PlayStation, it's also the fastest selling console of all time). I don't see that happening.

This is incorrect. In the time it took PS4 to reach 10 million, Wii hit about 13 million back in 2006-07 (and it did drop off quite sharply somewhere around 2011-12).

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
bevochan said:
small44 said:

Playstation would destroy Apple,Samsung and Amazon consoles

PS will destroy those consoles.  That's not my point.  The title of the thread is asking whether PS4 can get to 100 million.  PS will likely still sell the most but those potential new consoles will dent away PS console sales.

Of course new consoles will dent sales, but that isn't the point, either (since that's always been the case). For the PS4 to not reach 100 million, it would have to have the sharpest drop off of a PlayStaton, yet (keep in mind it's not only the fastest selling PlayStation, it's also the fastest selling console of all time). I don't see that happening.

By the release of PS5 i think ps4 will be close to 100 millions maybe 10 millions behind and will surely do that in the next 4 years.

My english is not that good so what dent sales mean? Does it mean those new consoles will stole some ps4 sale?If yes i'm sure this consoles will stole nothing from ps4.

atomicblue said:

For us to have another generation like the sixth (where PS2 basically carried that whole generation), we'd need a console that really tapped into some kind of essential selling point that was comparable to the PS2's DVD player (which was a HUGE deal back when the console came out). There's nothing like that in this generation, as indicated by the fact that there's not really a breakaway success, sales-wise, this generation. The 3DS has a considerable lead but its week-to-week sales are about even with PS4 now.

Couple that with my point in my previous post (this generation as a whole is not moving consoles anywhere NEAR as fast as last gen), and I doubt we'll see any console come close to 100m this generation. Not unless one console starts running ahead like crazy, at the expense of the other four. I don't see that happening.

I don't think DVD was the direct reason why ps2 sold like that DVD is the reason why Playstation 2 got better support then their competitors

this gen it seem that ps4 will get support without something like DVD even if DVD help sold a lot of ps2 i doubt it's make more then 50 millions gamers buy a ps2.

Ps4 is already sold the double of X1 until now and weekly it outsell it by 2 and sometimes 3 times more the X1 and Wii u  so how ps4 is not running of them.Handheld and home consoles are not the same things so they will not affect each other.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

I think ps4 will be close to 100 millions by the release of the next gen

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

We don't even know how long this generation will last but PS4 will beat 100 million easily especially if it lasts as long as every other playstation console has. Even PS1 got to 100 million and that took alot longer. I dare predict PS3 will have similar legs to PS1/ PS2 and make it to 100 million someday.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

CGI-Quality said:

atomicblue said:
CGI-Quality said:

This is incorrect. In the time it took PS4 to reach 10 million, Wii hit about 13 million back in 2006-07 (and it did drop off quite sharply somewhere around 2011-12).

Can you show me a run down of this? I'm pretty sure the bases have been covered already.

Edit: If we go by VGC numbers:

July 28, 2007 -

Wii 282,661 (-1%) 10,169,429

July 26, 2014 -

PS4 134,755 (-4%) 9,409,574

Even if I'm wrong, the Wii did not sell 13 million in its first 8 months on the market. 

We've both got some numbers wrong, I just double-checked things. PlayStation 4 hit 10 million in a few days short of 9 months, not 8 (it launched November 15, 2013, and the 10m mark was announced around August 12 this year).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_sales

Wii was at a bit over 13m at the end of September 2007, a little over 10 months after it came out, and three months earlier it was at 9.27m units. It would have been at somewhere between 11-12m units (not 13m, like I originally thought) in the same time it took Sony to reach 10m. Either way, PS4 is definitely not the fastest-selling console of all time.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
atomicblue said:
CGI-Quality said:

-snip

We've both got some numbers wrong, I just double-checked things. PlayStation 4 hit 10 million in a few days short of 9 months, not 8 (it launched November 15, 2013, and the 10m mark was announced around August 12 this year).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_sales

Wii was at a bit over 13m at the end of September 2007, a little over 10 months after it came out, and three months earlier it was at 9.27m units. It would have been at somewhere between 11-12m units (not 13m, like I originally thought) in the same time it took Sony to reach 10m. Either way, PS4 is definitely not the fastest-selling console of all time.

Sony announced that the PS4 sold-through 10 million on Aug 17th. At best, it means it was a little before that and a little after 8 months. So it's rounded and it would be a month discrepancy, at worst. Hardly worth picking apart.

In any event, according to VGC, the Wii was nearing 11 million by Aug 18th, 2007, so yes, you'd be correct that the PS4 is a nudge behind. However, the PS4 launched at a higher pace than the Wii (selling 1 million in 24 hrs compared to the Wii's 600K). Thus, it is the fastest selling console out of the gate, but has sinced been eclipsed by the Wii at aligned times. It will have longer legs, though. 

It's worth picking apart because this kind of hype is misleading, and given that the PS4 launched on November 15 last year, a mid-August date is definitely nine months, not eight.

Also, although Sony's PS4 launched at a higher price point, it was also not restrained by stock shortages anywhere close to those that the Wii experienced (Wii was limited by Nintendo's ability to manufacture machines for about a year after its launch). Anyway, we'll see how PS4 looks at the end of the year. Wii was at just over 20 million units at the end of 2007 and just under 45 million by the end of 2008. Given how sluggish console sales have been across the 8th gen versus the 7th, I don't see Sony overtaking the Wii unless this generation goes on even longer than the last.

P.S. A quick search of "sony ps4 10 million" on Google shows plenty of news articles that are dated around August 12-13, not 17th. Don't sell the PS4 short! :P

OP vs. English Language..... English Wins