By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm Starting To Feel Zelda U Isn't Coming Until 2016

If we re-visit the Wii launch too ... imagine if Nintendo didn't delay Zelda: TP and move it into the Wii launch window.

Sure with Wii Sports it would've done well with casuals, but that means there wouldn't have been really a big Nintendo "core" title until the following August with Metroid Prime 3 Corruption.

That would've been a *huuuuuuge* drought.

I mean yeah, Twilight Princess didn't help the Gamecube much, but really who cares? GameCube was what it was and Twilight Princess wasn't changing that. Much like I really don't think Zelda U is a game changer for the Wii U one way or another. To be honest an arguement probably can be made that Pokken Fighters i the more ideal holiday title because it can sell a lot more amiibo toys and toy sales are much tied to the holiday season. 

Beyond that I'm not even that confident that Aonuma's team can even finish Zelda U for November 2015. It sounds to me like given open world nature of the game and it being the first true HD Zelda, that the dev time here is probably going to have to be longer than TP or Skyward Sword. Moving the game into 2016 probably gives the dev team breathing room to really flesh out the game fully in the way they want to. 

Around the Network

Wouldn't be surprised either. Didn't Skyward Sword get delayed for an entire year? A two year wait from the time of first reveal to actual release isn't uncommon for Zelda games

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Soundwave said:

If I can play it at home and on the road on a nice quality (5+ inch) tablet style handheld with an HD screen ... some of us might. You may not. But that's the whole point of giving the consumer a choice. I think as above Nintendo could offer a scenario where Wii U buyers of Zelda could get a free voucher for the game on the handheld (so they can play at home and on the go, assuming they own both systems). Nice incentive to get Wii U owners to buy a Fusion handheld perhaps earlier on too. 

And throw away millions of dollars in dev time? No way. They aren't giving away their biggest game for free anywhere. That's a dream, and so is a tablet handheld coming from Nintendo.

Soundwave said:

If we re-visit the Wii launch too ... imagine if Nintendo didn't delay Zelda: TP and move it into the Wii launch window.

Sure with Wii Sports it would've done well with casuals, but that means there wouldn't have been really a big Nintendo "core" title until the following August with Metroid Prime 3 Corruption.

I mean yeah, Twilight Princess didn't help the Gamecube much, but really who cares? It was on its last legs by then.

Beyond that I'm not even that confident that Aonuma's team can even finish Zelda U for November 2015. It sounds to me like given open world nature of the game and it being the first true HD Zelda, that the dev time here is probably going to have to be longer than TP or Skyward Sword.

That would be true if they had the same amount of people working on this as TP or SS, but Nintendo has its biggest team ever working on this game, so they can get it out in time.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Soundwave said:

I mean yeah, Twilight Princess didn't help the Gamecube much, but really who cares? It was on its last legs by then.

Beyond that I'm not even that confident that Aonuma's team can even finish Zelda U for November 2015. It sounds to me like given open world nature of the game and it being the first true HD Zelda, that the dev time here is probably going to have to be longer than TP or Skyward Sword.

That would be true if they had the same amount of people working on this as TP or SS, but Nintendo has its biggest team ever working on this game, so they can get it out in time.

I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch. Pretty much all Wii U projects have bigger teams than Wii/GCN counterparts, that just goes without saying. 3D World has a bigger team than any 3D Mario, NSMBU had a bigger team than any 2D Mario, Mario Kart 8 had the largest team of any Mario Kart game.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Soundwave said:

I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch. Pretty much all Wii U projects have bigger teams than Wii/GCN counterparts, that just goes without saying. 3D World has a bigger team than any 3D Mario, NSMBU had a bigger team than any 2D Mario, Mario Kart 8 had the largest team of any Mario Kart game.

I didn't just saying its got a larger team than TP or SS, Its got the largest team EVER for Nintendo, for any game.

mZuzek said:
fleischr said:
Wouldn't be surprised either. Didn't Skyward Sword get delayed for an entire year? A two year wait from the time of first reveal to actual release isn't uncommon for Zelda games

They teased Skyward Sword in 2009, first revealed it in 2010 and released it in 2011.
They teased Zelda Wii U in 2013, first revealed it in 2014 and... well, you know.

Twilight Princess - 2006

Skyward Sword - 2011

Zelda U/Fusion - 2016

Seems fairly possible to me, especially when you consider Zelda U is likely a larger scale game than SS or TP. 

I still think Smash Bros is getting delayed to 2015. Nintendo has been really caught off guard by HD development this gen.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Soundwave said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Soundwave said:

I didn't just saying its got a larger team than TP or SS, Its got the largest team EVER for Nintendo, for any game.

Kind of a given I'm pretty sure Zelda games always have the largest internal team of any Nintendo project. Zelda: OoT did, Zelda: Wind Waker did, Zelda: TP did, it would be surprising if Zelda U didn't. 

Fusioncode said:
I still think Smash Bros is getting delayed to 2015. Nintendo has been really caught off guard by HD development this gen.

I just can't see it happening. They NEED to sell amiibo toys this holiday, without Smash Brothers, there's no real strong corresponding game to tie the toys to. 

I think Nintendo would even just basically release the game with some characters/stages missing if need be, and then add those in later as free DLC if it really gets to be a desperate situation. 

You're better off shipping the game with a smaller roster and maybe even (gulp) a few bugs that you can fix later than have it miss the holidays entirely and then probably have to delay the amiibo toy launch too because Sakurai couldn't get Jigglypoo or whatever properly balanced in time for release. 

That game must ship for November.