By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

“Street Fighter IV Could Potentially Come To Wii”

Ryu Is About To Take Tumble, Methinks

27th Feb 2008, 11:15am by Damien McFerran.

Producer hints at a possible Nintendo version

Capcom’s forthcoming 3D ‘reboot’ of the Street Fighter series may be dividing opinion all over the globe thanks to its unique visual style but producer Yoshinori Ono is confident the end product will be a success and commented that in his opinion the game could ‘potentially’ arrive on the Wii.

Speaking at the GDC last week, Ono said:

Street Fighter IV, as it stands now, would be well-suited for the higher-level platforms. But the game doesn't have to have these visuals in order to be fun.

We could go, potentially, to the Wii. We could make it on Game Boy, for all we know right now. As long as the rules are the same, that can be independent of the visuals. So we're not going to be limited by any hardware specs; we're going to aim as wide as possible.

You could have a gold-inlaid board, knights with diamonds in their eyes. Or you could just draw a grid on a piece of paper and use cheap plastic pieces. And you're having the same amount of fun.

While we’re obviously taking the Gameboy comment with a pinch of salt, Ono’s remarks are quite revealing and with the Wii proving to be such a massive force worldwide it would certainly make excellent business sense for Capcom to at least investigate the possibility of a Wii port.

Street Fighter IV is yet to be confirmed for home release but Ono’s other comments at GDC about adding more characters to any domestic releases is a pretty sure pointer to the game hitting one (or more) of the major next-gen platforms at some juncture.

Around the Network

Why not? The game is clearly emphasizing style over raw power (at least I hope that's the case when I look at those screens)

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Not really interested but any good 3rd party game coming to Wii can only be a good thing.

Well, those visuals are even possible on the PS2 from what I can see.

Capcom would be stupid not to bring it on the Wii. Street Fighter back on a Nintendo console: Welcome back home Street Fighter!

Around the Network

I thought they said it would come to every platform imaginable? Those graphics look like PS2 graphics anyway, so I see no reason not to bring to the Wii.

They better bring it to the Wii after Ono made all that talk about putting it on as many platforms as possible.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Bring this game to the Wii please....
This game looks very wii-doable

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

I did see some posts in a previous thread with people saying its not possible on the Wii and i kinda thought WTF are they talking about, glad everyone here can see that this can be done on even a PS2 its the style and it will still look good in action.

Well I would say if they bring it to Wii they might make it look better =P take off some of those polygons on the muscles so they don't look like they're hopped up on steroids and maybe a few less ugly face animations. Seriously love Street Fighter I've been a fan since the old arcade games but I'm not buying SF4 if it looks like that when it comes out.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000