By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A major part of the digital/physical debate that people forget

Mystro-Sama said:
platformmaster918 said:
I buy physical because I re-sell most of my games. Can't do that with Digital. Also I'm very sentimental about cases and of course those beautiful steelbooks *drools*

I know! Some of the cover arts is just amazing *.*

I'm glad that CE of games are usually $80 now instead of $100-$150 and I can sell some of the collectibles I don't want (like Kratos statues) and make it less than the normal game at launch.  I just want the steelbooks and in-game bonuses

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
binary solo said:
VanceIX said:

A lot of people say that the best reason to go physical is that you actually own the game. That's not true. You own the disc itself, but the game is licensed to you, just like digital games. Under the law, there is almost no difference in ownership.

That being said, no one is coming to take away your rights to play your discs. At the same time, however, that generally doesn't happen with digital games either unless you seriously fuck up.

I'm not saying that everyone should up and quit physical and buy digital only, just saying that the concept of "ownership" is really not that different between the two, as far as the law is concerned. 

It is not a major part of the debate, because the debate is principally around resale / lending / swapping and portability. The fact of owning a plastic disc a case and, if you're lucky an insert or game manual, and a licence rather than all of thosebthings plus owning an actual copy of the game is merely a technical legal distinction that has no bearing on what people do or can do with their licence.

We also don't own the movies we buy on DVD/vhs /blue ray, or the music we buy on CD, or the books we buy. In all cases we have know rights over that material except that which has been granted by the rights holder. But you don't ever hear people talking about owning a licence to read a book or watch a video. So in the end you're just talking semantics not practical realities.

But semantics is exactly what I'm discussing. Practical reality is a different matter altogether. In practical reality, people buy and trade physical games, and always have access to their digital games. In terms of pure semantics though, there is no legal ownership for physical games. In pure semantics, a company can take away your right to play the physical game just as easily as a digital. My point is, legal ownership is not a favorable point for phyysical games. You can make the case for convinence, which is a subjective point for both, but legal ownership is clear cut in this case.

As long as a game doesn't require an internet connection then actually no company can prevent you from playing your physical or digital copy of a game. And of course they can't legally invalidate your licence without cause. You still bought and own something which gives you legal protection as the consumer. The only way a company can legally revoke your licence to play the game is if they can demonstrate you have breached the Ts and Cs ofntheblicence or otherwise done something illegal. And in deed this would be possible if you legally owned the copy of the game, not just the licence. It is the sale and purchase contract which sets the conditions for use of the game, not the fact of whether you own a copy of the game or merely the licence to play the game.

But the fact remains the subject of this thread is not a major part of the physical vs digital debate. It's legal minutiae which has no bearing on what people actually care about in terms of their preference for physical copies.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Physical copies of games are the only games I will buy.

I'm confused now. Is it a major part of the debate or merely semantics?

You can do whatever you want with a physical copy, except sell copies of it or parts of its content.
With a digital copy you can't
- glue it to a wall for decoration
- use it as a frisbee
- fix a wobbly table
- use it to watch a solar eclipse
- use it as an emergency signal mirror on hikes
- scare away birds from your vegetable garden
- create a disco ball
- use as an ice scraper for your windshield
- make a bike reflector
- sell/buy 2nd hand/borrow/lend/use it at a friend's place without internet

Anyway I prefer to sell the ones that are merely good, not great, and end up with a collection of great physical content that I can display and browse through.

SvennoJ said:
I'm confused now. Is it a major part of the debate or merely semantics?

You can do whatever you want with a physical copy, except sell copies of it or parts of its content.
With a digital copy you can't
- glue it to a wall for decoration
- use it as a frisbee
- fix a wobbly table
- use it to watch a solar eclipse
- use it as an emergency signal mirror on hikes
- scare away birds from your vegetable garden
- create a disco ball
- use as an ice scraper for your windshield
- make a bike reflector
- sell/buy 2nd hand/borrow/lend/use it at a friend's place without internet

Anyway I prefer to sell the ones that are merely good, not great, and end up with a collection of great physical content that I can display and browse through.

Semantics, for those who keep claiming that digital games are licensed and physical games aren't. 

And physical is fine, and has its advantages, just like how digital has its advantages.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
VanceIX said:

A lot of people say that the best reason to go physical is that you actually own the game. That's not true. You own the disc itself, but the game is licensed to you, just like digital games. Under the law, there is almost no difference in ownership.

That being said, no one is coming to take away your rights to play your discs. At the same time, however, that generally doesn't happen with digital games either unless you seriously fuck up.

I'm not saying that everyone should up and quit physical and buy digital only, just saying that the concept of "ownership" is really not that different between the two, as far as the law is concerned. 

I don't think most or at least in my opinion care about what the law says with ownership of digital content. It still is worthless to me if I can't physically hold it. It won't be worth anything. It can't have any real value. You can't trade it, sell it, and borrow it. I don't care about ownership of digital content. I buy tons of indie titles and have many on the PS3 but they are constrained to that one console. I can't do anything with those games while all my physical PS3 and 360 titles are outside my PS3 and 360 that I can do what I want with. They stay displayed giving me the feeling of worth while those on the PS3 and 360 just sit inside while the systems will soon be sit aside for good.

mii-gamer said:
It's just not convenient going digital in Australia - with our shit internet speeds and all. I can't imagine that a streaming service will be viable OZ when next gen dawns as well (government is incredibly slow with the infrastructure improvements). I hope Sony and Microsoft takes this into consideration next-gen

i have very high internet speeds for Aus though, better than 90% of the world i dare say. 

Have 13 megabyte download speed (101 mbps) and a 1 megabyte upload (9 mbps) pay like 60 a month. our internet speeds are actually quite good, its just the caps make it expensive and no one wants to go there. 

Im with telstra btw, have a cable bundle (you know, the foxtel lines) and i live in a pretty 'poor' part of SA and i know of a few others that have cable, their speeds are quite comparable (all of them live in different parts of SA).

If you have foxtel in your area your speeds will be quite high, just have to pay for that install is all.

Systems Owned: PS1, PS2, PS3,PS4, Wii, WiiU, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one

VanceIX said:

Semantics, for those who keep claiming that digital games are licensed and physical games aren't. 

And physical is fine, and has its advantages, just like how digital has its advantages.

Everything I ever heard about digital's advantages are laziness. You don't have to put a disc in or you don't have to worry about your kids breaking your discs. I heard those as positives over and over. I can't see anyone who takes digital as in better than someone who justs wants to express that everyone should go digital because that is what they like and want. Its like feeling threatened so you or like others feel the need to express themselves. The only real advantage of digital content is music. We have ipods, other MP3 players, and we content them to are vehicles. That is real value in digital content that actually has real use. With that said, there is STILL music cds to this day! Video games are played in our homes. Saving space is the only other arguement and I heard that to but it makes me wonder if peoples' homes are the size of closets!

justgames7604 said:
mii-gamer said:
It's just not convenient going digital in Australia - with our shit internet speeds and all. I can't imagine that a streaming service will be viable OZ when next gen dawns as well (government is incredibly slow with the infrastructure improvements). I hope Sony and Microsoft takes this into consideration next-gen

i have very high internet speeds for Aus though, better than 90% of the world i dare say. 

Have 13 megabyte download speed (101 mbps) and a 1 megabyte upload (9 mbps) pay like 60 a month. our internet speeds are actually quite good, its just the caps make it expensive and no one wants to go there. 

Im with telstra btw, have a cable bundle (you know, the foxtel lines) and i live in a pretty 'poor' part of SA and i know of a few others that have cable, their speeds are quite comparable (all of them live in different parts of SA).

If you have foxtel in your area your speeds will be quite high, just have to pay for that install is all.

Lucky for you! I've looked into getting high speed internet, but its not viable yet with the shitty infrastructure around my area. Telstra says they will have to roll out done by the end of the year, even then the speeds will be nothing like what you have :( And I live in metro sydney

Keegs79 said:
VanceIX said:

Everything I ever heard about digital's advantages are laziness. You don't have to put a disc in or you don't have to worry about your kids breaking your discs. I heard those as positives over and over. I can't see anyone who takes digital as in better than someone who justs wants to express that everyone should go digital because that is what they like and want. Its like feeling threatened so you or like others feel the need to express themselves. The only real advantage of digital content is music. We have ipods, other MP3 players, and we content them to are vehicles. That is real value in digital content that actually has real use. With that said, there is STILL music cds to this day! Video games are played in our homes. Saving space is the only other arguement and I heard that to but it makes me wonder if peoples' homes are the size of closets!

Yeah, because everyone likes exactly the same things, and should follow your opinion or be branded as lazy

/s

Digital is personally more convenient for me, how is that laziness? I never said everyone should go fully digital either. And, believe it or not, in the real world people do have kids and pets that can cause damage. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC