By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A major part of the digital/physical debate that people forget

Keegs79 said:
VanceIX said:

Do your kids play videogames? What would you do if they wanted to play some of the same games as you? Would you not let them touch the discs or take them to their friends' houses, in fear that they may break or scratch them?

I don't have any children, since I'm just a lowly university student currently. However, I remember that when my brother and I were young, we would play tons of games, taking them to our friends' houses and such. Sometimes a disc would get a bit scravhed. Not unplayable, but scrateched. It happens, no matter how responsible you try to be.

My almost 3 and just turned 5 years old? No. Of course they don't play video games. First I would teach them (at a older age) to be responsible if they borrow them or anything of mine. It is important to be a good parent. Second I wouldn't let them borrow them anyway because I wouldn't allow that regardless....well maybe under some circumstances. Lastly, blu-ray discs are very resistant to scratches. You need to beat them up pretty bad to make them unplayable.  They can take a heavier beating than a standard dvd or music cd.

You can teach them to be reponsible, sure. But there are plenty of children who start playing videogames before they turn 10, and you can't be there with them to make sure they treat everything properly.

And bluray discs are actually not scratch resistant, it's the special coating that publishers put on the disc that is. And even that can still be easily scratched, because things happen. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
Keegs79 said:

My almost 3 and just turned 5 years old? No. Of course they don't play video games. First I would teach them (at a older age) to be responsible if they borrow them or anything of mine. It is important to be a good parent. Second I wouldn't let them borrow them anyway because I wouldn't allow that regardless....well maybe under some circumstances. Lastly, blu-ray discs are very resistant to scratches. You need to beat them up pretty bad to make them unplayable.  They can take a heavier beating than a standard dvd or music cd.

You can teach them to be reponsible, sure. But there are plenty of children who start playing videogames before they turn 10, and you can't be there with them to make sure they treat everything properly.

And bluray discs are actually not scratch resistant, it's the special coating that publishers put on the disc that is. And even that can still be easily scratched, because things happen. 

My oldest recently turned 5, he plays on the WiiU and PS3. I have taught him how to handle discs and he has no trouble putting the game from the machine back in the right box and starting up the game he wants to play with me. The 3 year old used to eject a disc now and then when he was 2 and would get some greasy fingers on it. Not a problem, just wash it off, those blu-ray discs are tough. My 3 year old is also already trying to play mk8, he loses interest after the first lap though, he's more into hammering the horn on the gamepad. Anyway all the discs are still prefectly fine.

I will not let them play anywhere near my external hdd though. You can accidentally knock the gamepad of a table or couch and its perfectly fine. (Well to be honest the left analog stick was giving a bit of trouble for a while but seems to have fixed itself) I doubt my external hdd can absorb something like that.