By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft interested in EA Access like program, thinks it's good for publisher brands

But the best part will be:

It's WiiU exclusive!!!

Around the Network

i don't like this trend but oh well... im not gonna buy it anyway...

bananaking21 said:
Landguy said:
Sounds good to me. Give me the choice and go from there. If Ubisoft doesn't have anything on their service for me, I will not subscribe.

They way it is set up now, it is like cable/satellite TV. I pay for hundreds of channels and only watch 3-5 of them.

Slice up the channels to what people want, and over time, the garbage will be buried and the quality will stay atop.

or you can have one unified account for all publishers to put their games on. 

people are glamoring this "idealistic" concpent that more choices the better, but when it comes to reality and the bottom line, you will end up having to pay every publisher a sub for their old games, and content that was held back to create a false sense of value, like that madden demo. 

Why would you need to buy into so many subscriptions?  Over time, you would only sub to the ones that make sense for you.  The XBlive and PS+ model was never going to last.  THe publishers lose out on those deals.  Just like makers of movies and tv shows.  THey have no way to make extra money in the digital world that way.  So, they need a format that allows them to make money on their content.  THe only way that the XBL or PS+ would work long term is if they provided a XBL+ or PS++ type of service.  It would allow publishers to get some extra $$$ for their game being selected or used(similar to PSNow).   That will be the future anyway.  THe publishers just don't want a bigger chunk of the pie to go to Sony/M$ instead of themselves.

It is near the end of the end....

Landguy said:

Why would you need to buy into so many subscriptions?  Over time, you would only sub to the ones that make sense for you.  The XBlive and PS+ model was never going to last.  THe publishers lose out on those deals.  Just like makers of movies and tv shows.  THey have no way to make extra money in the digital world that way.  So, they need a format that allows them to make money on their content.  THe only way that the XBL or PS+ would work long term is if they provided a XBL+ or PS++ type of service.  It would allow publishers to get some extra $$$ for their game being selected or used(similar to PSNow).   That will be the future anyway.  THe publishers just don't want a bigger chunk of the pie to go to Sony/M$ instead of themselves.

you do realize sony/ms do give publishers money for putting their games on PS+? plus extra revenue from DLC sold, and its serves as a marketing purpose, right? 

plus, you are talking about publihers making money money money, you know, i am not really keen on giving them all my hard earned cash. 

bananaking21 said:
Landguy said:

you do realize sony/ms do give publishers money for putting their games on PS+? plus extra revenue from DLC sold, and its serves as a marketing purpose, right? 

plus, you are talking about publihers making money money money, you know, i am not really keen on giving them all my hard earned cash. 

Yes i know they get paid a something.

Problem is that you go through Sony's or M$'s interface.  The developer/publisher gets more benefit if you go through their interface, the opportunity to sell you the DLC or similar games from their library.

Also, the long term is that they can sell you the digital version of their gasme and it will eventually be playable on multiple platforms.  It will take a while, but that is where this is really going.  Same thing for PSNow, multiple platforms.

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

And now all those "what ifs" and "speculations" that "didn't mean anything" when talking about EA Access are already being talked about by other publishers just a week later.

"Bonus content" (probably actually on-disc content) locked behind a subscription, betas locked behind a subscription, demos locked behind a subscription, discounts locked behind a subscription....I wouldn't doubt it if particular game modes would get locked behind a subscription.

In order to fully enjoy games, you'll have to start being subscribed to every publisher. Xbox fans: you can keep trumpeting EA Access because Sony (voluntarily, mind you) doesn't have it, so you can use it as a talking point to make the XBone look more appealing, but when all the "what ifs" start coming to fruition, don't say you weren't told so. We've already got the first rain drop for the eventual flood just waiting to drop. 

So Yoshida was right...

"If every publisher follows suit, and as a consumer you have to choose by publisher which service to subscribe to, that's not something we believe is best for consumers."

Its effectively just PS+/games with gold, but you only get games from those publishers... and if those developers are putting their games in their service like ea access, they wont put them in PS+/gameswithgold... but if they do then you are paying 2 subscriptions which have overlapping games.

Landguy said:
bananaking21 said:
Landguy said:
Sounds good to me. Give me the choice and go from there. If Ubisoft doesn't have anything on their service for me, I will not subscribe.

They way it is set up now, it is like cable/satellite TV. I pay for hundreds of channels and only watch 3-5 of them.

Slice up the channels to what people want, and over time, the garbage will be buried and the quality will stay atop.

or you can have one unified account for all publishers to put their games on. 

people are glamoring this "idealistic" concpent that more choices the better, but when it comes to reality and the bottom line, you will end up having to pay every publisher a sub for their old games, and content that was held back to create a false sense of value, like that madden demo. 

I guess you prefer a "Dreamworks/Paramount/TriStar/Disney/20th Century Fox/etc." Access then? All separate subs that you'd have to pay to enjoy their content....instead of, you know. Netflix, where they can all go. Because those movie distributers won't "have to go through Netflix's interface" that way. They lose out on Netflix deals (even though they keep putting movies on it). 

That's the logic you're giving right now

Dgc1808 said:
And so it begins.

This is a small part of the reason I traded in my PS4 and went with Wii-U this generation. PS Now, EA Access...it's all going down the drain for people like me that believe in ownership of games. The industry wants to go the digital route to take control from you and keep it for themselves.

I disapprove. 

This is just what I was afraid of.

*grumbles*

Microsoft is now in a position where it can't say no.