By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will Wii U owners be satisfied enough to accept a new console?

Soundwave said:

A handheld + home VitaTV like box are "seperate" devices but still linked. 

Just like iPod Touch + iPhone + iPad are seperate but have the same OS and similar chipset architecture and the same app ecosystem. 

So what Iwata has said doesn't really go against what I've said, in fact if you read his overall comments more carefully, they're much in line with what I'm suggesting. 

Miyamoto has also commented in the future they'll make one game but it'll work on multiple hardware. Iwata has also said Nintendo needs to adopt the iPad/iPhone style format, where you have one ecosystem just playable over different form factors. 

IMO you'll have a "Nintendo handheld" launch in spring 2016 or thereabouts. This effectively IS the next generation Nintendo format launch. 

Then in the later months you'll probably see a Vita TV like home device which lets you play the games on your TV if you wish. But same library, I think even same chip components, it'll just be scaled a little bit so that the handheld plays Wii U quality graphics at 960x540 30 fps (for example) whereas the TV version has dual/triple chip so that it can run the same game at 1080p 60 fps. But even that isn't very different from the iPhone/iPad, where the iPad apps run at a higher resolution and it has a slightly better chip. 

Yes, so... what I said.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Once Zelda U is finished, I think Nintendo is pretty much finished with the platform.

I think maaaaaybe Retro Studios might be doing something like Diddy Kong Racing U as the swan song in 2016.

By that time though Nintendo will have given the Wii U all the major Nintendo IP. There's no point in dragging out an unsuccessful console. It just hurts the company by devoting resources into a dead end.

The GameCube really didn't get 5 years either, Nintendo pretty much stopped supporting it after March 2005 with DK: Jungle Beat's release. The rest of the major games were basically outsourced projects and Zelda: TP was moved to be a Wii launch title with the GCN only getting a limited, late release of the game. 

For N64/GC/Wii 1st party support pretty much dried up after the 4th full year.

In 2001 N64 pretty much just had Pokemon Stadium & Paper Mario

In 2006 GC pretty much just had the cross-gen Twilight Princess

In 2011 Wii pretty much just had Skyward Sword & Return to Dreamland, 2012 just had the way too long to localize Xenoblade Chronicles.

Why not just axe the 5th/6th year which never get much love and release the new console at the end of the 4th year?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

Back in May Nintendo announced that they would not release new hardware until current Wii U owners are satisfied, since then E3 has come and gone and we now have a better look at what Nintendo has coming from now til the end of next year. Would it be realistic to say Wii U owners will be satisfied by the end of 2015? Here is the list of exclusives from launch to end of 2015 that we know of now, assuming that none are delayed.

New Super Mario Bros U

Nintendo Land

ZombiU

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Lego City Undercover

Dragon Quest X (Japan only so far)

Game & Wario

New Super Luigi U

Pikmin 3

Wonderful 101

Wind Waker HD

Wii Party U

Wii Fit U

Wii Sports Club

Sonic Lost World

Mario & Sonic at Sochi Olympics

Super Mario 3D World

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Mario Kart 8

Hyrule Warriors

Fatal Frame V (Japan only so far)

Bayonetta 2

NES Remix 1+2

Sonic Boom

Captian Toad Treasure Tracker

Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Mario vs Donkey Kong

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Kirby Rainbow Curse

Yoshi's Woolly World

Mario Marker

Splatoon

Giant Robot/Project Gaurd

Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem

Devil's Third

Star Fox U

Mario Party 10

Legend of Zelda U

Diddy Kong Racing (rumored)

Pokken Fighters (rumored)

2015 remaster (rumored)

On top of that we have a decent selection of multiplats, Call of Duty Black Ops+Ghosts,  Assassin's Creeds 3+4, Darksiders 2, Mass Effect 3, Ninja Gaiden 3, Resident Evil Revelations, Deus Ex, Sniper Elite 2, Walking Dead, Splintef Cell Blacklist, Lego Batman 2+3, Lego Marvel Super Heroes, Lego Hobbit, Lego Movie, Disney Infinity 1+2 (probably 1-2 more), Skylanders Giants+Swap Force+Trap Team (probably 1-2 more), Just Dance 4+2014+2015 (probably 1-2 more), Watch Dogs, Project Cars, Batman Arkham City+Origins, Rayman Legends

That list covers the majority of major Nintendo titles, Metroid/Animal Crossing/Paper Mario being the only big ones not represented, so could we see Wii U support start to drop after 2015 with a new console in late 2016?

Nintendo will NOT break the 5 years min cycle. If they do, I'll leave this site forever.

What releases did Wii have in 2011? On a (at the time) 85m install base.

?

Seece said:
What releases did Wii have in 2011? On a (at the time) 85m install base.

?

Not much. Biggest US releases were Skyward Sword and Kirby's Return to Dreamland, if I remember right. I think Europe got the Operation Rainfall games that year as well.

NNID: TheCCluc

Around the Network
Cheebee said:
I don't think it's just a matter of an unspecified number of games, but also (very much) a period of time. If they stopped supporting Wii U by the end of 2015 and revealed a successor around that time, I'm pretty sure a LOT of people wouldn't be satisfied, no matter if they'd released a truckload of AAA games in the meantime. That would mean a 3-year lifetime (at the most, since it would be even less for everyone who bought a Wii U after launch). I don't think that's acceptable.

Imo Q4 2016 is the absolute earliest they could possibly stop supporting Wii U and unveil a successor, ad even that would be pushing it.
Then again, I don't expect Nintendo to release a follow-up to Wii U until Q4 2017, at the earliest. 3DS will likely see a redesign sometime next year, and a successor in 2016.

In the OP I said new console Q4 2016, excellent output in 2015 and a few solid releases in 2016.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

prayformojo said:
zorg1000 said:

Back in May Nintendo announced that they would not release new hardware until current Wii U owners are satisfied, since then E3 has come and gone and we now have a better look at what Nintendo has coming from now til the end of next year. Would it be realistic to say Wii U owners will be satisfied by the end of 2015? Here is the list of exclusives from launch to end of 2015 that we know of now, assuming that none are delayed.

New Super Mario Bros U

Nintendo Land

ZombiU

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Lego City Undercover

Dragon Quest X (Japan only so far)

Game & Wario

New Super Luigi U

Pikmin 3

Wonderful 101

Wind Waker HD

Wii Party U

Wii Fit U

Wii Sports Club

Sonic Lost World

Mario & Sonic at Sochi Olympics

Super Mario 3D World

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Mario Kart 8

Hyrule Warriors

Fatal Frame V (Japan only so far)

Bayonetta 2

NES Remix 1+2

Sonic Boom

Captian Toad Treasure Tracker

Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Mario vs Donkey Kong

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Kirby Rainbow Curse

Yoshi's Woolly World

Mario Marker

Splatoon

Giant Robot/Project Gaurd

Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem

Devil's Third

Star Fox U

Mario Party 10

Legend of Zelda U

Diddy Kong Racing (rumored)

Pokken Fighters (rumored)

2015 remaster (rumored)

On top of that we have a decent selection of multiplats, Call of Duty Black Ops+Ghosts,  Assassin's Creeds 3+4, Darksiders 2, Mass Effect 3, Ninja Gaiden 3, Resident Evil Revelations, Deus Ex, Sniper Elite 2, Walking Dead, Splintef Cell Blacklist, Lego Batman 2+3, Lego Marvel Super Heroes, Lego Hobbit, Lego Movie, Disney Infinity 1+2 (probably 1-2 more), Skylanders Giants+Swap Force+Trap Team (probably 1-2 more), Just Dance 4+2014+2015 (probably 1-2 more), Watch Dogs, Project Cars, Batman Arkham City+Origins, Rayman Legends

That list covers the majority of major Nintendo titles, Metroid/Animal Crossing/Paper Mario being the only big ones not represented, so could we see Wii U support start to drop after 2015 with a new console in late 2016?

Nintendo will NOT break the 5 years min cycle. If they do, I'll leave this site forever.

But why? When was the last time a Nintendo console had great support in its 5th year? Also did u get mad when Nintendo released a successor to GBA after 3.5 years?

I'll be satisfied as long as we get a good flow of titles throughout the end of 2017 (for example Metroid, Animal Crossing, a remake or two, another 3D Mario, an assortment of games that use two GamePad's--think Nintendo Land 2--Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, in edition to the games that are planned for 2015).

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

I just want good games and as long as Nintendo is developing them, I'll be buying them.

Thanks for eveyone who replied, this has been a rather successful thread, lots of good discussion without much bickering and no trolls yet lol hopefully I didnt just jinx myself with that last one