By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who the heck will buy Bayo 2

Podings said:
reggin_bolas said:
Cheebee said:
Haven't we had 678 of these exact same threads already? Get over it.

I just realized, and forgive my slowness, that to acquire the rights to publish a moderately successful niche franchise which was originally published outside your platform is probably the most assanine business decision one could make. 

Isn't that like buying a sports team and moving it to a different city, far... far away lol? 

In this particular analogy, the team would have to move, or stop playing the same sport altogether. And instead of moving far away, they'd be moving to the other end of town and a dfferent stadium.

In any case, it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo did this. Arika's Deep Blue series was PS2 exclusive until Nintendo decided to publish it as Endless Ocean on Wii. And prior to Xenoblade, there'd never been a Xeno game on a Nintendo system.

It's not not about taking something away from others, but about ensuring the prevalence of good content.

I'm not here to highlight any frustrations with exclusivity. Rather, I made an observation about a potentially ill-advised business decision. You know publishers don't moneyhat for the sake of art proliferation. 

Around the Network
reggin_bolas said:
hsrob said:
Me. The prequel being on other platforms is a moot point given that it is also included with Bayo 2.

It's not moot. People who didn't care to play the first one likely won't buy it just because it's bundled and available to them at a later date.

I am people. I did care to play the first one but wasn't in a position to at the time. Now I get it for free.

Who's to say people who played the first one on the 360 or PS3 won't get this on the WiiU. Surveys on this very site suggest that the majority of WiiU owners (at least on this site) are in fact multi-console owners, they don't game in a vacuum.

Nintendo doesn't want this to flop the same way Wonderful 101 did, so they're doing as much as they can to get people to purchase the game, such as bundling it with Bayonetta and adding costumes.
I expect a Direct on this two weeks before release to drive the point home.

Besides, considering the state of the Wii U, I'd say it'll sell a lot (more than Wonderful 101).

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

i will buy it, but first i will wait some time and hear if it runs better than the first on ps3... tired of bayo with shitty performance---

reggin_bolas said:

Quick query and forgive my ignorance kind Nintendoists but who the heck will buy this game? You have a sequel whose predecessor was released on two different platforms, and whose current audience comprises mainly of Nintendo fantasts (early adopters who only buy Nintendo first party titles) who most likely never played the first one. 

Is this the worst third-party acquisition of all time? Sure sounds like it. 

Maybe the plan was to get the people who liked the first game who probably didn't have a Wii/Wii U to buy a Wii U to play the sequel so that the Wii U audience grows out of just the Nintendo "fantasts". Wouldn't that make sense?

What remains to be seen is if Bayonetta is a strong enough IP to entice non-Nintendo gamers to buy a Wii U.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

ME. I will buy it, and I think there'll be a few others too.

I'll get it. Although I expect its sales to be quite low.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

I'll be getting the game on release

Also, the preorders for Bayo2 in the US exceed either version of the original according to the VGChartz's US preorders. Take it with a grain of salt, of course, but it still bodes better for the sequel than the original, since the game has at least two months before release here.

Also, how is it a bad business decision to broaden your audience? Sure, Bayonetta 2 might not sell as much as a Mario game would, but it gives the Wii U another exclusive, and expands the userbase to include more people willing to purchase games such as Bayo and Devil's Third. With each new release like that, the audience for them will only grow.

Truth is, none of us really know if this was a good or bad choice for Nintendo and we may never, since we don't know their expectations for it.

Quite a few Nintendo fans on these forums have previously yelled about games on other systems having too much violence and sexuality, so I guess they won't be buying Bayonetta 2.

Still, if Nintendo wants to broaden their fan base and entice third parties then they have to do this. Even if it ends up losing money, I think it's a good idea. I just don't know if it's going to be enough.

reggin_bolas said:
Podings said:
reggin_bolas said:
Cheebee said:
Haven't we had 678 of these exact same threads already? Get over it.

I just realized, and forgive my slowness, that to acquire the rights to publish a moderately successful niche franchise which was originally published outside your platform is probably the most assanine business decision one could make. 

Isn't that like buying a sports team and moving it to a different city, far... far away lol? 

In this particular analogy, the team would have to move, or stop playing the same sport altogether. And instead of moving far away, they'd be moving to the other end of town and a dfferent stadium.

In any case, it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo did this. Arika's Deep Blue series was PS2 exclusive until Nintendo decided to publish it as Endless Ocean on Wii. And prior to Xenoblade, there'd never been a Xeno game on a Nintendo system.

It's not not about taking something away from others, but about ensuring the prevalence of good content.

I'm not here to highlight any frustrations with exclusivity. Rather, I made an observation about a potentially ill-advised business decision. You know publishers don't moneyhat for the sake of art proliferation. 

But Nintendo are not merely a publisher. They are also creators and platform holders, and market leaders on several fronts, renowed for their long term business planning.

If they can preserve something for themselves that they perceive to hold great value, they do so, experimenting with how to present it to the audience in an attractive wrapping.

It's now been ten years since Nintendo has made a lick of money from anyhing produced at Monolith, and most other comtemporary publishers would have closed the studio. But Nintendo trusts them to impress a vital part of the game playing public with the new Xenoblade.

Likewise, ensuring the survival of a series like Bayonetta is also about ensuring the admiration of gamers, not crush their dreams. What this game doesn't make back in sales, it has already more than bought back in buzz, be it negative or positive.