By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Someone has to say...Nintendo needs a phone

Printing money never gets boring. At least not for profit oriented companies.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Ouroboros24 said:
tak13 said:

no way!mobile gaming...the rather,smartphone gaming(facebook gaming is disambiguous from big success to an easy fail, see Zynga) is popular because games cost 2-5 dollars and some are free

Today it is 2-5 dollars, tomorrow it may be 34.99.  A serious gaming machine fitted like a normal phone with development cost like a triple A sony title.  What's to stop that from happening within the next 5 years?  If not the next 5 years, the next 10.  There will be someday a machine like this and the way things are going, it will not be nintendo.  They don't have the DNA to create a phone like Samsung, at least we don't see that side of them. 

People wouldn't buy mobile games anymore if they were to jump up to 34.99. They never would have bought them in the first place at that price and now that they are used to the low price it just isn't possible.

People don't seem to realise how unpredictable casuals are. The majority wouldn't even spend a cent on a mobile game.

Ka-pi96 said:
Ouroboros24 said:
tak13 said:

no way!mobile gaming...the rather,smartphone gaming(facebook gaming is disambiguous from big success to an easy fail, see Zynga) is popular because games cost 2-5 dollars and some are free

Today it is 2-5 dollars, tomorrow it may be 34.99.  A serious gaming machine fitted like a normal phone with development cost like a triple A sony title.  What's to stop that from happening within the next 5 years?  If not the next 5 years, the next 10.  There will be someday a machine like this and the way things are going, it will not be nintendo.  They don't have the DNA to create a phone like Samsung, at least we don't see that side of them. 

People wouldn't buy mobile games anymore if they were to jump up to 34.99. They never would have bought them in the first place at that price and now that they are used to the low price it just isn't possible.

This is where I see Nintendo is a shining light in it's policy to not make games for phones.  But do you really see Nintendo winning this battle of format of being a games only machine?  Are we going to revert back to where phones didn't play games?  In the foreseeable future, that's not going to happen.  More and more development will be placed on triple A titles for iOS, and why not?  We haven't seen that app to do that, but you hear stupid things succeeding all the time. 

Customer's now are used to the low price of little minigames, but you can't deny that the customer are just trained monkeys when it comes to forking over more money for something they see value in.  And certainly, it will not be in drones, not at first, but it will grow like cancer, until it is the norm.  It may suck, but it's a possibility that shouldn't be ignored.  Doom!

No, keep it a handheld with buttons. A phone-like machine would ruin Nintendo.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Mystro-Sama said:

People don't seem to realise how unpredictable casuals are. The majority wouldn't even spend a cent on a mobile game.

But thats the point of casuals.. And this is gonna blow your mind: It doesn't matter what the majority would do if the minority is still a 100+ million market.

clearly there is a big enough piece of the casual market that spend money on games looking at the numbers

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

they should make it their third pillar

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

fluky-nintendy said:
No, keep it a handheld with buttons. A phone-like machine would ruin Nintendo.

But what if it didn't.  What if it was the right combination of buttons and lack of buttons coinciding within the same machine?  That's a riddle with so far no answer, but isn't it the future when there is an answer?  Which ever company is able to answer it, it will drive the next generation of mobile gaming.  There are people out there that have 3ds and phones all at the same time, rare, but there is that devotion.  How easy would it be to convince someone who had no real devotion to gaming, but see that the option is there? 

Ouroboros24 said:
the_dengle said:
I'm pretty happy with my flip phone. I do not want a Nintendo phone.

I don't think such a device would have a very large market.

You have a flip phone, of course you wouldn't want a Nintendo phone.  You don't even count.  Not trying to offend, simply stating the flaw in your logic.

On the contrary, I am a consistent Nintendo customer who buys most of their hardware. I also do own a mobile device, though it is not a phone. The reason I have no interest in buying a smartphone is because I don't see the value to 3G. I don't want to pay to have internet access that I never use for fear of exceeding my data plan.

Anyway, if this hypothetical Nintendo phone does not appeal to the people who play Nintendo games, it will have to appeal to people who use smartphones. And in that market its competition is simply massive. Nintendo cannot compete with Apple or Google in the smartphone space any more than an Android machine can compete in the home console space (hint: Ouya). So their only buyers would be the subsection of their already existing (and admittedly small, in the grand scheme of things) fanbase who also want a new smartphone.

There is virtually no reason for this product to exist.

Ouroboros24 said:

But you can't ignore the present of mobile gaming. 

No, you can't ignore it. You must destroy it, before it becomes even stronger. Smartphone gaming must be exterminated! Swift and without mercy!

Hunting Season is done...

Phones and apps can still evolve to be easier and cheaper.
Apps can soon migrate to being browseer based, ie HTML5.
http://www.infoworld.com/t/mobile-development/forrester-html5-apps-still-not-good-native-apps-235189
When this happens the need for a special OS to manage apps may disappear.
The most popular apps, when on PC or laptop, are browser based:
http://mashable.com/2014/04/03/popular-apps-chart/
Facebook, youtube, mail all come from the browser and can go back there with HTML5 functionality.

Wifi hotspots can grow bigger and easier to obtain:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/04/08/boston-launches-wicked-free-network-starting-grove-hall/m3JI6hmWTCvQa8Ca4ZrLuK/story.html
http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/21/google-in-the-running-to-turn-nyc-pay-phones-into-free-wi-fi-hotspots/
http://flets.com/freewifi/service.html

So basic phone functionality may soon be available trough a simple browser, and accessed in many cities with simple wifi.