By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2014: New England Patriots Win Super Bowl XLIX

Who will win the Super Bowl?

Who cares? 41 36.61%

That AFC team. 29 25.89%

That NFC team. 5 4.46%

Hahaha, not the Packers! 25 22.32%

See Results. 9 8.04%

Total:109
noname2200 said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/bengals-bring-back-still-to-help-him-pay-for-daughter-s-cancer-treatment-032403812.html

The Cincinnati Bengals appeared to have moved on from former second-round defensive tackle Devon Still when they cut him this preseason. Still, 25, certainly has looked like a bust to this point in his career, and his preseason play was not an indication he had come around.

However, Still has had much bigger and better things on his mind than football. His 4-year-old daughter, Leah, was diagnosed with stage 4 pediatric cancer back in June.

So when training camp came around, Still lost some desire to play. The Bengals had no choice but to cut him.

[ Smack talk season is back at Yahoo Sports: ]

“I completely understand where the Bengals were coming from when they cut me because I couldn’t give football 100 percent right now,” Still told ABC News.

But there's a silver lining to this story. The Bengals re-signed him to their practice squad, and the $6,300 weekly salary and medical insurance will go a long way to help Leah. Still is eminently grateful for the team's gesture when he knows they simply could have made what NFL teams like to call "business decisions."

“They could have washed their hands with me and said they didn’t care about what I was going through off the field,” Still said. “It’s like a blessing in disguise for me.”

As a member of the practice squad, Still will practice with the team but not travel. That means he has more time to spend by Leah's side. Blessing in disguise indeed.

The story is already a couple of weeks old but its still good compared to all the bad stories associated with the NFL lately (AP and RR).

Around the Network

Adrian Peterson is a scumbag...Jim Harbaugh's words are worth dog shit...and the NFL Isnt even addressing the Greg Hardy situation this is how stupid our "TMZ"sports media is, talk about the past and not look at what is happening now. Greg fucking Hardy is still playing and he was found guilty of Domestic violence and he is still playing What th fuck is going on!

DolPhanTendo said:
Adrian Peterson is a scumbag...Jim Harbaugh's words are worth dog shit...and the NFL Isnt even addressing the Greg Hardy situation this is how stupid our "TMZ"sports media is, talk about the past and not look at what is happening now. Greg fucking Hardy is still playing and he was found guilty of Domestic violence and he is still playing What th fuck is going on!

DolPhanTendo said:

Plus the Cowboys will bring back Josh Brent who killed his teammate in a drunk driving accident as soon as he is cleared to play again.

Chris Hu said:
DolPhanTendo said:

Plus the Cowboys will bring back Josh Brent who killed his teammate in a drunk driving accident as soon as he is cleared to play again.

I wouldn't equate that.

He made a mistake, he surely didn't intend to kill his friend. He paid for his mistakes, and should deserve a second chance to live his life as a changed person.

Around the Network
Burek said:

I wouldn't equate that.

He made a mistake, he surely didn't intend to kill his friend. He paid for his mistakes, and should deserve a second chance to live his life as a changed person.

His mistake was a very serious one of the kind of thing we've been drilled for decades not to do. It's not like he he forgot to leave the toilet seat down: he consciously did something that has a good chance of getting someone crippled or killed. Which as it turns out is exactly what happened.

Burek said:
Chris Hu said:
DolPhanTendo said:

I wouldn't equate that.

Meh,  if it wasn't for the Cowboys I'm pretty sure that no other team would consider signing him anytime soon not only because of the drunk driving incident but because he is just not that good of a player the Cowboys are just desperate when it comes to getting any kind of defensive help.

noname2200 said:
Burek said:

I wouldn't equate that.

His mistake was a very serious one of the kind of thing we've been drilled for decades not to do. It's not like he he forgot to leave the toilet seat down: he consciously did something that has a good chance of getting someone crippled or killed. Which as it turns out is exactly what happened.

Of course, the result was tragic. A man is dead. It was a serious mistake, but still just a mistake. Poor judgement, horrible idea, stupidity, idiocy, and he is to blame. But his deceased friend also unfortunately is to blame, as he had every chance to prevent it, to not sit with a drunken driver, to stop him from driving, to call a cab for both. 

He did not, shit happened, man is dead, the other forever marked by his unintentional horrible idiotic mistake. He paid the price, and I support the decision to give him a second chance to return to normal life. He was punished for it by the legal system.as well, he should be able to play football again.

What Rice and Peterson did is much much worse than what Brent did, even though no lives were taken. To intentionally, purposely, consciously grievously injure a woman, and even worse, to send a 4-year old kid to hospital should be severely punished and their  football career should be over. Even the new, harsher suspension policy should be skipped and an immediate lifetime ban should be asserted.

To think that a player can get suspended for an entire season for smoking weed, but only 6-9 games for child abuse is ridiculous.

FatedReality said:

PIT-BAL 1 MIA-BUF 1 JAC-WAS 1 DAL-TEN 2
ARI-NYG 1 NE-MIN 1 NO-CLE 1 ATL-CIN 2
DET-CAR 1 STL-TB 2 SEA-SD 1 HOU-OAK 1
NYJ-GB 2 KC-DEN 2 CHI-SF 2 PHI-IND IND by 3

Decided to change 2 of my predictions (Bolded picks) this week.

Survivor Millennial vs Gen X!!

burninmylight said:
PIT-BAL 1
MIA-BUF 1
JAC-WAS 2
DAL-TEN 2
ARI-NYG 2
NE-MIN 2
NO-CLE 1
ATL-CIN 2
DET-CAR 1
STL-TB 2
SEA-SD 1
HOU-OAK 1
NYJ-GB 2
KC-DEN 2
CHI-SF 2
PHI-IND 2 by 10

Too many visiting teams makes me feel uncomfortable about these picks. There will definitely be a change in the next few days.

PIT-BAL 1
MIA-BUF 1
JAC-WAS 2
DAL-TEN 2
ARI-NYG 1
NE-MIN 1
NO-CLE 1
ATL-CIN 2
DET-CAR 1
STL-TB 2
SEA-SD 1
HOU-OAK 1
NYJ-GB 2
KC-DEN 2
CHI-SF 2
PHI-IND 2 by 10

EIGHT ROAD TEAMS, OR HALF THE FREAKING LEAGUE!!!