By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has already managed to cut the costs of PS4 hardware production

Porcupine_I said:
Sony has also managed to cut the cost of the Xbox One

Sony engineers are fantastic, they can even make a 50% more powerfull gfx card perform the same as the inferior one.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Porcupine_I said:
Sony has also managed to cut the cost of the Xbox One

Ha ha ha.

kowenicki said:
Not surprising, as will Nintendo and MS have.

Its effectively over a year old now. Electronic component costs fall quickly.

Over a year now ??

No no, it's 8 months and half.  

By the way, it's good for Sony who can make fantastic bundles in high season at a fantastic price.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

kitler53 said:
good for sony. they really need ps4 to be profitable right now so i'm happy for them.

still,.. i hope they cut the price sooner than later. do that whole "deal" thing this holiday like MS typically does and then drop the price officially in spring. i want ps4 to keep it's momentum up and not let xbox claw it's way back to relevance.

too late, X1 price cut already made X1 relevant in the USA

TheDrill said:
kitler53 said:
good for sony. they really need ps4 to be profitable right now so i'm happy for them.

still,.. i hope they cut the price sooner than later. do that whole "deal" thing this holiday like MS typically does and then drop the price officially in spring. i want ps4 to keep it's momentum up and not let xbox claw it's way back to relevance.

Really? Was it just me or 2 weeks after the $400 sku the weekly base went back to 50k for the x1, while ps4 is still over 100k?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:

PS4 sales stood at 7 million in April although Sony has failed to provide an update since. PS3 and PS4 sold shipped a combined 3.4m units between April-June 2014, however, of which the vast majority are expected to be PS4.

Source: sony.net

Source: http://www.videogamer.com/news/sony_has_already_managed_to_cut_the_costs_of_ps4_hardware_production.html

walsufnir said:
theprof00 said:

Is this a joke, cuz I'm not sure I get it. You're the one talking in extremes saying that Sony's success is due to their hardware suppliers..

Unless you meant to write it like this: (bolded the changes)
That was likely more thanks to IBM than Sony. Like the whole development of the CELL, for instance.

The way you write it, it seems like all the cost savings measures past and current are due to external suppliers, and use one example as concrete proof. I figure you just might've been writing very vaguely. If you wrote it like my correction above, I'd have to agree.

I meant it this way, the CELL was and is a very complex chip to build and was a huge price factor in PS3, besides bluray.

And we weren't talking about success but about Sony so fast reducing the price of PS3 which was also because of IBM being able to produce the CELL cheaper.

I meant success in lowering the price.

But yes, you meant to write it more like how I wrote it. You were talking specifically about ps3. Be more careful with your pronouns. :D

TheDrill said:
kitler53 said:

It is even outselling the ps4 globally in US. Oooow no that was just on VGC, NPD had ps4 ahead by 30+% on June.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

TheDrill said:
kitler53 said:

too late, X1 price cut already made X1 *temporarily* relevant in the USA

I fixed your comment for better accuracy of the situation. Even VGC has the PS4 outselling the X1 in the US despite price parity.