By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has already managed to cut the costs of PS4 hardware production

Drop prices now Sony. Demolish M$ and make them an afterthought. Why? Because I hate M$.. duh

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network

PC-like architecture has its advantages. Every electroniic product, if produced in volumes large enough, enjoys costs drop, but for many reasons PC CPUs and GPUs manage to do better than average at that.
Probably, as long as PS4 keeps safely WW sales leadership, Sony will prefer higher profit margin to higher sales.
The right time for the first price cut could be August 2015.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

silentdj151 said:
pokoko said:

It's just that "pure profit" typically means no or an inconsequential amount of overhead.  For example, if someone gave you a Norwegian Forest Cat for free and you turned around and sold it for $30, that would be pure profit.

Nothing is free and nothing is pure profit.  Everything has an associated cost, even when you steal something it takes time.

Uh.  I'm not sure ... what?  We're talking about the typical meaning for the term as it applies to financial ramifications, not a philosophical debate.  I don't care about the cost of the bowl of water you had to give to the cat.  That falls under "inconsequential".  If you list the time it takes to steal something on your taxes as billable hours, then we can talk.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what this is about.

The term is simply used when there is no substantial monetary investment or related loss.  Why bother arguing about that?

Now all sony has to do is release a $299 PS4 this year. But they wouldn't though since they don't need it.If sales remains at ~500k/month in through most of 215 too then we will be lucky to get aprice drop in 2015. Unless MS drops their price to $299 this holiday season

Awesome news, and like I said in the Sony financials thread this bodes very well for Sony's profitability in gaming.

They posted 43 million profit in Q1 in gaming without any heavy hitters and the production costs still being relatively high. The next few years should be fantastic for them.

Around the Network

It doesn't need a price drop it needs a bigger hard drive. I won't get one until that happens. What concerns me is they're selling out of almost every one that they ship out, so they might not want to give a better value just yet.

http://howmuchaction.blogspot.com tells you how much action is in movies.

pokoko said:
silentdj151 said:
pokoko said:

It's just that "pure profit" typically means no or an inconsequential amount of overhead.  For example, if someone gave you a Norwegian Forest Cat for free and you turned around and sold it for $30, that would be pure profit.

Nothing is free and nothing is pure profit.  Everything has an associated cost, even when you steal something it takes time.

Uh.  I'm not sure ... what?  We're talking about the typical meaning for the term as it applies to financial ramifications, not a philosophical debate.  I don't care about the cost of the bowl of water you had to give to the cat.  That falls under "inconsequential".  If you list the time it takes to steal something on your taxes as billable hours, then we can talk.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what this is about.

The term is simply used when there is no substantial monetary investment or related loss.  Why bother arguing about that?

Your time has a montery value...with your example it doesn't take into account the associated costs. It  is not pure profit. 

Peacefront said:
It doesn't need a price drop it needs a bigger hard drive. I won't get one until that happens. What concerns me is they're selling out of almost every one that they ship out, so they might not want to give a better value just yet.

Changing PS4 HDD is a piece of cake. In Xbox One in which if you change HDD you void warranty. But in PS4 its easy and keeps the guarantee.

Announcing this is basically Sony saying to MS: 'We're ready to match any price cuts.'

The PS5 Exists. 

silentdj151 said:

Your time has a montery value...with your example it doesn't take into account the associated costs. It  is not pure profit. 

Look, let's just ASSUME that the person in my example was not at work so they were not being paid for their time, therefore there is no monetary loss in that regard.  Okay?  They were outside, thinking about what a boring day it was and how they wished someone with a cat would walk by.

I have no idea why you are arguing about this.  It doesn't even make sense so I'm just going to ignore it.