By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

Bisa said:

Close to the end of this season, what would you consider your top 5 shows this year?

Boarding School Juliet is my AOTS at this point...extremely unlikely to change unless the last two eps really blow. Super enjoyable rom-com with two awesome MCs that just doesn't waste time with harem nonsense. Probably has my favorite male and female this season too, which is pretty impressive considering how many golden-haired ladies there are this season. Already planning an immediate rewatch..and will probably jump into the manga too unless a new season gets confirmed right away.

Following that I'd say: Jojo, Zombieland Saga, Slime, and Gridman. Last one could plummet though...really depends on how the big twist plays out...really skeptical about Trigger shows after Kiznaiver and DarFranxx.

Edit: I see you're talking about year...I need to think more about that one. I'll make my list later.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network

Zombieland Saga -- My unquestioned favorite anime of the season.  Great direction, characters, and voice acting.  The comedy is spot-on.  There were a couple slow episodes during Ai's melodramatic arc that made me wonder if it was cooling off from the excellent start--and one of the best opening 2 minutes in anime history--but it's back to being awesome.  

Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken -- It's not without problems but it's a shining star in a genre filled with rubbish.  That it's intelligent, and the main character uses his intelligence to move forward in a new world, really sets it apart.  Good voice acting for the main character, too.  

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru -- It's an anime about running but it's really not.  It's about a main character who is prickly and disagreeable but is being pulled back toward learning how to coexist with others by the motley group of guys sharing the same apartment building.  I had my doubts because it's almost all guys but it's actually really good.  

Akanesasu Shoujo -- I'm kind of shocked to say that this has quietly and unexpectedly become one of the best anime of the season.  It seemed pretty average at first, other than the really good comedy bits, but instead it turned out to have one of the more ambitious plotlines among this crop of anime.  I'm actually really interested to see where it's going with the King of Twilight consuming alternate dimensions one by one.  Also, the actress playing all the different versions of Akane is doing a fantastic job.

Himote House -- It's random and uneven but when it's good it's so much fun.  That it has one of the best opening songs of the last several years doesn't hurt.

Edit:  Oh, year?  Um.  

Last edited by pokoko - on 09 December 2018

I watched too much at the beginning and the end of the year to make an accurate list yet. But Golden Kamuy will definitely be in top 5 if not first.

Saw Jean Claude van Damme talking about Cowboy bepop,  trying to get his son on the netflix show =p? 

But his son loves cowboy bepop tho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdRxrLTnN8s

It's gonna be real easy to make a top 5 of this year considering the embarrassingly low amount of animes I watched this year.

Sora yori mo Tooi Basho
Yuru Camp
Mitsuboshi Colors
Hisone to Maso-tan
Zombieland Saga

Honorable mention goes out to Kokkoku with an extremely interesting premise and flawless presentation. It had some pacing issues but other than that I can recommend this to everyone.

Overall quite a disappointing year. For the first time since 2013 I had no 10 rated anime. In the last stellar year I had three of those!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Zombieland Saga 11 -- This show just keeps getting better and better. It also managed to throw in a hint of something I wasn't expecting at all. So many things. How the hell can this just be 12 episodes? WHAT ABOUT TAE-CHAN?

pokoko said:
Zombieland Saga 11 -- This show just keeps getting better and better. It also managed to throw in a hint of something I wasn't expecting at all. So many things. How the hell can this just be 12 episodes? WHAT ABOUT TAE-CHAN?

I had to rewatch the part with Tatsumi and the bartender...who I'm pretty sure has a popular voice actor but I'm too lazy to check. I've been curious for a while if he's also zombie...or something more extreme. I was also wondering why the courtesan girl is the only without an explained backstory...now I'm wondering if she's just known these two much much longer. Interesting @_@

And the rest was fantastic too...gosh just one more episode seems like a cruel joke. Apparently sales for DVD/BR and merch for this show are through the roof so hopefully we get more content quickly. 

Super_Boom said:
pokoko said:

I had to rewatch the part with Tatsumi and the bartender...who I'm pretty sure has a popular voice actor but I'm too lazy to check. I've been curious for a while if he's also zombie...or something more extreme. I was also wondering why the courtesan girl is the only without an explained backstory...now I'm wondering if she's just known these two much much longer. Interesting @_@

And the rest was fantastic too...gosh just one more episode seems like a cruel joke. Apparently sales for DVD/BR and merch for this show are through the roof so hopefully we get more content quickly. 

It seems that people believe the bartender is a legendary Chinese alchemist.  The way Tatsumi completely dodged the "but why are we zombies" question at the beginning was really funny but it was obvious there was more to it.  Your average talent manager doesn't know how to raise zombies from the dead.  Not to mention the fact that Yugiri should have long since turned into bones unless she was already preserved somehow.  

Tatsumi's pep talks are the best.  He does this little "if that's the way you feel" thing and acts like he gives up then suddenly it's "YOU DUMBASS ZOMBIE."  As far as what he really is, I remember being suspicious about why he'd be so good at making zombies look human.

And Tae-chan is Zombie 0 ...

There has to be at least an OVA afterwards.

Finished quite a few sequel seasons.

My Hero Academia Season 3- Some amazingly hype stuff in this season. For quite awhile there, I was listening to "Just Another Hero" every day. I am glad for the character developments, and although there are some common shounen problems, there were still a few surprises. I look forward to more hype stuff and especially hope that the MC becomes pretty OP now. United States of SMASH!!!!!

Attack on Titan Season 3 part 1- A much more lax season compared to the last two. It wasn't too bad, but the anime/manga shouldn't have made it so obvious what was going to happen. Either way I am glad they apparently delayed part 2 for a bigger budget for some more top tier action. I do laugh at just how lame Eren can be sometimes, and it always seems like he just won't be very strong. Erwin on the other hand is the definition of inspiring. I am so hyped for his next charge, similar to the one in the past.

Overlord Season 2 and 3- From a pathetic main character to a supremely overpowered main character. CGI sucks but I have a strong imagination so it is very insane how strong he is compared to others. The amount of depth in this show is quite pronounced. The comedy, action, bleakness, fantasy, and everything else merge to form an expertly crafted show. While the early seasons tried to keep some humanity, this last season did not pull any punches. My only problem is that there is still a lame dude that needs to be brutally murdered, mister Climb. I look forward to his future interactions with Renair.

Looks like Zombieland Saga is the first of my seasonals to finish up. Really fun anime overall, that last song was crazy! Wasn't expecting Tatsumi to be a high school peer (I think?) of Sakura's, that adds some extra weight to his declaration last episode. Feel like it left a lot of loose ends though, hopefully there isn't much time before this gets a continuation.

Current backlog anime is Kiniro Mosaic. Feels weird seeing me in an anime. I should file a lawsuit on Shinobu for stealing my character. 

Really good show though, kinda reminded me of Yuru Yuri without the love triangles and twice the blondes. And having Chitoge and Erina's voice actresses in the main cast made it even better. I finished season 1 earlier...will probably start season 2 when I get back from Christmas vacation.