By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

Super_Boom said:
Man I freaking hate Netflix. I had my eye on Violet Evergarden, only found out Netflix picked it up this season. Normally I'd be whatever about it, I get it's a business and they want to be competitive, and who doesn't have Netflix anyway...but delaying the release of the whole show until the season is already over just seems shitty to me. I honesty don't get what advantage there is for your consumer to release it all at once rather than simulcasting it. Not everyone wants to binge anime after everyone's already talked about it.

It sucks for people who want to enjoy this hobby legally, I honestly feel vindicated pirating anime with garbage like this happening. Well I say that...but I still haven't touched Little Witch Academia, which Netflix also scooped and held hostage for three months.

That's it for my rant. Dog poll will end tomorrow. If you have an idea for a new poll let me know, otherwise I'll come up with something random.

You should do a poll on binge watching versus watching weekly episode release. 😼

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:

You should do a poll on binge watching versus watching weekly episode release. 😼

Ha! Great idea :P

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

I have no idea what Death March is. I'll have to wait for them to introduce at least one girl to know if I like it. Looks like a drop though, since the anime is already so focused on the most boring human on earth.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni is a surprise hit for me. I really didn't want to like it but main girl is just so fucking adorable. Looks like a really pleasant low key romance comedy.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Well this anime season has a very strong lineup, we have:
Violet Evergarden: Beautiful art, kinda cliché story and characters so far, I'm numb to these machine learning human emotions and loves someone premises.

Sangatsu no lion: Amazing, love the story, the animation, and art, emotional and funny and heartwarming.

Mahoutsukai no Yome: Love the setting and art, I wish it could have a more structured focus in terms of a narrative, I feel like the story still hasn't gone into high gear as yet.

One Piece: Started watching it since the New Year, love the characters and the story and the expressive art style, wish the fights were more technically sound since it's very lightly animated.

Yowamushi Pedal: Glory Line: It's still a good show, love the characters though I feel that using 3D animation in some instances hurts the show.

Dragon Ball Super: A rough start but the newest arc is the most hype thing I've seen so far, animation can range from horrid to dynamic and energetic, the new transformation is worth the hype.

Gintama 2018: After a less than stellar 2017 season where the comedy was kinda cheap this new season finally plays to its strengths with a gripping final story filled with fun moments and fight scenes.

Devilman: Crybaby: A fresh and edgy anime that modernizes the manga in all the right ways, with original, abstract and energetic animation, a great story with a brisk pace, characters that push the narrative in meaningful ways, a legendary soundtrack and overall the best show to start 2018 with.

adisababa said:

Don't forget to also watch the good animes this season like Sora yori mou tooi bashou and Kokkoku.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
adisababa said:

Don't forget to also watch the good animes this season like Sora yori mou tooi bashou and Kokkoku.

I tend to veer away from 7/10 rated anime but these 2 do look interesting, definitely going to watch it during the weekend...

adisababa said:
vivster said:

I tend to veer away from 7/10 rated anime but these 2 do look interesting, definitely going to watch it during the weekend...

You shouldn't give aggregated ratings any credit whatsoever. Especially not early in a season.

Cardcaptor Sakura from this season was No 1 of all time on MAL for a short period.

vivster said:
adisababa said:

You shouldn't give aggregated ratings any credit whatsoever. Especially not early in a season.

Cardcaptor Sakura from this season was No 1 of all time on MAL for a short period.

Not to mention that Houseki no Kuni started out below 7 despite being one of the best anime of the last several years.  

MAL ratings can take a long walk off a short cat.  

I personally think it’s idiotic that MAL lets you rate an anime before finishing it anyway. I can’t remember the number of times a show subverted my expectations, either with an interesting plot development later or just squandering all its potential. The site either needs to block reviews for the first month, or have two separate scores depending on when they were made.

That being said, the final score there works fine as an aggregate, provided you don’t treat it as anything more than that. It basically tells me how the general anime community feels about the show. Whether or not I agree is another story.

Basically the same as Metacritic honestly.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:

I personally think it’s idiotic that MAL lets you rate an anime before finishing it anyway. I can’t remember the number of times a show subverted my expectations, either with an interesting plot development later or just squandering all its potential. The site either needs to block reviews for the first month, or have two separate scores depending on when they were made.

That being said, the final score there works fine as an aggregate, provided you don’t treat it as anything more than that. It basically tells me how the general anime community feels about the show. Whether or not I agree is another story.

Basically the same as Metacritic honestly.

I don't think it's bad that you're able to rate immediately. It can be an indicator for great shows, which might not be that popular otherwise. It doesn't really hurt having early unstable scores. Even if a show gets unfairly rated too low in the beginning, the people turned off by that wouldn't have watched or enjoyed that show anyway.

The score doesn't mean much anyway. I mean No. 50 on the all time charts is barely 0.5 above No. 350.