By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

Dagashi Kashi -- seriously, is anyone NOT on Team Saya? I mean, I like crazy boobs girl fine but the win should go to Saya.

Around the Network

Honest question.Why are a lot of MCs in anime, dumb but powerful or have some unique ability/power along with being dumb? It's just something I always wondered about.

pokoko said:

Edit:  I fear our resident tsundere-lover is going to use his powers to cheat.

Aeolus451 said:
Honest question.Why are a lot of MCs in anime, dumb but powerful or have some unique ability/power along with being dumb? It's just something I always wondered about.

Apart from being a trope, it's used as a balance to justify making your MC overpowered. Perfect characters run the risk of being boring, so giving them a flaw makes them more relatable, and if done well, keeps them out of Gary Stu territory.

As for if it accomplishes that goal...I guess that depends on how it's executed. 

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

*Starts watching Shin Sekai Yori
Hmm, interesting

*Finishes watching episode 3
...Time to get weird...yay...

Super_Boom said:
pokoko said:

That's awfully cute.

Oh, cats, I forgot we had more than one tsundere-lover with access to power.  I meant Ver- ... someone else, though all those in power must be monitored carefully.

Very.  Carefully.

EDIT: Boom's cat is awesome.

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:
pokoko said:

Aeolus451 said:

Apart from being a trope, it's used as a balance to justify making your MC overpowered. Perfect characters run the risk of being boring, so giving them a flaw makes them more relatable, and if done well, keeps them out of Gary Stu territory.

As for if it accomplishes that goal...I guess that depends on how it's executed. 

I do watch alot of anime with that trope and I like 'em but it's honestly getting old. I just wish the characters were a little smarter or just more complex in general. The irregular at Magic High School is perfect example of the MC being powerful and complex as a character. Same thing with Darker Than Black. 

pokoko said:
Dagashi Kashi -- seriously, is anyone NOT on Team Saya? I mean, I like crazy boobs girl fine but the win should go to Saya.

YES! SayaxKokonotsu are my favorite pair of the season! As for Hotaru,I believe she'd rather eat candy then date someone xD

Versus_Evil said:
Sorry guys but no contest

Agreed, no contest... 

pokoko said:

That's awfully cute.

Oh, cats, I forgot we had more than one tsundere-lover with access to power.  I meant Ver- ... someone else, though all those in power must be monitored carefully.

Very.  Carefully.

*sweats* Please have mercy. I probably won't abuse my power outside of editing pictures of my cat into your posts. But that's the opposite of a problem!

------------

In other news, I'm all caught up with Assassination Classroom. Took me a while due to other stuff...lots of Ouya fans to ban and such. It does seem to be moving pretty quickly, but the last few episodes have great IMO. Can't wait to see what happens.

Probably gonna add Dagashi Kashi to my seasonal list now. I see people talking about it and sounds like something up my alley.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Come on Rei, I believe in you! We can still win this!