By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Super Official Anime Discussion Thread

Well, Asterisk is done until Spring. Overall, I give the first cour about a 7.5/10. It's really nothing impressive, but it was at least entertaining enough for killing 20 minutes once a week. I still have to watch Rakudai to see which I liked more, since I dropped Rakudai around episode four for no reason in particular, but I doubt it will impress me anymore.

At the least, I'm looking forward to the second cour of Asterisk.

Around the Network

Also, damn you guys have been quiet. We're reaching the end of the season. Where are the hopes, the dreams, and the disgruntled posts about how shows have gone or how they're concluding? Where is the praise, the completely biased AOTY picks, and the praise for the best oppai of the season?

I mean, I can still see my OPM post at the top of the last page, and I posted that not long after OPM popped up on illicit streaming sites last Sunday.

I'm still catching up to stuff. Subete ga F ni Naru is the only one I finished so far and it got its deserved 9/10.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

LuckyTrouble said:

Also, damn you guys have been quiet. We're reaching the end of the season. Where are the hopes, the dreams, and the disgruntled posts about how shows have gone or how they're concluding? Where is the praise, the completely biased AOTY picks, and the praise for the best oppai of the season?

I mean, I can still see my OPM post at the top of the last page, and I posted that not long after OPM popped up on illicit streaming sites last Sunday.

Guess that would be a bit easier for me if I tried to catch up since I'm behind with almost everything I also got sidetracked and attempted to sit through Makura no Danshi but we don't need to talk about that...

Both Rakudai and Asterisk were 5/10 for me with the latter being slightly better ...

In other words neither good or bad but I preferred Asterisk more when it had better battle scenes and more potential as far as interesting backgrounds go ...

Around the Network

It's been an odd season. Some things have been excellent but I've dropped a lot of another series. Almost all the shounen battle stuff was sub-par for me and I'm happier that I'm not trying to watch them. Thank god for One Piece.

Otherwise, I'm loving Rabbit House, Yuru Yuri, One Punch Man, Perfect Insider, Sakurako-san, and Gintama. I'm also enjoying Shomin Sample, much to my surprise, at least when it's wacky and unpredictable.

Shows that I've kept on with:

Owari no Seraph - Way better than season one. Still not great, but better. Less melodramatic, more plot progression and decent character development. It looks like it's gearing up for an exciting conclusion to the second season.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
- This one took me by surprise, and although some episodes have been a touch slow, the pacing has felt pretty good for what will be a two cour show. Characters are interesting as you see these kids grow into warriors and leaders, the plot is interesting as a political struggle leaves the independence of the citizens of Mars in the balance, and the action is pretty nice since the show seems to actually have a decent animation budget. I look forward to watching it through next season.

Asterisk - It was okay. Not great, not horrible, but very average. The second cour will probably be entertaining, at the least, but I don't expect it to transcend the label of average.

Heavy Object - Another one that I'm glad is getting a 24 episode season. I was really unsure after the first episode, but now I love the characters and the way they've managed to weave these somewhat disjointed events together into a relatively cohesive plot. Like some other anime, it's largely just scenarios that take two to three episodes to resolve until the next situation in some other faraway place can happen, but it's refreshing in its own way.

Sakurako - This one has been relatively up and down. I love parts of it, but I think this final major conflict was really shoehorned in. Yeah, it was hinted at throughout the season, but Sakurako just knowing all about it feels off. That aside, the character development has been decent, and I've enjoyed the show week after week. It won't be one of my top picks of the season, but it has been a good run. Here's to hoping it finishes strong next week.

Antimagic Academy
- The final plotline has, by far, been the most quality aspect of the show. It's one of few things that feels like it didn't just come out of nowhere as yet another disjointed plot device. The storytelling in this show really leaves a lot to be desired, and the action does not make up for the haphazard progression of events. The finale will probably be kind of interesting, but in the end, it's just another action/harem show that does nothing to break the mold with too many of its own faults to be a show anybody will be talking about in years to come.

One Punch Man - Best of the season, by far. It's the only show that I have consistently enjoyed, start to finish of every episode, week after week all season. It's silly, cool, and highly entertaining. I don't expect a second season anytime soon since apparently the manga content isn't all that far beyond the show, but I do hope we get one in the future since Saitama is too interesting to relegate to a mere 12 episodes forever.

There are some shows I plan on going back to, like K: Return of Kings, Rakudai, and Shomin Sample. I at least plan on checking out Perfect Insider. I finished the first season of Haikyuu the other day and will be following it as it continues into next season.

At the moment, I'd say the season ultimately turned out fairly weak. There were a couple of good shows, but overall, shows either tried too hard to be unique, or were far too content sticking to standard tropes. If it weren't for One Punch Man, I'd honestly think this season was pretty crap since there would only be maybe one or two shows I would genuinely consider good otherwise that were actually new to the season and not continuations.

Well it was obvious very early who would win the fight between Cavalry and Asterisk. Antimagic Academy.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
I'm still catching up to stuff. Subete ga F ni Naru is the only one I finished so far and it got its deserved 9/10.

Yeah same here. Im only watching 6 animes, but im quite far (like 2-3 episodes) of 4 of them. But i also finished Subete and I gave it an 8/10. (I'll post my reasons later when im finished with this season) 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Apparently D.Gray Man is getting a new anime adaptation in 2016: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-12-20/d.gray-man-manga-gets-new-tv-anime-series-in-2016-with-new-cast/.96729

Hopefully it ends up better than the first adaptation. Despite MAL's 8.2 rating for it, I watched around ten episodes and found the original lacking and repetitive. It isn't clear if this will be some kind of story continuation or if it will be a completely new from the ground up work, but either way I'll probably give it a shot and hope that the storytelling procedures for the material have improved in the past decade.