By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Reaches 2.82mil Worldwide in Just 1 Month (32 Days/33 for Japan)

YoyOne said:
Vena said:
YoyOne said:
MK8 is the only thing to be happy about though...
3DS and Wii U hardware sales are absolutely terrible and a lot under VGchartz estimates...

Try reading the months of the quarterly reports. VGChartz didn't stop on June, it is now end of July. Q1 ended 1 month ago.

VGC is actually probably very close on WiiU estimates.

Quarter (april to june) hardware sales from Nintendo : 3DS = 0,82 million, Wii U = 0,51 million

Quarter (april to june) hardware sales from VGchartz : 3DS = 1,50 million, Wii U = 0,69 million

I would love VGchartz numbers to be true, but they are not...

Don't forget that hardware sales numbers from Nintendo are effectively "shipped". Wii U was understocked in a lot of places at the start of the quarter, whereas 3DS was in fairly good supply. The situation has somewhat reversed now, which would explain the difference fairly well.

Note that Nintendo has Wii U at 6.68 million LTD while VGChartz had it at 6.58 million. Similarly, Nintendo has 3DS at 44.14 million LTD while VGChartz has it at 43.85 million. This is what typically happens. I don't think the VGChartz numbers are particularly inaccurate.

Around the Network
Gammalad said:
What else is Nintendo spending on to be not making a profit from this? Are they going on a massive buying spree we aren't aware of?

The Wii U still not leaving money. That guy said that the new production of Wii Us, that would be needed to reach the forecast, would lead to the Wii U becoming profitable, so the Wii U is still unprofitable, it should begin leaving money, once it gets closer to its forecast.

COMG guide to points: 1 point = Raging. 2 points = Beasting. 3 points = Tearing it up. 4 points = Berzerk. 7 points = Rampage. 12 points = Burst. 15 points = god mode. 20+ points = DIVIDING BY ZERO!!! 40+ points = Youkai (originally Pokemon).

-1 = Negabeasting. -5= NegaRampage. -10 = NegaBurst

Hangon - I'm confused. I'm seeing posts saying the figures in this quarterly release are shipped, and others saying they're sold, and one post is asking the OP to adjust his post to say 'sold' and not 'shipped'. Is anyone able to confirm which is correct and provide proof to back it up?

RenCutypoison said:
DanneSandin said:
That's damn good numbers by MK8, but the sad part is that 80% of those sales sold to existing Wii U owners apparently. Nintendo needs to sell to none existing costumers

The problem is, people wought a wii U knowing that MK would eventually be there. So it did push the sales, but it can't be quantified.

To push sales now, they need to surprise people. Because most people who are interested in classic nintendo Ips already bought wii U. They kinda did it with e3 2014 announcement though

Well, that's kind of the point, isn't it? They need to attract new costumers, not just the old Nintendo faithful

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
RenCutypoison said:

The problem is, people wought a wii U knowing that MK would eventually be there. So it did push the sales, but it can't be quantified.

To push sales now, they need to surprise people. Because most people who are interested in classic nintendo Ips already bought wii U. They kinda did it with e3 2014 announcement though

Well, that's kind of the point, isn't it? They need to attract new costumers, not just the old Nintendo faithful

They wouldn't want to loose the old nintendo faithful either, that's all they have right now =p

Around the Network

I agree VGC has both consoles in a pretty good place.

Mario Kart however could be undertracked. We have it at 2.2m now, while apparently it was at 2.86m a month ago. With the additional weeks on top of that number, the 2.2m could be almost a million under the real figure. I doubt it sold that much digitally...

YoyOne said:
Vena said:
YoyOne said:
MK8 is the only thing to be happy about though...
3DS and Wii U hardware sales are absolutely terrible and a lot under VGchartz estimates...

Try reading the months of the quarterly reports. VGChartz didn't stop on June, it is now end of July. Q1 ended 1 month ago.

VGC is actually probably very close on WiiU estimates.

Quarter (april to june) hardware sales from Nintendo : 3DS = 0,82 million, Wii U = 0,51 million

Quarter (april to june) hardware sales from VGchartz : 3DS = 1,50 million, Wii U = 0,69 million

I would love VGchartz numbers to be true, but they are not...

Check the lifetime sales. 

What mere mortal actually thought Mario Kart 8 would not sell well when the Wii versiosn sold 35 million copies?

shipped + digital, right?

Don't know.  Some say it's shipped, some are saying its sold - I'm curious to know (with proof) which it is.