By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Q1 Earnings April-June

Vena said:
phaedruss said:

They can easily have backwards compatibility with the Wii U through software emulation.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123332822&postcount=773

Do you really think a handheld (with a battery and limited power draws) can software emulate a console? Yes, they "can" do it by software emulation, no they won't do it by software emulation because of reality.

Sorry I was talking about the next console not the handheld. But yes they can have backwards compatibility without a ppc cpu.

Around the Network
padib said:

@bold. Closer than others may predictions but not at the same time that just doesn't make sense. The U came out in 2012 its successor will release at least a year after the handheld's successor.

@next posts. U compatibility won't be by software emulation, it will be via ports as Vena hinted. It's most logical given what Nintendo mentioned about having the same game across different platforms via API (not emulation) and given raw power required for emulation.

It makes sense because they will be essentially be the same platform, like an iPad and an iPhone.

padib said:
phaedruss said:
padib said:

@bold. Closer than others may predictions but not at the same time that just doesn't make sense. The U came out in 2012 its successor will release at least a year after the handheld's successor.

@next posts. U compatibility won't be by software emulation, it will be via ports as Vena hinted. It's most logical given what Nintendo mentioned about having the same game across different platforms via API (not emulation) and given raw power required for emulation.

It makes sense because they will be essentially be the same platform, like an iPad and an iPhone.

I think that the latest iPan can realistically emulate the latest iPhone, but not the other way around. I think it's the same thing for Nintendo handhelds versus home consoles.

Also, it doesn't match with Nintendo's own statements, that the unification of software will be done via a common API and OS. I can fetch the quote if you need it.

Huh? I was talking about your response to me about the handheld and console releasing at the same time. As far as the API and OS thing, I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

padib said:

Anyway, to respond, I think that it doesn't work that way just yet for Nintendo, they are struggling to capitalize on the U, and tend to take more time to R&D their home consoles. I don't think it will come out in parallel with the new handheld.

Leaving my quote tree at lvl 4 to show how confusing your reply was.

Sorry but I thought that the "it makes sense" part of my response would make it clear. But I get what you're saying about the API thing which would then mean they wouldn't need PPC to be able to play Wii U games on the handheld because they're "absorbing" the wii u's architecture which I take to refer to the API and OS right? Ugh I feel like we've had this conversation before lol. I suppose I shouldn't be saying "emulation" since it's not the same thing.

As far as releasing the handheld and console at the same time, it won't matter as long as the API is in place right? Development of games on the handheld will also be development of games for the console. Also, they need to drop the wii u as fast as possible and 4 years is fine I think.

ICStats said:

Interesting question in this Nintendo shareholder Q&A.

wttp://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/140627qa/03.html

"I have been a shareholder of Nintendo only since last year and I am a bit surprised by the fact that Mr. Takeda, chairperson of this meeting, has no more than 200 shares of stock in this company and that except for Mr. Iwata, who owns 6,700 shares, the other directors also have only 100 or 200 shares each. I do not think such small stakes in the company will give you incentive to do your best, and I was wondering if you were just working as salaried employees. Why do you not increase the number of shares the management team holds?"

Fair point really.  It doesn't inspire confidence when company directors have peanuts investments in the company.

That's not abnormal at all.

Around the Network

Does nobody else find it strange that we have 3.5m 3DS sold this year, but they've only shipped 1.4m ....

750k sold in US, 1.06m in  Japan, and you have to assume about the same for others as US, 750k. That's 2.5m~

Seece said:
Does nobody else find it strange that we have 3.5m 3DS sold this year, but they've only shipped 1.4m ....

750k sold in US, 1.06m in US, and you have to assume about the same for others as US, 750k. That's 2.5m~

I was just about to make a thread about this, the PS4 outshipped the 3DS last quarter by probably more than 3 to 1 but is only supposed to have sold about 140k more??? That doesn't sound right to me at all.

Seece said:

750k sold in US, 1.06m in  Japan, and you have to assume about the same for others as US, 750k. That's 2.5m~

Has 3DS ever been tracked well? I feel like it's the one console constantly overtracked. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

tbone51 said:
Pavolink said:
2.82M for MK8. It already outsold 3DWorld + DKCTF in just one month. Amazing.

Tell that to polygon, of course they'll try to spin it somehow >_>

We need to spam polygon web with those numbers.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
tbone51 said:
Pavolink said:
2.82M for MK8. It already outsold 3DWorld + DKCTF in just one month. Amazing.

Tell that to polygon, of course they'll try to spin it somehow >_>

We need to spam polygon web with those numbers.

They'll come up with another excuse just like when MK8 sold 1.2mil FW :0