By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny will disintegrate COD (Part 2)

sales2099 said:
kitler53 said:
sales2099 said:
I think everybody knows this. Also Activision publishes both and is voluntarily giving Destiny more marketing time. They are essentially killing off COD faster then it is dieing on its own steam.

What people do wonder is if Destiny can match COD sales in its peak years and can hold onto it like COD did for so long.

i just think that bit is odd.  i mean, i was just a few months ago they announced AW and stated they are up to 3 dedicated development teams now.  surely they need CoD to keep selling or they'll lose a lot of money no matter how much destiny brings in, right?

I figure Destiny gets its opening year big push and 2015 is back to COD in the spotlight. Besides, COD is still going to be profitable regardless, just less so this year.

i dunno,. the way CoD things are going i'm not sure  CoD can recover next year.  we'll see about profitabliltiy.  not sure how many it needs to sell to recoup cost but i just feel the sales drop off is going to be huge with AW.   massively huge.

Around the Network

Code has being wearing out due to yearly sequels and few changes between games. Consumers want something new. Advance Warfare is in a futuristic environement because Titanfall, and Destiny will be more comfortable in that area.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

time will tell. at the moment, it looks that way.

ghosts shittyness didnt help it any.

It won't disintegrate COD.
You trust these numbers way too much. And Destiny comes out in a month a half whereas COD comes out in more than 3 months. If CODs pre order numbers are still low closer to its launch, then I think COD will be in trouble.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

far too early to say destiny is the new cod, it has to actually be released and hold people's attention longer than 2 months like titan fall did before it can be expected to take cod's crown.

not to mention cod is being developed by sledge hammer, fans may not trust the new guy and be waiting on the regulars. Treyarch is the majority of cod player's favorite dev team.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Around the Network

Destiny can sell better as one CoD but as long as Destiny won't be a yearly franchise, CoD will still sell more units over the years.

What I just wonder is

1. Why does Activison seem to advertise less for CoD this year? Maybe I'm wrong with that but I remember that I saw already CoD advertisement in the last Champions League games of 2012 and 2013 and Champions League ends in May... I still didn't see any CoD ad on German TV (also no Destiny ad for those who say Activision replaced them with Destiny ads)

2. Why does it seem that many CoD fans stopped caring about the franchise from one to the next year? I mean, we have Destiny now but nothing in Destiny is really what made CoD so successful so that I can't imagine how the average CoD multiplayer fan thinks that Destiny will be a great replacement for him now.

Was maybe CoD Ghosts also a huge disappointment for CoD fans so that the last CoD destroys pre-orders for the new one?

Well, CoD has more time before release and is a yearly franchise. I doubt Destiny will be a yearly franchise considering its MMO style play. They'll probably try to build a strong player base first and then add purchasable DLC content as time goes on.

But to be honest, CoD has been killing CoD for the last few years. Players are gradually going to get tired of the same franchise unless it seriously innovates.

There's the fact that COD is a lot farther from release than destiny. The numbers for pre orders will be a lot lower than Destiny, but that doesn't mean sales will be. I'm hoping you're right though. It's time for COD to die I think. I had it's time in light, but it's been there too long.

Even as someone who actually likes COD (some of them, anyway) I'd be pleased to see it fall off its high horse.

If Destiny disintegrates CoD, then guess what will happen? Activision will exploit the new franchise and release a new Destiny game every fall of every year.