By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the big whoop about K Rool and the Kremlings?

K. Rool is the main villain in the DKC series and DK64, 4 very well selling and highly praised games. He had some pretty epic boss fights (DKC1 and DKC2 in particular), and he and the Kremlings had more personality than Bowser and his minions back in the SNES an N64 days. He's bound to have a somewhat loyal fanbase based on these reasons and would probably be a good addition to SSB4 roster because the game needs more villains and heavy characters.

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:
KLXVER said:
Nostalgia

/Thread

spemanig said:
Ultrashroomz said:
KLXVER said:
Nostalgia

/Thread

Who wants to see how big we can get this type of quote tree?

fleischr said:
Think along the lines of Mario with no goombas, koopas, or Bowser and you'll understand.

Done!

noname2200 said:
fleischr said:
Think along the lines of Mario with no goombas, koopas, or Bowser and you'll understand.

Done!

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
KLXVER said:
Nostalgia

/Thread

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Most of Nintendo's best character ideas came from the late 80's-90's. Nobody will know or ever want to know the Snowmads. King K. Rool is just that villain that had a good run and needs a spot in smash. If King doesn't make it... I just want more villains in smash, that's all.

IMHO Snowmads, koopas, goombas and shyguys are all far superior to Kremlings. And bowser far better than K.rool. I think this is partly because of the graphics and designs. The pre-rendered graphics might have seems great at the time (Though they've aged badly) But the pre-rendered characters often seemed fuzzy and less memorable than the crisp clear spirit designs of other games.

I like the old donkey kong country games, and have some nostalgia for them, but I'd have to say the new ones are better.

You could argue the originals were more innovative. The new ones only aim to innovate in terms of level design. But the old ones were never innovative games. They were a competent mash-up of pre-existing platforming ideas. But with some truly great music and graphics that did seem good at the time.

Clyde32 said:

I can't seem to figure this one out. 

Many people want him for Smash, I wouldn't object to it, but he isn't on my list of most wanted characters. He's not even that good of a character to begin with. Same with the Kremlings. I have a friend who really loves K Rool and he wants him in Smash Bros so bad he can taste it. He got so hopeful when the kremlings appeared in Smash Run. 

Another note is when the opening movie for DKC: TF was released, I saw someone say, and I quote, "Come on guys, enough of this, just bring back the kremlings". Once again, why? The Snomads were an excellent enemy. They froze and captured not a banana hoard, not a monkey, but an entire island. 

My biggest question is why? What is so special about K Rool? 

Because he just looks bad ass AND...he's the original nemesis for DKC. It would be like Mario fighting someone else other than Bowser.

prayformojo said:

Because he just looks bad ass AND...he's the original nemesis for DKC. It would be like Mario fighting someone else other than Bowser.