By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One China. FULL DETAILS EMERGE. MS aren't messing about.

Tagged games:

This is exactly what Microsoft should've done with Japan and the 360. Get a bunch of launch games by Japanese developers, partner with a huge Japanese company (Toshiba perhaps?) and then released the 360 in 2006.

At least they have seem to learn their lesson and Xbox One should do OK in China.

Around the Network
tiffac said:
binary solo said:
Goatseye said:

I don't think they would/will express that sentiment towards Japanese entertainment boxes.

Possibly not. But I wonder if anyone has actually done an analysis of Japanese products vs other to see if there is any cultural bias against Japanese products in China.

I have no data but when I was there (Shanghai) I could see ads by Japanese companies on TV and billboards. These anti Japanese stuff are mostly done by hardliners (of course every country sadly has these). The majority of the Chinese people couldn't care less about politics though.

And you have earned a cookie for using the right phrase.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Goatseye said:
binary solo said:

Possibly not. But I wonder if anyone has actually done an analysis of Japanese products vs other to see if there is any cultural bias against Japanese products in China.

I'm pretty sure Japanese cars sell well over there.

And also off-topic. How many times have you seen Asian people driving American cars?

I find it quite odd that 99% of the times I see them driving, the car is an Asian make or rarely European and once in a blue moon an American car.

Well here if it's not a Jeep Cherokee, or for a short while a PT Cruiser, it's mostly rednecks and Yank-o-philes who drive American muscle cars. The vast majority of the population, of whatever race and including expat Americans, drive Asian or European cars.

I think anti-Japanese sentiment stopped being a factor for certain people here in about the 1980s (because of WWII). But Japan was never a hostile occupying force, so it was only ever a very small proportion of our population who had first hand experience of Japanese WWII oppression. In China it was a different story so the cultural memory may be more ingrained and widespread. But good, in general, if the Chinese people have left the past in the past.

Of course old wounds can easily be reopened and who knows what the dispute over those little islands triangulated by China, Japan and Korea will do for cultural relations, and with Shinzo Abe declaring the Japanese pacifist constitution null and void.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
So does this mean China should be added to the "... will save Xbox One" chalkboard?

That is really funny.   

Someone find the chalkboard and do this please.

binary solo said:
tiffac said:
binary solo said:
Goatseye said:

I don't think they would/will express that sentiment towards Japanese entertainment boxes.

I have no data but when I was there (Shanghai) I could see ads by Japanese companies on TV and billboards. These anti Japanese stuff are mostly done by hardliners (of course every country sadly has these). The majority of the Chinese people couldn't care less about politics though.

And you have earned a cookie for using the right phrase.

Yay! Cookie! :D

Around the Network
tiffac said:
Teeqoz said:
Let's not forget that Sony is also preparing to launch the PS4 in China. This market won't be left purely for the xbox one.

It never was, we can all go to China and buy these consoles at a legit electronic store. The only difference now is they are free to advertised and is backed up by major Chinese corporations. So this battle just turned from being underground into a world stage fight xD

I just wonder if this will be a good place to watch from.

Teeqoz said:
tiffac said:
Teeqoz said:
Let's not forget that Sony is also preparing to launch the PS4 in China. This market won't be left purely for the xbox one.

It never was, we can all go to China and buy these consoles at a legit electronic store. The only difference now is they are free to advertised and is backed up by major Chinese corporations. So this battle just turned from being underground into a world stage fight xD

I just wonder if this will be a good place to watch from.

Hopefully it is, I set my expections low because China is a PC/mobile market but hey you never know :)

Its a proper luxury product over there as it costs a 1/10 of what the average Chinese earns in a year. Even so, it could still do well by our standards. Depends on how well Chinese developers support it I think.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

About HW: prices will be quite high for Chinese middle classes at least for some years.
About SW: we can expect racing and other sports games to sell well, obviously according to Chinese tastes and popularity of each sport, so the most popular ones could be different from the best sellers in other markets. But for the other genres, western-biased games won't sell very well, and many of them will require heavy censorship to be approved by Chinese authorities. Chinese games could sell a lot better, as long as they find a comfortable market that isn't catered for by PC yet. Not heavily western characterized RPGs and MMOGs of most genres should do fine too, because unless a bias is built-in too deeply, it's the single gamer or the community that shape them.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!