By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple frustrated with "mentality" in mobile market

I hate to say it but I half agree with Apple.

Around the Network

There's a vicious cycle here. Consumers get burned by the lack of quality games, constantly paying for shit and getting sick and tired of it, so they lose trust and complain about prices no matter how low they go. This leads to less money to be put into the development of new games, and more shit gets released. There's no easy way out of this. It'll probably end up in a crash of the mobile gaming market, just like the same issue lead to the crash of the console gaming market decades ago. In my opinion it's a good thing. Look what rose from the ashes from the last crash? Nintendo, who started a much more stable industry by having a quality standard. Hopefully, something similar will happen here, and a leader in mobile games will start to have some degree of quality assurance that will set the standard to transform the mobile games industry into something that a real gamer could actually respect.

Apple alone is to blame for $0.99 apps and games. Once a price is established, it is very hard to change. And most mobile apps and games are not worth one cent.

padib said:

It's needed for a dedicated gaming console, but not for a smart device, which is used for countless other things and thus the market will never crash...

smh @you, Rol, noname. do you guys actually make sense of things or just repeat like parrots?

This lack of quality will regulate itself with time. Companies will release games that CAN sell because the market will dictate that, e.g. peoples' wallets will require it. Either that or no company will be able to step up because either A) no company is smart enough to realize that good games sell or B) no company making games on smart devices is capable of making good games.

I doubt either will ever be true.

Jesus Christ, padib, no one is saying that the entire market of smart devices will crash! All I was saying was that the mobile GAME market will crash. Obviously it won't look the same as the gaming crash, as the gaming crash involved HARDWARE not being sold. In this case, it would take the form of smart phone users completely losing trust, and not buying smart phone games, even free to play ones, and most companies will crumble or bail out. Then a company that is smart enough to realize that good games sell and that is capable of making good games will take over. Just because a piece of hardware won't crash doesn't mean a software market can't crash.

I only play free games on my mobile, I reserve all my gaming dollars for console and PC games. I have a limited pool of money for gaming and that pool has no room for a mobile games budget.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:

Then I do not think Apple understands the issue...

Yeah, if someone spent 600$ on an iPad, it should be nothing to spend 4$ on a game... The problem, in my oppinion, is the very poor quality of the majority of games on the AppStore, people know that the majority of games will be crap. And then there are those games you spend 4$ but then need to spend a tone of $ to actually enjoy it...

Customers are just becoming more informed and well aware of this which lead them to be very cautious.

You're right, the best games on app store are free, if you're willing to ignore the microtransactions which kill it

Nintendo warned them this would happen.

padib said:

I didn't say the opposite, but to liken the two crashes (Atari days crash versus predicted mobile game market crash) is going much further than any of this is showing. For the original crash to happen, there was a huge retailing issue. Excessive stock of unwanted games had to be wasted (E.T. landfill). This isn't even a problem in this mobile GAME market.

The more sensible outlook is that, like you said, a company (or companies) that is capable of making good games will step up. No crash interim.

Sorry for coming across as brash.

Alright I get what you're saying. Perhaps I'm using the term "crash" too loosely, but point is, companies will invest in games with no return because of consumer mistrust, and the only companies that will keep going will be the companies willing and able to invest in making good games. Thing is, such companies may or may not be willing to compete in a flooded market that we have now, so while there may not be anything you'd call a crash, there will likely be a period of remarkable stagnation before the lack of a flood of shitty games makes the market look attractive to real talent.

Podings said:
Nintendo warned them this would happen.

The thing is its not like Apple really gives that big of a crap. Selling video games is not their 1st (or even 5th) line of business. It's a nice to have for them, the proverbial cherry on a cake. I'm sure they'd like to have people pay more for apps, but it's not something that keeps them awake at night. 

The damage its doing to Nintendo is much more severe as its effectively alienated Nintendo from casuals and a lot of kids too. 

I fly a lot for work and pretty much every airport I'm sitting in, I see families with kids that are playing on an iPad/tablet/mom's iPhone outnumbering the 3DS/DS/PSP/Vita by like a 10:1 ratio. It's not even close anymore. 

Despite this news (or observation really), the video game market on smart devices isn't going anywhere. Freemium games won't disappear when they are convenient to download, easy to make, and addicting for many people.  However, the smart-device market for games that aren't free but sell well will be controlled by known console game developers like EA.

Currently the hierarchy of devices in terms of revenue and profits earned from games are:

Smart Devices

Home & Handheld Consoles

PC

Leapfrog stuff

Cheap handhelds with games already programmed inside

Ouya/Texas Instrument