By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What game pressured you into buying a console?

A single game has never made me buy a console. JRPGs in general though keep me buying PlayStation consoles.

Around the Network

GC (my first console, I was a PC-only gamer in the 90s and didn't know anything about consoles or handhelds):
Wave Race: Blue Storm
(I bought it as my first console game out of curiosity, great choice in retrospect, one of my most favorite GC games)

Xbox: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Wii: Twilight Princess

PS3: Flower

Xbox 360: Lost Odyssey

Wii U: future Zelda game

DS: Phantom Hourglass

PSP: Jeanne d'Arc

3DS: Ocarina of Time 3D

The game that made me a PC gamer in 1991: Civilization

During the Wii shortage of 2007, I badly wanted a Wii so I could play Super Paper Mario. Nobody had a console on the shelves for almost a year. I had to overpay for a Wii just so I could buy one. Microplay here in Canada forced me to buy an accessory if I wanted a Wii and I had no choice but to accept those terms. It was worth it, though.

The Wii U's free online and it's upcoming releases (had a 360 before that)

I have never bought a console because of a single game

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

Metal Gear Solid IV for the PS3 and Halo 3 for the Xbox 360.

Just last 2 generations...

Wii: Twilight Princess
DS: Ace attorney saga
PS3: Blu-ray (it was a neck to neck battle with 360, the blu-ray options made it win)
3DS: A link between worlds bundle
Wii U: Wind Waked HD bundle

I am starting to see a pattern here...

Ali_16x said:

Honestly it was Grand Theft Auto 4 for me and it was for the PS3, I sort of stopped playing consoles and started to play these small self made anime games like Naruto and Bleach for like 5 years mostly because I couldn't afford to buy a PS3 and then some of my friends were talking about GTA 4 and I started watching reviews and it was around the time the PS3 was $300 (around 2011 I think) so it was a perfect time.

Also when I saw some videos on Pokemon X & Y, the next day I bought a 3DS for it, played it for 5-6 hours then finals came  and I completely forgot about itand I still haven't even touched my 3DS since then, almost a year.

And Persona 4 Golden was the game for my Vita, I remember watching a IGN video in where Greg Miller said the best Vita game was P4G and I saw all the reviews and it looked awesome so I bought it.

inFamous Second Son for my PS4, I had bought it on launch, I literally gave in like 1 hour before the launch of PS4, after that 1 hour Spike TV special but then I got a broken one from Amazon and then the replacement PS4 I got was also broken. I was just pisssed so I said I wasn't going to buy a PS4 until a price drop because I had tons of PS3 games to play and it would last me until the PS4 got a price drop. Then I saw some gameplay and totally caved in 3 days before infamous release date.

So what was the game that pressured you into buying a console?

Pressured?  Was never pressured into anything other than myself wanting it.. Much like any console I've ever bought.. I buy because I want to and I can.  Never bought a console because of a specific game.

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

BillyBong said:
Ali_16x said:

Honestly it was Grand Theft Auto 4 for me and it was for the PS3, I sort of stopped playing consoles and started to play these small self made anime games like Naruto and Bleach for like 5 years mostly because I couldn't afford to buy a PS3 and then some of my friends were talking about GTA 4 and I started watching reviews and it was around the time the PS3 was $300 (around 2011 I think) so it was a perfect time.

Also when I saw some videos on Pokemon X & Y, the next day I bought a 3DS for it, played it for 5-6 hours then finals came  and I completely forgot about itand I still haven't even touched my 3DS since then, almost a year.

And Persona 4 Golden was the game for my Vita, I remember watching a IGN video in where Greg Miller said the best Vita game was P4G and I saw all the reviews and it looked awesome so I bought it.

inFamous Second Son for my PS4, I had bought it on launch, I literally gave in like 1 hour before the launch of PS4, after that 1 hour Spike TV special but then I got a broken one from Amazon and then the replacement PS4 I got was also broken. I was just pisssed so I said I wasn't going to buy a PS4 until a price drop because I had tons of PS3 games to play and it would last me until the PS4 got a price drop. Then I saw some gameplay and totally caved in 3 days before infamous release date.

So what was the game that pressured you into buying a console?

Pressured?  Was never pressured into anything other than myself wanting it.. Much like any console I've ever bought.. I buy because I want to and I can.  Never bought a console because of a specific game.

You're just playing semantics. -__-

What game or games did you want to play when you bought a console?

The only one I ever felt truly pressured (and the only console I've ever afforded to purchase) was the Wii after playing Wii Sports, back when the console hit the market for the first time.