By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What game pressured you into buying a console?

I bought a ps3 for prototype
I bought a 3ds for pokemon x
I bought a wii for smash
I bought a ds for pokemon pearl
I asked my parents to get me a ps2 for GTA;SA

Around the Network

NES -- Honestly, the guns and the robot. After I got it, I used the light pistols like twice but I was pissed that there was no robot. I remember looking in the empty box thinking, "WTF?"

PS1 -- Final Fantasy 7.

PS2 -- No single game that I can remember but rather the sheer volume of titles.

Dreamcast -- Soulcalibur.

PS3 -- The Last Guardian. Yeah, shut up. Journalists going insane over Uncharted 2 at E3 was also a big selling point. Funny that I ended up not liking Uncharted but the filler game I bought, Valkyria Chronicles, blew me away.

PSV -- P4G.

Hynad said:
BillyBong said:
Ali_16x said:

Honestly it was Grand Theft Auto 4 for me and it was for the PS3, I sort of stopped playing consoles and started to play these small self made anime games like Naruto and Bleach for like 5 years mostly because I couldn't afford to buy a PS3 and then some of my friends were talking about GTA 4 and I started watching reviews and it was around the time the PS3 was $300 (around 2011 I think) so it was a perfect time.

Also when I saw some videos on Pokemon X & Y, the next day I bought a 3DS for it, played it for 5-6 hours then finals came  and I completely forgot about itand I still haven't even touched my 3DS since then, almost a year.

And Persona 4 Golden was the game for my Vita, I remember watching a IGN video in where Greg Miller said the best Vita game was P4G and I saw all the reviews and it looked awesome so I bought it.

inFamous Second Son for my PS4, I had bought it on launch, I literally gave in like 1 hour before the launch of PS4, after that 1 hour Spike TV special but then I got a broken one from Amazon and then the replacement PS4 I got was also broken. I was just pisssed so I said I wasn't going to buy a PS4 until a price drop because I had tons of PS3 games to play and it would last me until the PS4 got a price drop. Then I saw some gameplay and totally caved in 3 days before infamous release date.

So what was the game that pressured you into buying a console?

Pressured?  Was never pressured into anything other than myself wanting it.. Much like any console I've ever bought.. I buy because I want to and I can.  Never bought a console because of a specific game.

That's... actually what he's asking. You're just playing semantics. -__-

No.. Never bought them because of anything specific.. Unless "because I wanted to play games" is a substantial enough answer for you.  But isn't that why anyone buys a game console in the first place.  Whether I was an earlier adopter or bought it later down the road, I basically buy games just because I'm a gamer... Other than the 360 or the x1.. I've basically owned most consoles and handhelds ever released since the nes.  Maybe its the "what pressured you to get so and so?" is why I'm confused.. And why I said I've never felt pressured to buy anything other than myself wanting it.

As for your added comment.. No game really comes to mind as why I bought so and so console.  Those were just the added bonus if they had a gem(s) of a game.. I find myself enjoying quite a range of games.. Never been the type to lock in on just a few.

Lemme ask you a question.. Why do you think I was/am a backer of the ouya kick starter, or have also purchased a mojo and nvidia shield?  Or even have a raspberry pi running retropie?  Im an emu affeciando as well as just a gamer who sees value in such things that plays games.

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

I wouldn't say it was "pressure," as I've never bought a console on a whim, but Pikmin 3 was the reason I bought a Wii U at launch. (Joke ended up being on me, huh? So much for "launch window.") That's probably the only time I've ever had my decision radically affected by one game.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

I bought a Wii for Super Paper Mario, I just had to play it...

Around the Network

Back in the good ole days I knew I had to save up for a SNES the moment I saw Final Fantasy III (6) at a friends house.

I guess pressured is the wrong word, more like what was that one game that made you want to buy a console just to play it. Also yeah, Pokemon for my DS and 3DS, Pokemon is actually the only game I have for both of them, but I'm going to get all the Kingdom Hearts games on DS and 3DS once 2.5 comes out.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Wii: I really can't say
X360: Kinect Adventures... sigh
3DS: OoT 3D
Wii U: Pikmin 3... little did I know I would have to wait 9 MONTHS!
PS4: Most likely PS Now

Final Fantasy Versus XIII got me to buy a PS3.....

Tomb Raider 2.

I was a huge, HUGE Sega fan.

Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Sega 32X........

When I played Tomb Raider on the Sega Saturn I was open. This was like the greatest game of all time to me at the time.

Then I saw that the follow up Tomb Raider 2 was a Playstation 1 EXCLUSIVE.... !!!!???

That was it, I bought a Playstation 1 to play Tomb Raider 2, and never looked back............