By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS4 Destiny Bundle Will Help Xbox One Win August NPD

binary solo said:
It's not a bad basis for the prediction. It is after all a similar kind of effect to the Kinectless Xb one announcement, which made May NPD into a complete write off for Xb one.

But I don't Destiny will have that big of an influence on the pattern of PS4 sales. Lots of people, right from when Destiny was first announced had probably decided to get PS4 only when Destiny comes out. So they were committed to a September buy anyway. Anyone not planning to get Destiny, but planning to get PS4 will maintain the PS4 buying pattern. Destiny will be big. But it won't be so big as to noticeably suck the oxygen out of hardware sales leading up to it.

Aye, it was largely the Xbox One's May slack-off that led to me coming up with the prediction in the first place. Granted, as you said, there are differences; Destiny isn't likely to have as big a bump, especially given the pre-orders ARE also getting spread out over multiple months instead of the 399 SKU's single month of pre-order availability. That and the PS4 just seems to have a higher baseline in general, so it can stand to suffer more of an immediate sales hit without falling behind than the Xbox One could. Heck, and again, if the Xbox One's sales have tanked by July's NPD, I'm pretty much 100% expecting my prediction to fail as well. =P Glad you understand where I'm coming from though.

I'm starting to think I should have reworded my prediction to say 'The chances of Xbox One winning the August NPD are a snowball's in a supernova. In July and September, it does not even have that chance.' =P I'd like to think that I posted my own doubts about the theory enough times in the OP to make it abundantly clear I wasn't part of the same victory-trumpeting brigade (especially since whatever loss in recorded sales Sony did suffer in August, or July even, due to a bundle pre-order would come roaring back in September,) but either I'm being playfully joshed by a couple of repliers, or they skipped my OP entirely and responded solely to my thread title thinking I'm an Xbox fanboy looking for the next 'secret sauce' excuse. o.O

That or they read the OP and were so shaken with rage they missed all the parts explaining this was intended as a long shot. O.o

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Around the Network
ratchet426 said:

I do like the creative thinking that went into your prediction. In and of itself, I suppose it's possible that the Desitiny pre-orders will slow PS4 sales enough in August to allow X1 a slim victory. However, I notice that you aren't considering a bump in PS4 sales with the release of The Last of Us: Remastered on 7/29.  There may be enough buzz on this game post-release that PS4 sales get a bump in August, Destiny bundle be damned!

Oooo, this is true, I hadn't considered that. o.o Does put an additional hole in the prediction. Oh well. x3 Maybe I should ninja edit it to say PS4 will win August, won't that make me a daring prophet, eh? ;P

Zanten said:
riecsou said:
OP makes points that make sense. But I don't think it is going to happen. But you present some nice arguments.

Thank you. n.n I'm starting to get the concern, and the impression, that a few people here are going to assume I'm operating in the same 'Victory For The X1!' vein that certain, er, Drill-like individuals were on. -_- The entire appeal of making this prediction is that it's a long-shot for all manner of reasons... be pretty boring to make an easy one. If I said 'PS4 will win August,' I'd probably be getting greeted with a chorus of 'No S**t Sherlock,' and where's the fun in that? D:

Well the difference between you and TheDrill is that your thread actually encourages some thought. I thought you made a good point in your OP. TheDrill's OP in his thread, on the other hand... was really off-base.

Aura7541 said:

Well the difference between you and TheDrill is that your thread actually encourages some thought. I thought you made a good point in your OP. TheDrill's OP in his thread, on the other hand... was really off-base.

Fully agree. I wasted more than a little time presenting evidence against what Drill was saying, only to have him ignore it outright. xP Sooo many paragraphs, hurled into the void, wasted upon a solid wall of really kinda creepy unfounded optimism and attempts to alter the very fabric of reality to fit what he was saying. o_o

Yes, it is going to help the xbox a by a little. 

We Are One

Around the Network

Its an interesting theory, but as you said the existence of the bundle hasn't measurably slowed PS4 sales at this stage, meaning that though some people may wait until the Destiny bundle comes out, its not enough to allow the XB1 to beat the PS4 in NPD.

Despite how huge Destiny will be, I don't see it hitting 30-40% attach rates, meaning that 60-70% of current PS4 owners will not be buying Destiny. Extrapolating this to future buyers, I'd say 60-70% of people will be buying PS4's for reasons other than Destiny, and therefore and will not be swayed by the bundle. In Jun NPD, the PS4 outsold the XB1 by 36.5% despite the price drop, therefore even if all of the 30-40% of PS4 purchases that will buy Destiny hold-off in Aug to buy the bundle in September, it won't be enough for XB1 to outsell the PS4, as XB1 sales are likely to drop off over the next few months post price-cut.

Zanten said:
ratchet426 said:

I do like the creative thinking that went into your prediction. In and of itself, I suppose it's possible that the Desitiny pre-orders will slow PS4 sales enough in August to allow X1 a slim victory. However, I notice that you aren't considering a bump in PS4 sales with the release of The Last of Us: Remastered on 7/29.  There may be enough buzz on this game post-release that PS4 sales get a bump in August, Destiny bundle be damned!

Oooo, this is true, I hadn't considered that. o.o Does put an additional hole in the prediction. Oh well. x3 Maybe I should ninja edit it to say PS4 will win August, won't that make me a daring prophet, eh? ;P

Yes, ratchet426 nailed it.  Damn, I was just about to post the same thought.

Zanten, you now realize that "The Last of Us" will boost PS4 hardware sales in August,

whereas, there is not much to boost XB1 sales in the same month.

not a bad theory, it will definitely have an affect, will make it a little closer but I not the same as if Sony announce a pricedrop for Sep, if that were the case then yes. But I dont think a bundle will do it.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Nighthawk117 said:

Yes, ratchet426 nailed it.  Damn, I was just about to post the same thought.

Zanten, you now realize that "The Last of Us" will boost PS4 hardware sales in August,

whereas, there is not much to boost XB1 sales in the same month.

Yeah, I had actually completely forgotten about TLOU, or more specifically that it was releasing so close to the end of July; for some reason I had thought it was releasing a bit further inwards. o.O Oh well! Live and learn. x3

Zanten said:
binary solo said:
It's not a bad basis for the prediction. It is after all a similar kind of effect to the Kinectless Xb one announcement, which made May NPD into a complete write off for Xb one.

But I don't Destiny will have that big of an influence on the pattern of PS4 sales. Lots of people, right from when Destiny was first announced had probably decided to get PS4 only when Destiny comes out. So they were committed to a September buy anyway. Anyone not planning to get Destiny, but planning to get PS4 will maintain the PS4 buying pattern. Destiny will be big. But it won't be so big as to noticeably suck the oxygen out of hardware sales leading up to it.

Aye, it was largely the Xbox One's May slack-off that led to me coming up with the prediction in the first place. Granted, as you said, there are differences; Destiny isn't likely to have as big a bump, especially given the pre-orders ARE also getting spread out over multiple months instead of the 399 SKU's single month of pre-order availability. That and the PS4 just seems to have a higher baseline in general, so it can stand to suffer more of an immediate sales hit without falling behind than the Xbox One could. Heck, and again, if the Xbox One's sales have tanked by July's NPD, I'm pretty much 100% expecting my prediction to fail as well. =P Glad you understand where I'm coming from though.

I'm starting to think I should have reworded my prediction to say 'The chances of Xbox One winning the August NPD are a snowball's in a supernova. In July and September, it does not even have that chance.' =P I'd like to think that I posted my own doubts about the theory enough times in the OP to make it abundantly clear I wasn't part of the same victory-trumpeting brigade (especially since whatever loss in recorded sales Sony did suffer in August, or July even, due to a bundle pre-order would come roaring back in September,) but either I'm being playfully joshed by a couple of repliers, or they skipped my OP entirely and responded solely to my thread title thinking I'm an Xbox fanboy looking for the next 'secret sauce' excuse. o.O

That or they read the OP and were so shaken with rage they missed all the parts explaining this was intended as a long shot. O.o

All you need to do is write "BOLD & DARING" in front of "prediction".

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix