By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS4 Destiny Bundle Will Help Xbox One Win August NPD

The ps4 domination is making people going full cray cray

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

OP makes points that make sense. But I don't think it is going to happen. But you present some nice arguments.

riecsou said:
OP makes points that make sense. But I don't think it is going to happen. But you present some nice arguments.

Thank you. n.n I'm starting to get the concern, and the impression, that a few people here are going to assume I'm operating in the same 'Victory For The X1!' vein that certain, er, Drill-like individuals were on. -_- The entire appeal of making this prediction is that it's a long-shot for all manner of reasons... be pretty boring to make an easy one. If I said 'PS4 will win August,' I'd probably be getting greeted with a chorus of 'No S**t Sherlock,' and where's the fun in that? D:

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Nuh uh! Sorry. I think the people who want a white PS4 will be on top of average demand, not in place of it.

Not that I wouldn't mind seeing it happen. To claim a victory one week only to be obliterated the next week would make for compelling television.

It's not a bad basis for the prediction. It is after all a similar kind of effect to the Kinectless Xb one announcement, which made May NPD into a complete write off for Xb one.

But I don't Destiny will have that big of an influence on the pattern of PS4 sales. Lots of people, right from when Destiny was first announced had probably decided to get PS4 only when Destiny comes out. So they were committed to a September buy anyway. Anyone not planning to get Destiny, but planning to get PS4 will maintain the PS4 buying pattern. Destiny will be big. But it won't be so big as to noticeably suck the oxygen out of hardware sales leading up to it.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Zanten, prepare to eat your words come September...

On another thought, thanks for a good laugh on a Friday night.

Nighthawk117 said:
Zanten, prepare to eat your words come September...

On another thought, thanks for a good laugh on a Friday night.

You're... welcome...? ^_^;

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Wow.  You really reaching now.

This would be true if Sony didn't announce and start pre-orders for the bundle until August. However, people have been pre-ordering it since June. Technically, it has been "taking away" sales since E3, but we saw that the PS4 handily won June NPD despite the release of the standalone Xbox One. So no, PS4 will win August NPD.

Zanten said:
riecsou said:

Thank you. n.n I'm starting to get the concern, and the impression, that a few people here are going to assume I'm operating in the same 'Victory For The X1!' vein that certain, er, Drill-like individuals were on. -_- The entire appeal of making this prediction is that it's a long-shot for all manner of reasons... be pretty boring to make an easy one. If I said 'PS4 will win August,' I'd probably be getting greeted with a chorus of 'No S**t Sherlock,' and where's the fun in that? D:

I do like the creative thinking that went into your prediction. In and of itself, I suppose it's possible that the Desitiny pre-orders will slow PS4 sales enough in August to allow X1 a slim victory. However, I notice that you aren't considering a bump in PS4 sales with the release of The Last of Us: Remastered on 7/29.  There may be enough buzz on this game post-release that PS4 sales get a bump in August, Destiny bundle be damned!