By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - USA has the best athletes in the world?

Considering that football(soccer) is the most popular sport in the world, and U.S equals to shit in that field, thats a pretty tall claim.

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

Around the Network
ando88 said:
Retrasado said:
ando88 said:
Retrasado said:
ando88 said:
tarheel91 said:

Having watched both rugby and football, I can, without a doubt, say people in football hit A LOT harder. Not only that, but you'll notice people running a lot faster in football too. This is because they don't have to worry about all that momentum as much when they're tackled because of the pads. Pads allow you to play harder. It's not that those who play rugby are tougher, but that their sport is softer. (I'm not saying they're weak by any means. They take a beating because of the lack of pads.)

AFL is tougher than both of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX2yxGK5ZZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr81dc4o5yI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqofxaC7ygs&feature=related

ORLY?

^^the actual vid only lasts until about 2:30

If you need more evidence...

All I see is padded blokes nudging each other. They have shoulder pads, helmets etc etc, really nothing "hard" about it.

They wear pads so they don't get killed. Did you see that guy about 46 seconds into the second video get his back almost broken? or how about the guy who got body-slammed from 6.5 feet/2 metres in the air? or how about the guy who had someone hit him in the side of the head while running as fast as they can? or that guy who got knocked out after running into someone else? (the one where the guy who knocked him down like leans over his victim to see if he's ok.) Based on the vids that different people have shown of rugby hits, I have no doubt in my mind that American football is rougher. (heck, the fact they wear pads makes it rougher because they can hit harder without killing people.) You are obviously entitled to your own opinion, but I remain 100% confident based on vids of seen of both rugby and American football hits that American football is way rougher. Also, I fail to see how two 6'4''/2 metre tall 250 lb/115 kg guys hitting each other at a combined speed of more than 25mph/40km/h is a "nudge." (the kinetic energy of that hypothetical collision is 14200 joules. If you could harness that energy, you could power a 100 watt lightbulb for almost 15 minutes. That's a "nudge." Riiight)

Erm, mate I'm not talking about rugby. I'm talking about Australian Rules Football. You know, the real deal

Bottom line is all your American Football does is encourage people to run into each other because they know it isn't going to hurt. Nearly "break his back"? Lol they wouldn't know what a genuine unprotected smash to the back felt like. Sure it might, MIGHT be tougher than rugby, but tougher than aussie rules football? You're dreaming mate. Take your pads off and then play.

Also, take a look at our home grown aussie rules boy who went to play your american football. This is Sav Rocca - notice the cheap shot on him in the vid below. The guy tried to polax him but Sav was unphased. If you can't see the difference between having padding and not having padding, you're blind. You guys just bounce around and don't know what it's like to cop a genuine shirt-front.

Spoken like a man who has never played American Football. Now Im not debating whether or not Aussie Football is tougher. Because it is. It takes a lot of guts to play it, not to mention the endurance, stamina, and pure athletism in it. You have to be able to throw, tackle, and punt very well in that sport. It looks tough as hell.

But just because you have a minority of people that can play a sport like that very well, doesnt discredit a game like American Football, which is also very tough. Because along with the athletism of the game, there is strategy. You have to be just as smart as strong and fast.

And just for your information, the reason we have pads is because people were getting killed by the sport. Hell, even our President Teddy Roosevelt was going to ban the game if things did not change to make it safer.

If you say that it isnt tough because of pads, well then strap a helmet and shoulder pads on and have a 280 lb linebacker tackle you while youre standing still.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

BringBackChrono said:
Considering that football(soccer) is the most popular sport in the world, and U.S equals to shit in that field, thats a pretty tall claim.

If by "shit" you mean "qualified for every World Cup since 1990, reaching one quarterfinal and the second round once," you need a new definition of "shit." By your definition a hell of a lot of countries are shit at football.  What other shit-at-football countries have beaten Brazil and Argentina in meaningful senior competitions, I wonder?

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

elprincipe said:
BringBackChrono said:

If by "shit" you mean "qualified for every World Cup since 1990, reaching one quarterfinal and the second round once," you need a new definition of "shit." By your definition a hell of a lot of countries are shit at football.  What other shit-at-football countries have beaten Brazil and Argentina in meaningful senior competitions, I wonder?

Qualifying group united states (for the world cup): Cuba, Guatemala, Trinidad & Tobago, United States

Set any European country in a group like this and they'll qualify each world cup aswell, but no we have to play decent country's. And yes the United States are shit in football, I'm not saying this to piss you of. United states rule at basketball, american football and baseball.

We all know that Australians only swim, thats where their medal mostly come from its not their fault they are surrounded by Ocean but have no water in the interior plus it gets really hot there so they have to swim.

"Like you know"

Around the Network

Im sorry but...when it comes to rowing and cycling, Great Britain rules. We finished 4th in the medals table (i think/hope)

And we are about a 10th the size of Russia/USA/China

Great Britain FTW!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

colonelstubbs said:
Im sorry but...when it comes to rowing and cycling, Great Britain rules. We finished 4th in the medals table (i think/hope)

And we are about a 10th the size of Russia/USA/China

Great Britain FTW!

If you are talking area wise then yea.  But you fit a crap ton of people onto one island.  Half the size of Russia give or take, 1/6th our population and I don't want to do the math for China.

Yea GBR was 4th in medal count.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

It looks like your only second now USA.

By the way Weezy, all the top American NFL players would suck at football (soccer).

weezy said:

We can fly.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=xp6qJ7LZNlg

Superman is on our side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp__vGs3fa8

Some will say "what about soccer?" Please... Our best athletes do not play soccer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtcC8ZpJ9XU

Imagine Randy Moss if he was playing soccer..  6'4'' dood who is faster and more freakishly athletic than anyone else on the field.

Or LeBron James standing at 6'8'' faster and more powerful than ANYONE on the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzM2_DkVz1A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Px-jPm_TU

Will someone prove me wrong so I can stop gloating

Are you fucking crazy?

I would say the US produces the best athletes. It is followed closely by Russia and Germany.