By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - USA has the best athletes in the world?

draik said:
elprincipe said:
BringBackChrono said:
Considering that football(soccer) is the most popular sport in the world, and U.S equals to shit in that field, thats a pretty tall claim.

If by "shit" you mean "qualified for every World Cup since 1990, reaching one quarterfinal and the second round once," you need a new definition of "shit." By your definition a hell of a lot of countries are shit at football. What other shit-at-football countries have beaten Brazil and Argentina in meaningful senior competitions, I wonder?

Qualifying group united states (for the world cup): Cuba, Guatemala, Trinidad & Tobago, United States

Set any European country in a group like this and they'll qualify each world cup aswell, but no we have to play decent country's. And yes the United States are shit in football, I'm not saying this to piss you of. United states rule at basketball, american football and baseball.

Actually, that is just the semifinal round.  The final round ("hexagonal") is more challenging.  But yeah, with the top three of that final group advancing to the World Cup finals, it's easier than any African group or the South American group, even easier than the easiest European group I'd say.  Still, qualification means something.  But what means even more are results in meaningful competitions, such as making a World Cup quarterfinal in 2002, a draw with the eventual world champions in 2006, or being CONCACAF champions multiple times.  Obviously things depend on your definition of "shit," but like I said, if you think the USA are shit at football then you must think the vast majority of countries in the world -- and yes, in Europe too! -- are shit.

And obviously not "any" European country could qualify from CONCACAF, that is just dumb.  Ask Rol about what he would think of Austria's chances against the USA, Mexico and Costa Rica, for example

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Around the Network
London_Calling said:
The best NBA players are international such as - Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Hedo Turkoglu, Yao Ming, Tim Duncan was US Virgin Islands, etc.

I just had to highlight this after the ass-kicking the American squad handed everybody in Beijing.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
London_Calling said:
The best NBA players are international such as - Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Hedo Turkoglu, Yao Ming, Tim Duncan was US Virgin Islands, etc.

I just had to highlight this after the ass-kicking the American squad handed everybody in Beijing.

the difference is those guys dont have 4 other really good players on the flor in the olympics.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

thanny said:
weezy said:

USA has the best athletes in the world

------- Gold -------

China 51

USA 36

www.youfail.org

This

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
thanny said:
weezy said:

USA has the best athletes in the world

------- Gold -------

China 51

USA 36

www.youfail.org

This

Actually, if you take away the gymnastics cheating, things are pretty even...with the USA having many more siilver and bronze.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)