By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - TLOU Dev Fires Back At Those Who Feel $50 Is Too Much For PS4 Version “It’s a Steal”

mysteryman said:
Aura7541 said:
mysteryman said:

You seem to have had your say too, why not leave yourself? It's a forum; people discuss to their heart's content.

As for OP; definitely not a steal. You can make up your own mind as to whether or not the pricing is fair, but a steal implies being sold at much less than its value, which is simply not the case.

It's more directly towards spemanig considering that he has been complaining excessively. I even agree with his point of view, somewhat, but did you see me constantly complaining about how TLOU: R is a ripoff? No, sir. Discussing is fine, unless one repeats the same narrative over and over again, refusing to acknowledge other people's points. Freedom of speech =/= Negligence of responsibility of speaking.

It seems to be happening on both sides of the fence though.

That's what happens when one side becomes repetitive. The replies from the other side will become repetitive, too, because the side where the repetition originated from refuses to give different inputs.

Around the Network
My suggestion of the upgrade program will only benefit Sony and ND more.  How many double dippers do you honestly think there will be?  This remaster is catered to like you said.. For those who never played/bought the game.  Awesome.  But to get those who already bought it and would buy it again at a discount price.. Why wouldn't they do it?  For the most part, they already got the money from last gen from those buyers.  An upgrade fee would entice those buyers to pick it up for the ps4 also.. But not likely at $50... Or if ever if you already have the game.  We're talking about a game that got almost 8 mil unit sales on the ps3 already in 1 year.  Sony will already bank having new buyers pick it up at $50.. But they could also make more if they can get a fraction of those 8 mil buyers to buy a discounted upgrade fee to be able to continue playing a game they already have.  Not only will a portion of the mp community also move over, but Sony and ND will also get additional sales from a group that could otherwise Skip out on it altogether.  I'm not saying $50 isn't a great deal for new buyers.. But $50 for current owners is not... Especially those like myself that has already dropped between $75-90 buying the game + season pass or individual DLCs.  For myself, that's basically $125 for 1 game ( 2 versions) with the same content just to play it on my ps4.  What good is it for Sony or ND if "those that already have it, don't want to pay $50 don't have to buy it"?  Wouldn't you think they could make more if they could get those who already have it, to buy it again? Even if its at a discounted rate?

I explained the possible rationale a while back. Essentially, chances are they did an internal study (unless their marketing dept sucks that is) and possibly determined that in terms of the maybes being converted to yes', possibly not enough of the double dipper market can be converted by a discount promo to justify the profit loss that this would cost. Bear in mind that the real issue here is that giving all the double dippers a discount means that the yes' discount is pure cost and as for the maybes the question will be: will the pricing promotion be sufficient to convince enough of the maybes to purchase the product in enough numbers to compensate for total promotional cost? My guess is that their internal studies said no or at the very least, they believe that it isn't.

DrDoomz said:
My suggestion of the upgrade program will only benefit Sony and ND more.  How many double dippers do you honestly think there will be?  This remaster is catered to like you said.. For those who never played/bought the game.  Awesome.  But to get those who already bought it and would buy it again at a discount price.. Why wouldn't they do it?  For the most part, they already got the money from last gen from those buyers.  An upgrade fee would entice those buyers to pick it up for the ps4 also.. But not likely at $50... Or if ever if you already have the game.  We're talking about a game that got almost 8 mil unit sales on the ps3 already in 1 year.  Sony will already bank having new buyers pick it up at $50.. But they could also make more if they can get a fraction of those 8 mil buyers to buy a discounted upgrade fee to be able to continue playing a game they already have.  Not only will a portion of the mp community also move over, but Sony and ND will also get additional sales from a group that could otherwise Skip out on it altogether.  I'm not saying $50 isn't a great deal for new buyers.. But $50 for current owners is not... Especially those like myself that has already dropped between $75-90 buying the game + season pass or individual DLCs.  For myself, that's basically $125 for 1 game ( 2 versions) with the same content just to play it on my ps4.  What good is it for Sony or ND if "those that already have it, don't want to pay $50 don't have to buy it"?  Wouldn't you think they could make more if they could get those who already have it, to buy it again? Even if its at a discounted rate?

I explained the possible rationale a while back. Essentially, chances are they did an internal study (unless their marketing dept sucks that is) and possibly determined that in terms of the maybes being converted to yes', possibly not enough of the double dipper market can be converted by a discount promo to justify the profit loss that this would cost. Bear in mind that the real issue here is that giving all the double dippers a discount means that the yes' discount is pure cost and as for the maybes the question will be: will the pricing promotion be sufficient to convince enough of the maybes to purchase the product in enough numbers to compensate for total promotional cost? My guess is that their internal studies said no or at the very least, they believe that it isn't.

What profit loss would there be if you can gain additional sales, albeit at a reduced rate?  If anything, it'll be added profit from gamers who would otherwise not purchase it because they already have the game.  This remaster is intended for the new buyers.. Not the double dippers.. But How will it hurt anything if they can get previous buyers to buy again?  Its basically additional cherries on top. I'm not sure where or what these "pure cost" are associated with that you speak of.  As far as I know any sales > no sales which would translate to additional profit from the double dippers (which theoretically could be a huge chunk of the 8 mil gamers sold to on the ps3).  Like my edit on my comment.. I'm sure EA and Activision had no problem with gamers willing to shell out an additional $10 on top of the $60 they already paid for their game to move from ps3 to ps4.  

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

BillyBong said:

What profit loss would there be if you can gain additional sales, albeit at a reduced rate?  If anything, it'll be added profit from gamers who would otherwise not purchase it because they already have the game.  This remaster is intended for the new buyers.. Not the double dippers.. But How will it hurt anything if they can get previous buyers to buy again?  Its basically additional cherries on top. I'm not sure where or what these "pure cost" are associated with that you speak of.  As far as I know any sales > no sales which would translate to additional profit from the double dippers.  Like my edit on my comment.. I'm sure EA and Activision had no problem with gamers willing to shell out an additional $10 on top of the $60 they already paid for their game to move from ps3 to ps4.  

Essentially. Of the double dipper niche market who will already buy, they will buy regardless of there being a promo. However, being qualified themselves of said promotion, the discount given them will be wasted/pure cost.

The purpose of a promotion is to convert the maybes to yes'. Is there a high number if maybes? Will a price cut/discount convince enough of these maybes to convert into yes' to compensate for the cost?

BillyBong said:
DrDoomz said:

What profit loss would there be if you can gain additional sales, albeit at a reduced rate?  If anything, it'll be added profit from gamers who would otherwise not purchase it because they already have the game.  This remaster is intended for the new buyers.. Not the double dippers.. But How will it hurt anything if they can get previous buyers to buy again?  Its basically additional cherries on top. I'm not sure where or what these "pure cost" are associated with that you speak of.  As far as I know any sales > no sales which would translate to additional profit from the double dippers (which theoretically could be a huge chunk of the 8 mil gamers sold to on the ps3).  Like my edit on my comment.. I'm sure EA and Activision had no problem with gamers willing to shell out an additional $10 on top of the $60 they already paid for their game to move from ps3 to ps4.  

The game would sell 8.4 million if they only charged 1$. You know it did cost them to make this game...

Around the Network
DrDoomz said:

BillyBong said:

What profit loss would there be if you can gain additional sales, albeit at a reduced rate?  If anything, it'll be added profit from gamers who would otherwise not purchase it because they already have the game.  This remaster is intended for the new buyers.. Not the double dippers.. But How will it hurt anything if they can get previous buyers to buy again?  Its basically additional cherries on top. I'm not sure where or what these "pure cost" are associated with that you speak of.  As far as I know any sales > no sales which would translate to additional profit from the double dippers.  Like my edit on my comment.. I'm sure EA and Activision had no problem with gamers willing to shell out an additional $10 on top of the $60 they already paid for their game to move from ps3 to ps4.  

Essentially. Of the double dipper niche market who will already buy, they will buy regardless of there being a promo. However, being qualified themselves of said promotion, the discount given them will be wasted/pure cost.

The purpose of a promotion is to convert the maybes to yes'. Is there a high number if maybes? Will a price cut/discount convince enough of these maybes to convert into yes' to compensate for the cost?

Cost to what though?  These double dippers would essentially be playing a ps4 version of TLOU using their PS3 disc on the ps4.  As for the number of maybes.. It would definitely be bigger with a discount than without.  Even in this thread, its pretty divided as to whether previous owners are willing to shell out another $50 for a game or content they already have on the ps3.  I'm pretty sure many who will not purchase a $50 upgrade of a game they already own, like myself, would be more willing to pay an upgrade fee if it means we could take what we have and play it on the ps4.. In fact, if there had been an upgrade discount offered, there would be no issue with a remastered or pricing of the remaster being released only a year after its initial debut.  Its divided as is because those that already bought it and also have moved on to the ps4 are the ones being ignored.  

2008ProchargedGT said:
BillyBong said:
DrDoomz said:

The game would sell 8.4 million if they only charged 1$. You know it did cost them to make this game...

You mean cost to port?  Which they could very cover pretty quickly with purchases by new gamers?  Tell me something like a $20-25 upgrade fee plus $50 for new users wouldn't yield more sales/profit for Sony and ND.. $50 from new owners and $25 on top of what previous owners already paid?  To add, they could also possibly get more previous gen owners with an upgrade fee? Seems like a no brainer to me.. 

*mods.. Sorry about dem quote trees.. Hard to remove when reply quoting on mobile.

Meh. Why are all the companies charging me for games I already own just so I can play them on different devices?

Why must I pay 15 bucks to play a Final Fantasy game on any device, when I own the SNES cart? Why is Nintendo charging this much for virtual console games, when I already own the original carts? They should give those games to me for free.

Ah, utopia, if only the real world was like you.

Hynad said:

Meh. Why are all the companies charging me for games I already own just so I can play them on different devices?

Why must I pay 15 bucks to play a Final Fantasy game on any device, when I own the SNES cart? Why is Nintendo charging this much for virtual console games, when I already own the original carts? They should give those games to me for free.

Ah, utopia, if only the real world was like you.

Ah... Technically, if you knew how to rip your cartridges, then you wouldn't have to pay again for your game.  The ripped ROM will play in any emu that will play it.. 

BillyBong said:
2008ProchargedGT said:
BillyBong said:
DrDoomz said:

You mean cost to port?  Which they could very cover pretty quickly with purchases by new gamers?  Tell me something like a $20-25 upgrade fee plus $50 for new users wouldn't yield more sales/profit for Sony and ND.. $50 from new owners and $25 on top of what previous owners already paid?  To add, they could also possibly get more previous gen owners with an upgrade fee? Seems like a no brainer to me.. 

*mods.. Sorry about dem quote trees.. Hard to remove when reply quoting on mobile.

I see what you are saying but maybe ND reduced the price to $50  for everyone instead of charging $60 for new and $25 for ppl who already had it on ps3. Thing is we do t know how much it cost them to make this game nor do we know how extensive thier reserch was to value it the way they did. They think at this price will yield optimum sales/profit performance. Guess we will have to see how it turns out. FYI im a ps3 tlou owner and im getting this game sold my copy for $20. 

im also on mobil so sry for quote trees as well