By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How important do you feel indie games are these days?

I know a lot of indie games are still terrible, but even 5 years ago did you think we'd see indie games as good as Shovel Knight, Guacamelee!, and potentially No Man's Sky?

Around the Network

I think indie games are ruining the industry. Due to the proliferation of cheap crappy games people have started questioning the $60 price tag of real games that actually take money and effort to produce.
I think indie crap should stay on smartphones, because I didn't buy a $400 console to play games that look like the ones I played on Commodore 64.

Also, due to increased media hype, it seems that all of a sudden it became justified to charge $20 for something that is not worth more than $2. Actually, it's still $2 on the smartphone, but miraculously gets inflated 10x on the console. Even when given for free, it's still not worth it, because they are a waste of time.

The only good thing those indie games do is give practice to the developers, so they have some experience when they decide to make a real game.

Burek said:
I think indie games are ruining the industry. Due to the proliferation of cheap crappy games people have started questioning the $60 price tag of real games that actually take money and effort to produce.
I think indie crap should stay on smartphones, because I didn't buy a $400 console to play games that look like the ones I played on Commodore 64.

Also, due to increased media hype, it seems that all of a sudden it became justified to charge $20 for something that is not worth more than $2. Actually, it's still $2 on the smartphone, but miraculously gets inflated 10x on the console. Even when given for free, it's still not worth it, because they are a waste of time.

The only good thing those indie games do is give practice to the developers, so they have some experience when they decide to make a real game.

Yeah, I don't agree. AAA titles are fast approaching an evolutionary dead end.

Bolded the purpose of every game ever created in the history of ever.

What indie games are you playing to see this crap? Don't take this the wrong way, but perhaps its more your fault for not being a little more savy in your choices? I've only ever bought one bad indie game, and it was on purpose.

Experimental42 said:
Burek said:

Yeah, I don't agree. AAA titles are fast approaching an evolutionary dead end.

Bolded the purpose of every game ever created in the history of ever.

What indie games are you playing to see this crap? Don't take this the wrong way, but perhaps its more your fault for not being a little more savy in your choices? I've only ever bought one bad indie game, and it was on purpose.

Oh, I never buy them, I don't feel it's prudent to spend $20 on them. Or $10. Or waste an evening on them. I don't even bother downloading those free PS+ games, they just clutter my hard drive. I don't really feel that nostalgic for my youth to endure PacMan graphics in 2014. 

Burek said:

Oh, I never buy them, I don't feel it's prudent to spend $20 on them. Or $10. Or waste an evening on them. I don't even bother downloading those free PS+ games, they just clutter my hard drive. I don't really feel that nostalgic for my youth to endure PacMan graphics in 2014. 

Thats a bit harsh.lol

I like games made in the style of older systems, like Mega Man 9-10, Mutant Mudds, Contra Rebirth, Castlevania Rebirth etc...

If youre not a retro gamer at all, then I can understand it though

Around the Network

I play more indie games than AAA games, so very important.
This year so far: Resogun, Flow, Flower, Outlast, Plants vs Zombies, Broken age, FTL, Entwined, Fract OSC, Stanley parable, Child of light, Transistor, Pixeljunk shooter ultimate, Trine 2. vs 7 AAA games.
You simply don't find that much variation in AAA games.

SvennoJ said:
This year so far: Resogun, Flow, Flower, Outlast, Plants vs Zombies, Broken age, FTL, Entwined, Fract OSC, Stanley parable, Child of light, Transistor, Pixeljunk shooter ultimate, Trine 2. vs 7 AAA games.

Theres not just AAA and Indies though...

SvennoJ said:

You do realize that quite a few of those games you mentioned are not indie?

And as KLX said, it's not just those two types of games.

Indie games are generally very fun and they are also useful when I don't feel like playing something that was made with a gigantic budget!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Indies are very important now, but companies have to be careful which ones they support. Having a lot of mediocre indies can damage the image of a digital service. The less shovelware, the better.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.