By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo phasing out the OG 3DS?

Very likely for reasons that have been posted at least ten times. The original 3DS just isn't as good.

Around the Network

It won't surprised me if they did. Looking at just Japan, every week the 3DS XL is what the vast majority of people are buying.

What's an OG 3DS?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
What's an OG 3DS?

The original model of the 3DS(and any of it's colors).  The XL is the bigger one and the 2DS is the one screen - no 3D one.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

XL is a little too big and 2DS is ugly and toyish.

I prefer my classic 3DS and hope Nintendo will continu to sell a decently sized portable.

Around the Network

I hope so. The OG 3DS is terribad. Hardly use mine anymore since I got an XL.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

2DS much better price
3DS XL much better for those wanting a more comfortable gaming experience
3DS OG is basically irrelevant right now. I have one but plan to upgrade once we see the XL go down a bit

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

DarkRPGamer007 said:
2DS much better price
3DS OG is basically irrelevant right now. I have one but plan to upgrade once we see the XL go down a bit

XL is too big, and can hardly fit into a pocket

Lucas-Rio said:
DarkRPGamer007 said:
2DS much better price

XL is too big, and can hardly fit into a pocket

Ok so that might be one downfall but still it's easier to stare at those screens for longer periods of time then the little 3DS ones. I will still be using mine after I get the XL for when I'm at school and other places where I need a compact device, but other than that XL is welcome into my life

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

zorg1000 said:

I was wondering if anybody else has noticed this, In the last couple quarterly shipments the OG 3DS numbers were very small compared to the XL & 2DS and I havent actually seen them in any stores in a few months which inculdes various retailers in Southern California and Norhern Illinois.

My theory is that they have a new revision releasing soon and are ending the OG model. They announced recently an NFC adapter that will be compatible with Amiibo's, I think this revision will include that functionality built-in and include the aesthetic improvements that the XL introduced.

Well, isn't the original model kind of pointless now? The XL is superior and the 2DS is cheaper. There really isn't much of a need for the first model imo.