By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Excessive HD remasters.

http://plebegaming.wordpress.com/2014/07/13/excessive-hd-remasters/

I'm fine with HD remasters. I love what they do by going back and bringing some of the classics with updated visuals so today's graphics whores may appreciate them more and I get to enjoy them with more modern touches. What's not to love about updated nostalgia?

Where I draw the line though is when HD remasters for games that literally came out last year are repackaged and sold at pretty much full price. It's not bringing back a classic. It's slapping a new coat of paint on on something barely out of our minds and trying to sell it to us at roughly the same price of the original launch. I work hard for my money, so I'd appreciate if you'd work a little harder for yours, be it a reasonably reduced price for the product you spent almost no effort on, or the extra effort updating a more dated game/collection would take.

If you want to make a good remaster you need to do one of two things:

1) Remake something great that's old enough to invoke nostalgia.

2) Remake a good game like The Last of Us but price it reasonably, perhaps start at a place equal to the price the original is currently selling at.

Around the Network

Here we go again.

3DS, Wii, PSP, Vita, PS2, PS3, PS4 & Steam.

Phronesis said:
Here we go again.

This is an important topic that needs to be discussed.

OP: I think remasters of old games are really good, and games that barely released and not much time is passed should be priced slighly cheaper imho.

Your fallacy is that these games might've been released a year ago but their graphics are 7 years old. Seems like a decent time for a remaster don't you think?

No one would've bat an eye if the PS4 released around the same time as the game but apparently there is a magic time line when a port is ok and when it's not. How is it so hard to accept cross generation ports?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

This is no different than cross gen ports that have been done way before The Last of Us was even an idea at Naughty Dog.

Around the Network

As long as these remastered games aren't pulling significant resources off of other games in development, I don't see what the problem is.

Don't like it? Then don't buy it.

I've noticed that this kind of topic is starting to become a trend here on these forums. What's going on?

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

WhiteEaglePL said:
Phronesis said:
Here we go again.

OP: I think remasters of old games are really good, and games that barely released and not much time is passed should be priced slighly cheaper imho.

It really isn't.

DerNebel said:
WhiteEaglePL said:
Phronesis said:
Here we go again.

It really isn't.

It really is.

It's almost like they're trying to make money. Those bastards.