By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Witcher 3 E3 Xbox One Demo Analysis: "Experience Closer To PC, DX11 API Knowledge Helpful in Xbox One Development"

The game looks awesome. I will most likely get this for ps4.

Around the Network
Raziel123 said:
They forgot to say "closer to a low range PC"

which is the vast majority of PC, even for gamers, global stats show that more people have below 1080p rigs even among steam gamers

Zekkyou said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:
Well so long the "ps4 is easier to develop for" this clearly states otherwise.

To quote them from another article:

"It's actually easier to develop for Xbox One for us because we're PC developers. So everything we do on PC is for DirectX 11. And Xbox is also based on DX. So for the rendering side it's a more natural progression for us to go to Xbox." ... "But we anticipate being able to do 1080p on PS4 a little bit easier than on the Xbox."

It's not a matter of the hardware being easier to work with, they simply have more experience with DX. In general terms to consensus seems to be that the PS4 is easier to work with (understandably), but of course a developer's own experience with the hardware and its API will come into play.

His statement does speak volumes though. They're having a slightly easier time achieving 1080p on the console they understand less ^^

Major Nelson called, he wants his spin back  

Still probably going to be 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One.

@ OP. This is a Eurogamer Article Gamepur is quoting http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-witcher-3-tech-analysis Credit where credit should be due.

Cannot wait for this game. Going to be awesome regardless of where you buy it.

Around the Network

Get that FPS locked in, talk about resolution later.

Well this is just awesome news. I just hope that PS4 version doesn't receive a resolution cut.

4 ≈ One

Those comments about the resolution are all very strange things to say, all he's trying to say is that the XB1 is closer to a PC, so getting the initial builds to run and probably the exact same bugs as some PC configuration makes things easier in some way... however, the PS4 APIs are pretty close, so porting is relatively easy (this remains a port, it's still more work than if the programming interface was exactly the same) and since the machine is more powerful, well reaching 1080p at their target frame rate is much easier.

I'm sure I understand the use of the term "closer" in this context. Closer to PC than what? Forgive me if it's obvious and I just missed it but I don't get what they are comparing it to...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

shikamaru317 said:

I remember one of the Witcher devs at E3 said that PS4 and Xbox One will be running the equivalent of PC very high settings. So it is indeed very close to PC, which will of course be capable of ultra settings, one notch above very high. And of course on PC you can go higher than 1080p and 30fps, turn on extra anti-aliasing, and turn on PhysX. Still consoles seem to be matching a mid-high end PC for now, at least in Witcher 3.

I thought they said console versions would simply be "high." Which is what most current gen console titles seem to be doing -- though that's pretty admirable in itself, considering the rig you'd need to run those settings on PC.