By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U as a Tablet

JWeinCom said:
1. Can't extend beyond one room.
2. Doesn't have the large app store that other tablets have.
3. The OS is not quite as fast as others.
4. It lacks some standard features like pinch zoom.

The Wii U has some cool features, but on the whole, it'd make a pretty shitty tablet, which is why Nintendo isn't playing up that angle.

I'll quote you because you sum up the reasons for the counter argument of everyone very well.  But this is also my exact point

Look at these reasons. How many of these will easily be solved with naturally improving technology?  There comes a point (graphics are a great example) where technology improvements don't keep taking as big leaps and older technology can provide big leaps at not as much cost.  By next gen, and maybe in the middle if Nintendo wants to release an updated Wii U (I doubt it), these reasons will no longer exist.

By next gen:

1. The gamepads can extend further enough to be used probably throughout a whole medium-sized house
  2. No reason why an app store can't be implemented.  This is purely a matter of Nintendo deciding to or not.  No technological barriers here really
  3. The Quick Start is already foreshadowing how quick video game Hubs can be in the immediate and distant future
  4. Pinch zoom, among others, will easily be solved with an updated screen.
Again, I think by next gen there will be almost no excuse for mobile video game hardware not to be able to be a fully functional tablet PLUS be a dedicated console.  I think this path in the future will be interesting...

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
burninmylight said:

Bolded: Could you do me a favor and acknowledge that I recognized this as an issue in my post? I pretty much said the same thing, so I don't understand why you feel the need to remind me. Nothing is more frustrating than when someone replies to you and feels the need to tell you what you just said.

I use the GamePad in my bedroom while the console sits in the living room, 20 feet away and through a wall, all the time. I also play Toki Tori while taking a shit. Everyone's mileage is different.

Like I said, the GamePad does enough for what I need for it, and for what I would want any young children to have for it. I am in no way saying it can do everything an actual tablet can. I'm saying that it can serve many of the most basic functions of a tablet: browsing the Web, streaming video and playing games. That's what Nintendo should be promoting.

Yes, my point was that not only can it not leave the house (like you mentioned), but it can't leave the room either (which you didn't).

Also, a tablet does all of the things you mentioned a thousand times better. Browsing the web on a resistive touch screen? Sreaming videos onto a tablet when you are in the same room as your TV? Playin games, sure, but tablets cater to a different type of game preference, a much more casual one.

A tablet does what it does better. We've established that a million times over, and no one is arguing against that. I would hope a tablet does a better job: a tablet is a tablet first, the GamePad is a console controller first and a tablet alternative second.

Assuming "casual" means simple, there are plenty of casual games available on the Wii U eShop.

I don't understand why everyone thinks that there is no value in the GamePad at all, just because it can't do everything a tablet does or do it as well. My Volkswagen Golf can't compete with a Ferrari; should I stop driving it and save up for a better car? My Wii U can't compete with the PS4 or X1 on a graphical level; should I stop playing it? When I go to the gym, I can't bench as much as the roided up guy in the Affliction tanktop; should my girl leave me for him? When I go down to the court and jump in a pick up game, I never get picked first; does this mean I can't help my team win?

I know full well my Wii U can't hold a candle to a bona fide tablet. However, it already does everything I need out of a tablet, so why go spend a few hundred dollars on bases that are already covered? It's like everyone has this all-or-nothing mentality in which everything that is not the best at what it can do is automatically useless at doing those things.

Pointless thread imho.

robzo100 said:
JWeinCom said:
1. Can't extend beyond one room.
2. Doesn't have the large app store that other tablets have.
3. The OS is not quite as fast as others.
4. It lacks some standard features like pinch zoom.

The Wii U has some cool features, but on the whole, it'd make a pretty shitty tablet, which is why Nintendo isn't playing up that angle.

I'll quote you because you sum up the reasons for the counter argument of everyone very well.  But this is also my exact point

Look at these reasons. How many of these will easily be solved with naturally improving technology?  There comes a point (graphics are a great example) where technology improvements don't keep taking as big leaps and older technology can provide big leaps at not as much cost.  By next gen, and maybe in the middle if Nintendo wants to release an updated Wii U (I doubt it), these reasons will no longer exist.

By next gen:

1. The gamepads can extend further enough to be used probably throughout a whole medium-sized house
  2. No reason why an app store can't be implemented.  This is purely a matter of Nintendo deciding to or not.  No technological barriers here really
  3. The Quick Start is already foreshadowing how quick video game Hubs can be in the immediate and distant future
  4. Pinch zoom, among others, will easily be solved with an updated screen.
Again, I think by next gen there will be almost no excuse for mobile video game hardware not to be able to be a fully functional tablet PLUS be a dedicated console.  I think this path in the future will be interesting...

1.  That's assuming that Nintendo still uses the gamepad.  It's not exactly setting the world on fire.  The fact that you can't take it with you is also a huge factor, and that's not one that can be fixed without massive cost.

2.  Yeah there is, install base.  There really isn't much incentive for developers to make apps for a tablet that is unlikely to be people's primary tablet.  Even if we assume the Wii U 2 is as successful as the Wii, it's still a realatively small user base compared to IOS and Android.

3.  Quick start is a cool feature, but the Wii U is still years behind other OS.  Nintendo is simply not a company like Apple or Google that has a strong focus on OS.  The OS is my favorite for a gaming machine, but still far behind Smart Phones and tablets.

4.  There are also some copyright issues regarding that as well.  But, it could be done.

Even if all of those things are done, it still makes for a weak tablet.  I like the idea of using a tablet controller hybrid for games, and I've used my Gamepad to watch netflix and browse the net now and then, but marketing it as a tablet will just point out its deficiencies in that regard.  In marketing, you want to highlight what your product does well (games) not what it lacks in.

JWeinCom said:  Even if all of those things are done, it still makes for a weak tablet.  I like the idea of using a tablet controller hybrid for games, and I've used my Gamepad to watch netflix and browse the net now and then, but marketing it as a tablet will just point out its deficiencies in that regard.  In marketing, you want to highlight what your product does well (games) not what it lacks in.

Good points (Didn't want to copy the whole text from both of us) and I think this here sums it up.  Right now it's not best to be marketed as a tablet, but next-gen tech imo can easily solve all of these problems except for the app store, which I would agree has no incentive for developers to create on if it's not a popular system.  I do not think, however, that Nintendo will give up the gamepad idea considering all the talk of merging the mobile and console departments.

Keeping in mind the diminishing retruns of technological improvements (think Graphics, or even OS speed), I think the more important question is where will the leaders of current tablet technology take tablets?

Why?  Because unless they innovate then companies like Nintendo will easily be able to catch up just like the difference in Graphics between Wii U and XboxONE/PS4 is not as big as it was between Wii and 360/PS4.  If tablets find new ways to be utilized with increased speed/memory/pixels/etc. then Nintendo will keep playing catch up.  But has tablet use really innovated a whole lot since their original introduction?  I argue no, which leaves the door open for disruption...

Around the Network
robzo100 said:

Good points (Didn't want to copy the whole text from both of us) and I think this here sums it up.  Right now it's not best to be marketed as a tablet, but next-gen tech imo can easily solve all of these problems except for the app store, which I would agree has no incentive for developers to create on if it's not a popular system.  I do not think, however, that Nintendo will give up the gamepad idea considering all the talk of merging the mobile and console departments.

Keeping in mind the diminishing retruns of technological improvements (think Graphics, or even OS speed), I think the more important question is where will the leaders of current tablet technology take tablets?

Why?  Because unless they innovate then companies like Nintendo will easily be able to catch up just like the difference in Graphics between Wii U and XboxONE/PS4 is not as big as it was between Wii and 360/PS4.  If tablets find new ways to be utilized with increased speed/memory/pixels/etc. then Nintendo will keep playing catch up.  But has tablet use really innovated a whole lot since their original introduction?  I argue no, which leaves the door open for disruption...

Definitely a fair point about the progression of tablets which has been too slow.  But, Nintendo makes a new game console every 5 years.  Even IF Nintendo made an amazing tablet that revolutionized the industry, other companies could adapt far more quickly based on their yearly business model

JWeinCom said:

Definitely a fair point about the progression of tablets which has been too slow.  But, Nintendo makes a new game console every 5 years.  Even IF Nintendo made an amazing tablet that revolutionized the industry, other companies could adapt far more quickly based on their yearly business model

With the home consoles, yes.  But with the mobile consoles they seem to be willing to make a new updated piece of hardware every 2 years or so (why they don't do this with the home console I'm not quite sure).

I want to see how this merging of the two departments comes together.  Because if they do merge in some fashion then maybe updated console hardware throughout the generation will be possible.  Graphics can't change, true, but other things can.  Which aspects can I can't say I'm totally sure of...

I'm not really sure why it has to constantly be pointed out that the GamePad is not a tablet, and shouldn't be COMPARED to tablets, as in at all.

The DS and 3DS are not "tablets". They are portable gaming devices, with regular gaming controls, that happen to have touch screen input as well.

The GamePad is the exact same thing. A regular controller, with ALL the regular amenities (and then some), plus it has a nice big touch screen, that also acts as a nice off-tv screen and second screen for gaming.

That's it. That's all. End of story. If Nintendo wants to promote something, promote GAMES with better advertising. Fuck "trying to edge in on tablet markets".

My goodness, I wonder what the expansion port on the bottom of the gamepad could be used for

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

DevilRising said:
I'm not really sure why it has to constantly be pointed out that the GamePad is not a tablet, and shouldn't be COMPARED to tablets, as in at all.

The DS and 3DS are not "tablets". They are portable gaming devices, with regular gaming controls, that happen to have touch screen input as well.

The GamePad is the exact same thing. A regular controller, with ALL the regular amenities (and then some), plus it has a nice big touch screen, that also acts as a nice off-tv screen and second screen for gaming.

That's it. That's all. End of story. If Nintendo wants to promote something, promote GAMES with better advertising. Fuck "trying to edge in on tablet markets".

The point of this thread is to ask how "far" is the Wii U from being a tablet.  And should Nintendo take it in that direction (considering the device is failing as gaming device right now).  Looking at my other posts you can ask yourself whether the tablet market has really innovated at all since it's first conception.

If the answer is "no" then that means technological advancements (speed, pixels, etc.) in tablet computing will generate diminishing returns (thinkg graphics) and allow specialized tablet devices (like Kindle or Wii U) to play catch up.  Unless tablets will go in a new direction (I say no unless the new Apple pulls something from leftfield) then the door is open for the Wii U gamepad to eventually harbor all the basic essentials of modern tablets while still being a dedicated gaming device as it is.