By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Did life come about chance or by God?

Ron Jeremy went way, way back in time and jacked off into a puddle.

Your horribly disturbing image for the day.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
kitler53 said:

no matter what you believe you can always ask the question "well where did that come from?".  at some point you have to come to the conclusion that some fundamental/elementry set of something has just always existed without a creator.

so if "god" can just always exist and not need a creator then why is it so hard to suppose that the matter and energy that make up our universe just always existed without a creator?

Furthermore, from a creation standpoint you could argue if God created himself or was always there, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that other Gods created themselves and were already there. There's no reason why there only had to be one first cause, besides Christianity and other monotheistic religions asserting that there is only "One True God".

The idea of matter and energy already exisitng is probably too hard to understand for religious people because they require that something sentient had to be the creator. This shouldn't preclude the creator itself, but critical thinking doesn't work well with faith so "God was already there" just suffices. But at the same time, there's no reason any particular god (or gods) is the right one, considering there's no proof of anything outside of your holy text(s) of choice, which you most likely choose because that's what you were raised with or are more familiar with otherwise. IMO, the more attributes you add to a god, the less likely it seems to be.

i dunno,. perhaps it is just because my atheism is grounded in science but this seems awefully dismissive to me.   in the dogma of christianity there are plenty of contradictions that can certainly used to show flaws and errors in our daily worldly interpritations of the bible.  but that core idea of "god",. an entity that created our universe,..  there is a lack of evidence to prove but there is also a lack of evidence to disprove.   as far as the evidence goes there really isnt' anything we have at our disposal one way or the other.

i have my views on the universe but they are "beliefs" just like any other.

Even if there is a "god", who says it has to be the fairy tale version written by humans?

Microbes from a completely different civilization/planet could've smashed into the earth on the back of a meteor and begun the process of life here.

I actually tend to favor this hypothesis, that life on Earth actually has a (technically) alien origin. Large chunks of the water on the planet smashed into Earth via frozen meteors (so in a sense that's alien water), so who's to say a few microbes couldn't have been on one of the tens of thousands of meteors that was smashing into the Earth in its formative stages? 

I don't really see much/any evidence for a singular entity that gives two craps about what happens on this planet, it's just a comforting, easy to comprehend concept to humans so we've ran with it. 

this is how it happened

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

some scientists who are presented with something they can't yet understand will invariably look to the devine. This happened in the history of astrophysics as well when minds like Isaac Newton would call god in at parts he didn't yet understand and years later we'd come to understand the rules that define what he saw and take out the requirement for a god.

Science has a very good history for explaining things that were once the realm of the supernatural and I see no reason to bet against it now. Basically, just because we don't know how something happened does not mean god did it.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Even if there is a "god", who says it has to be the fairy tale version written by humans?

Microbes from a completely different civilization/planet could've smashed into the earth on the back of a meteor and begun the process of life here.

I actually tend to favor this hypothesis, that life on Earth actually has a (technically) alien origin. Large chunks of the water on the planet smashed into Earth via frozen meteors (so in a sense that's alien water), so who's to say a few microbes couldn't have been on one of the tens of thousands of meteors that was smashing into the Earth in its formative stages? 

I don't really see much/any evidence for a singular entity that gives two craps about what happens on this planet, it's just a comforting, easy to comprehend concept to humans so we've ran with it. 

Some religious people would then ask the question 'well where did those microbes come from?' Surely God created them!

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Torillian said:
some scientists who are presented with something they can't yet understand will invariably look to the devine. This happened in the history of astrophysics as well when minds like Isaac Newton would call god in at parts he didn't yet understand and years later we'd come to understand the rules that define what he saw and take out the requirement for a god.

Science has a very good history for explaining things that were once the realm of the supernatural and I see no reason to bet against it now. Basically, just because we don't know how something happened does not mean god did it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I have a better question for you:

Considering all different religions throughout history and all their branches, as well as human interpretations and alterations made to the writings of said religions, what are the chances of you believing in the particular god that created the Universe?

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
I have a better question for you:

Considering all different religions throughout history and all their branches, as well as human interpretations and alterations made to the writings of said religions, what are the chances of you believing in the particular god that created the Universe?

I cried out to God (Jesus) in brokenesses and repentance and He revealed Himself to me in a powerful way.

And there are numerous testimonies of Jesus changing people and doing miracles in their life https://plus.google.com/communities/112711114690012931971

I never heard a testimony of Allah, Buddha or Krishna revealing himself to anyone and communing with them.

OoSnap said:

Where did life come from?: http://youtu.be/Eoctk9Rw9FQ

the question is malformed, it's a false dichotomy fallacy. not to mention the presupposition of god. this is just horrible reasoning on your behalf that I've grown accustomed to hearing from the religious. not sure if they are teaching you this ineptitude in church or what, but seriously, go invest in some actual education about epistemology and first order logics so you can actually form ideas that aren't hilarious invalid, unsound, and irrational.