By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - [Poll] Biological Immortality - yay or nay?

Would you accept immortality?

Hells yes! 88 58.67%

No, but I would be fine w... 15 10.00%

No, it should be outlawed... 47 31.33%

Total:150

It will never be possible, but if it were, I wouldn't outlaw it, just set a strict set of rules. Like, for every person being immortal, we execute one person per year. That execution would be very expensive and paid by that immortal. This way we could fight overpopulation, while at the same time ensure that only rich people live forever, and the poor wouldn't pollute the Earth.
I believe this is the best solution, and certainly nothing could go wrong with this plan.

Well, this is actually a good idea for a book/movie. You've read it here first, if someone steals this, I'm suing for millions.

Around the Network
VanceIX said:
Roma said:
like time travel this is not possible

Not true. There are already species that are biologically immortal. Scientists have also made great leaps in identifying causes of aging (like telomere caps), and with genetic engineering not too far off, nothing is truly impossible.

aging isn't always the cause for death. the cause for death only needs to be that your time is up. life has some rules that can't be broken. lets say immortality was something that could be achieved what do you think will happen to people once we run out of food and still can't die? would you want to live in a body that can't move once there is nothing to consume?

anti aging is possible to a degree but immortality is not 

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Nope, we need some form of population control. And even if this were real, people would get tired of living at around 200 years.

Depends ... I don't want my body to start aging like shite so I would want to keep my early 20's form for a long time.

Roma said:
VanceIX said:
Roma said:

Not true. There are already species that are biologically immortal. Scientists have also made great leaps in identifying causes of aging (like telomere caps), and with genetic engineering not too far off, nothing is truly impossible.

aging isn't always the cause for death. the cause for death only needs to be that your time is up. life has some rules that can't be broken. lets say immortality was something that could be achieved what do you think will happen to people once we run out of food and still can't die? would you want to live in a body that can't move once there is nothing to consume?

anti aging is possible to a degree but immortality is not 

Biological immortality refers to the body's ability to keep regenerating at a pace in that, disregarding any external circumstances, the body could live forever.

There are species of jellyfish that are "biologically immortal". They can die, by being eaten or poisoned and such, but their bodies are in a constant cycle of regenration. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network

No, I wouldn't like to be immortal. Unless I had super strength and speed and a neat outfit to go with my powers, I have NO desire to become immortal. Seriously though, this cannot be possible by any means. And if it were possible, I doubt a secret this big and controversial will go public.

VanceIX said:
Roma said:

That is still ignoring the ultimate fact that, were this even possible (hint: it isn't), it would come down to a very few having it, while everyone else still dies.

It's against nature, and death is a part of the cycle of life. You disrupt that, the world would be far more fucked than it is right now.

Trying to state otherwise, even scientifically, is ignorance, I feel.

The realty of what we know
http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/06/a-handful-of-girls-seem-to-defy-one-of-the-biggest-certainties-in-life-aging/

DevilRising said:
VanceIX said:
Roma said:

That is still ignoring the ultimate fact that, were this even possible (hint: it isn't), it would come down to a very few having it, while everyone else still dies.

It's against nature, and death is a part of the cycle of life. You disrupt that, the world would be far more fucked than it is right now.

Trying to state otherwise, even scientifically, is ignorance, I feel.

I'm not saying that it should or shouldn't be done. I'm just saying that it is possible. If you don't believe me (I'm in the process of my biochem major, btw), just look up all the articles on it. One day in the future, perhaps even in our lifetime, genetic engineering will enable scientists to change almost any aspect of the body, including dealing with telomere degradation, which will allow breakthroughs in aging. Whether or not that is good is the question I asked.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:

Have you watched Gattaca? just curious that's all

edit: and yes that movie relates to this in a way

Squeezol's Fanclub Member? is that how it works?

Why can't I hold all these no gaemz?

Always looking to improve my awful drawings ;_;