By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - [Poll] Biological Immortality - yay or nay?

Would you accept immortality?

Hells yes! 88 58.67%

No, but I would be fine w... 15 10.00%

No, it should be outlawed... 47 31.33%

Total:150

I would be all for it. But not until we have the technology to terraform and colonize other worlds.

Transcendent Man is a fascinating documentary.

Around the Network

Two things surprise me about the results of the poll:

1) How many people support immortality. I voted yes, but I assumed most people would try to claim they are "Above" that.

2) How many people would ruin everyone else's fun if they could!!! Just F*ck off if you don't want it!

Turkish said:
VanceIX said:

There seems to be a lot  of debate over the morality of biological immortality, and what it would mean for the economic and social structure of society.

If you were given the option to become biologically immortal, would you take it? Would you want biological immortality outlawed? Or would you just want people to have a choice?

EDIT: Biological immortality is the ability to never age. It's very different from mainstream immortality since you can still die from external circumstances like an accident or starvation.

Lol at these type of ques-tionz. "what would you do with a time machine" "what would you wish if you had all dragon balls" etc etc

these things will never happen

I would encourage you to do some research on the topic before writing it off. I'm actually doing research on my way to becoming a biochemist, and this is the kind of stuff we study at times. Perhaps not in our lifetime, but it is possible. Aging is a process caused by many different aspects of our body. One of the major ones is the degradation of telomeres on chromosomes over time. Tons of money is being poured into research to slow down or eliminate that degradation, and with genetic engineering right around the corner, scientists will be able to do things with the human body the human race could never have dreamed of.

Now, I'm saying it's right or wrong. That's what I'm asking you.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Augen said:
I could see living longer and healthier being a benefit, but infinite life span could retard human development in some ways. To me, the old dying out is often how the zeitgeist changes in a culture. Most people I know above 50 are deeply entrenched in their beliefs and struggle to understand new ways of thinking. It is an interesting question how much immortality or even living to 500 would change the way we perceive ourselves. If anyone has dealt with the generation gap of say a grand parent who comes across as racist or xenophobic, just imagine how odd it would be to talk to ancestors 10 generations removed one way or the other.

I would say not sure humanity is ready for such an advancement yet given our often short sighted views. Maybe others are more optimistic and think if you had to actually worry about 2200 you would live differently and utilize resources and spending habits accordingly.

That depends how biological immortality would work. You assume the mind still ages, but it is also possible that the mind renews itself with the rest of the body, staying open minded and adaptable instead of getting stuck in your ways. Wouldn't it be great if you could retain that early learning capability, soak up a new language like children can.

It will have an effect on human development. No need to have children before the age of 35, offset by a need to think more long term instead of it will last my time.

There will be plenty problems ofcourse. What about life sentences in prison. Wars nobody gets over anymore. Would life become more valuable or less. And an ever growing population. But surely there are better ways to deal with that than relying on people to die.

SvennoJ said:
LemonSlice said:
Immortality would be fun for a couple of years, then it would get boring. And considering we already live longer than a couple of years, I consider it pointless.

And completely wrong, of course.

What is this boredom you speak of. I haven't been bored since I was a kid. How can anyone be bored in this day and age.
Unless you replace actual boredom with wanting to do something else than what you currently have to do. Immortality would only give you more time to do the things you want.

The system of people ageing, getting worse at their jobs, then being inactive for upto 30 years, having to grow new people for upto 30 years befor becoming productive, how inefficient is that. With biological immortality everyone could work half the time and still be more productive than we are now as a species.

It's not a system, it's fucking nature. Even if it was inefficient, which it isn't, it is what it is, and allows new people to experience the world through their own eyes. Life wouldn't be complete without the experiences of childhood and old age, both with their own sets of challenges but also unique feelings and perspectives. Immortality is selfish and greedy, and in reality would feel like a living nightmare.

Around the Network
LemonSlice said:
SvennoJ said:
LemonSlice said:
Immortality would be fun for a couple of years, then it would get boring. And considering we already live longer than a couple of years, I consider it pointless.

What is this boredom you speak of. I haven't been bored since I was a kid. How can anyone be bored in this day and age.
Unless you replace actual boredom with wanting to do something else than what you currently have to do. Immortality would only give you more time to do the things you want.

The system of people ageing, getting worse at their jobs, then being inactive for upto 30 years, having to grow new people for upto 30 years befor becoming productive, how inefficient is that. With biological immortality everyone could work half the time and still be more productive than we are now as a species.

It's not a system, it's fucking nature. Even if it was inefficient, which it isn't, it is what it is, and allows new people to experience the world through their own eyes. Life wouldn't be complete without the experiences of childhood and old age, both with their own sets of challenges but also unique feelings and perspectives. Immortality is selfish and greedy, and in reality would feel like a living nightmare.

It's also in our nature to prolong life. If it were upto nature we would still be eaten by predators, die of the plague and have an average life span of 30. Childhood could be much longer, you could choose to age if you like that challenge. Why not have the peace of mind of a 70 year old with the strength of a 30 year old.

Selfish and greedy, living nightmare? Or take on a long project and see it flourish.

immortality would be a curse. Think about you, everyone you loved would die while you are still kicking around. If humanity itself was immortal, we'd destroy this planet due to massive over population. We'd grow quicker than technology could advance to sustain us and then we'd have to live in that. It would be hell.

SvennoJ said:
LemonSlice said:
SvennoJ said:
LemonSlice said:

It's also in our nature to prolong life. If it were upto nature we would still be eaten by predators, die of the plague and have an average life span of 30. Childhood could be much longer, you could choose to age if you like that challenge. Why not have the peace of mind of a 70 year old with the strength of a 30 year old.

Selfish and greedy, living nightmare? Or take on a long project and see it flourish.

That "life span of 30" you mention was due to high infancy and childhood mortality rates. If you lived to adulthood, there was a very good chance you'd reach 60 and beyond. And that's at any point in human history.

Anyway, the things you've said in this thread... wow, it's all exceptionally disturbed and delusional. I can't believe you have a Miyazaki avatar. Have you seen Tales from Earthsea? It deals exactly with this subject.

Maybe to an extend, like being able to 'stop' aging for 20 years. But mortality as in 'you never age and can only die by an accident' please, god no!

LemonSlice said:
SvennoJ said:

That "life span of 30" you mention was due to high infancy and childhood mortality rates. If you lived to adulthood, there was a very good chance you'd reach 60 and beyond. And that's at any point in human history.

Anyway, the things you've said in this thread... wow, it's all exceptionally disturbed and delusional. I can't believe you have a Miyazaki avatar. Have you seen Tales from Earthsea? It deals exactly with this subject.

What's so great about ageing. Out of my grandparents, first died of cancer after a long battle, next one after the third heart attack she pleaded to let her go, taken of the respirator in the hospital, next one eventually brought back from the hospital to die at home after losing most basic functions earlier already, last one also brought back home to slowly drown in his own lung fluids. My mother has early alzheimer's, father spells of extreme dizyness.
Yet biological immortality is bad?

People always fear the unknown or make up reasons why what they can't have must be bad. Humans must be the best there is, so immortals always have the wish to die, or immortality is a curse, or some other catch.