By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Putting the PC cost argument to rest

Agree with OP. I love gaming on my PC and since building it in 2011/12 I've spent almost nothing on it and bought tons of cheap games.

Around the Network

for me its also an issue of space. I just dont want to get a desktop as i dont have the space for it. Ive gotten used to laptops which suck for gaming...believe me ive tried. Maybe one day

oniyide said:
for me its also an issue of space. I just dont want to get a desktop as i dont have the space for it. Ive gotten used to laptops which suck for gaming...believe me ive tried. Maybe one day

Have you considered a Micro ATX build? You can build a PC not much bigger than a console like that. It is a bit harder to pick out the parts, but PC Partpicker usually does a good job at identifying incompatible parts.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
oniyide said:

Have you considered a Micro ATX build? You can build a PC not much bigger than a console like that. It is a bit harder to pick out the parts, but PC Partpicker usually does a good job at identifying incompatible parts.

no i havent. ill look into that

that holds true if you buy an amd gpu

Around the Network

You can reuse half the stuff in your next PC build anyway so the cost is variable.Keyboard, mouse, sound card, speakers, monitor, DVD drive, possibly even hard drives and the case (Probably not the PSU component)  are all usable in your next machine.

Nettles said:

You can reuse half the stuff in your next PC build anyway so the cost is variable.Keyboard, mouse, sound card, speakers, monitor, DVD drive, possibly even hard drives and the case (Probably not the PSU component)  are all usable in your next machine.

Yup. A lot of my parts (fans, case, network card, HDD and SSD) are going to be reused in my next build, whenever that may be. You can use the same CPU/MB for 5-7 years easy, and replace the GPU every 4 years. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:

You also have to upgrade your graphics card every 4 years or so, but with the money that you save from free online and sales that shouldn't be a big deal, seeing as that some of the best high-end graphics cards start at $299.

And after that, you will never have to truly rebuy a new PC. Things like the HDD, case, fan, etc. can be reused for a relatively long time, or at least until they get too worn out. You won't ever have to spend $1000 again after the initial investment.

Umm, eventually your PC will become obselete and you will have to replace a huge chunk of it (the most expensive parts) if you want to run the latest software smoothly. You will not even be able to upgrade it easily since finding the parts won't be as easy (or cheap) as you might like.

With the fast pace of technology advancement espcially in the PC arena, I would say that 10 years is more than enough. Core 2 Duo (Intel's first 64-bit architecture) is only 7.5 years old but there is not much you can do today to upgrade it or the LGA775 motherboard that comes with it. Running a PCI-e 3.0 card on a PCI-e 1.x port doesn't make much sense. Your SATA III SSD won't run up to spec on the SATA II port on your motherboard (heck, current SSDs are being limited by SATA III). These things matter if you are a gamer. Don't forget PCs are less optimized than consoles. This might change with Steam OS/Mantle/GameWorks, though.

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

VanceIX said:
Cj2i3 said:
I completely disagree that PC gaming is much cheaper overall. Yes Humble Bundle and Steam Sales have very cheap games listed but that doesn't mean your going to spend less.

You may get 2 games on console for 60 dollars and maybe on PC you get 10 games for 60 maybe even up to 90$. Obviously you get more for less, that doesn't mean you spend less on games.
I'm just describing my situation, I normally would get 1 console game every 2-3 months that game ranges from 20-60$. Since I've been PC gaming I'll get 5 or more games every 2-3 months and end up spending the same.

When it's all said and done it just depends what you want in regards to hardware. My rig costed 400 with integrated graphics, and bought a GT 7750 for 70$ so 470$ for a Rig that can run most games in 1080 with 30-60 FPS.

But I never said it was much cheaper, just that it wasn't as cost-prohibitive as people make it out to be. For me, I can get 30 games a year on PC through Humble Bundle or Steam sales for a total of $150-200. On console, I generally have to pay full price for each game, which is anywhere from $15-60, and I usually buy two or maybe even three games a month, not to mention the $50 I have to pay to play online. What I'm trying to say is that the high hardware cost of PC is offset by the low software cost.

I swear I read somewhere that you said PC gaming will be much cheaper overall after you buy a rig, you may have edited or I may have misinterpreted. I definitely agree with what you say in regards to the hardware, I mean you can pay about 500$ for a PC equivalent to the power of the PS4 or Xbox One  if not better.

Right now I'm contemplating whether to build a PC with about 600$ and perhaps use some of my current PCs hardware such as the RAM  and CPU to get a decent rig or if I should go with a PS4 and a game or two. 

Absolutely agree just too much hassle and initial investment for me (college kid here). Maybe once I have a stable career (hopefully) I'll get into it but of course I'll always have Sony and Nintendo for their first party plus the social aspect.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers