By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Putting the PC cost argument to rest

VanceIX said:
[...]

1. You say that, but almost every person I know owns a desktop in their house. Yes, tablets and notebooks sell more, but that's because tablets get outdated very fast and notebooks are just essential in the corporate world, period. That doesn't mean that no one buys desktops anymore, since most families still own at least one desktop.

2. You don't get to decide what games you want with PS+. Yes, I love the games and everything, but with Steam Sales literally everything is on sale, anywhere from 33% off to 90% off. You can actually pick what games you want to buy in those cases, with PS+ you have no choice, some months you'll get something decent other months you won't. And if you are paying 55 euros for a PC gaming, you're shopping at the wrong place. You can get almost any PC game you want at a fraction of the price of a console f you wait for one of many sales Steam has all throughout the year.

And your final paragraph is kinda short-sighted, almost like you didn't even read what I wrote. PCs all have controller support (I can use a PS4 or Xbox One controller on my PC), bluetooth support, and you can easily get a blu-ray player drive for very cheap.

1. Yeah, well, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. I could also say to you that I didn't buy a desktop in more than 10 years. But what for? The facts remain, notebooks sell better, even when you just consider the consumer business.

About shopping at the wrong place: If you search other places, you'll also find console games cheaper. 50 € for a brand new game isn't uncommon (I paid that much for GTA 5 and The Last of Us) but if you really want to compare the two, I think it's only fair to do that with the same retailer. Let's take amazon.de and two more or less fresh releases:

Watch_Dogs is:

PC: 49,90 €

PC Download: 53,99 €

PS3: 59,99 €

PS4: 59,99 €

X360: 57,97 €

X1: 56,99 €

Wolfenstein: The New Order

PC: 48,95 €

PC Steam Code: 48,23 €

PS3: 49,99 €

Xbox 360: 43,99 €

X1: 53,99 €

So my point remains, even for new titles, you'll never pay more than 10 bucks extra. And for that argument of choosing games: Sure, you have some good deals on steam, but you're also limited with that, as not all PC games are available on steam. And I also don't think that you get massive discounts for brand-new games all of the time. While I saw it every now and then, my impression is that if you buy directly at steam, you pay the same you would be paying in a store, if not more, keep in mind I'm still talking solely about new releases.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL441D9BF9F40D0E5E

Here's a playlist of PCs that range from $350 to $1000+. Now, most of these are already outdated so you can get even better performance for the price if you do a little research on the latest version of these parts... Obviously a $350 PC can't play Crysis at Max settings but the performance is good enough to play most games at medium-high (depending on the game obviously).

I do think people vastly over estimates how much PC gaming costs. Back in the beginning of ps3/360 era, PC gaming costed a fortune thing was indeed the case. A PC that had the equivalent power of a ps3 would have costed you more than $1500 but that is not the case anymore for ps4/x1 third party games... If you want ps4/x1 level performance for third party games, you can certainly build a PC for <$1500 but > $800 that will give u equivalent performance/graphics and the best part is, Steam is Free and you can always upgrade ur PC in the future and really, all you really need to upgrade is the GPU since most PC games are GPU intensive

Something like the following (As an example) would definatly give u a higher performance/graphics than the ps4/x1:

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler NZXT Respire T40 68.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $94.99 @ Newegg
Memory A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card $309.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT H440 ATX Mid Tower Case $129.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ Newegg
    Total

$980.15

I can't believe memory has gotten so expensive! I payed $30 for 8gigs of 1866 DDR3 on cyber monday late 2012(the 1600 was sold out at $25). Fast forward to Cyber Monday 2013 and $50 for 1600 was considered a steal.

Good points, OP.

OdinHades said:
VanceIX said:
[...]

1. You say that, but almost every person I know owns a desktop in their house. Yes, tablets and notebooks sell more, but that's because tablets get outdated very fast and notebooks are just essential in the corporate world, period. That doesn't mean that no one buys desktops anymore, since most families still own at least one desktop.

2. You don't get to decide what games you want with PS+. Yes, I love the games and everything, but with Steam Sales literally everything is on sale, anywhere from 33% off to 90% off. You can actually pick what games you want to buy in those cases, with PS+ you have no choice, some months you'll get something decent other months you won't. And if you are paying 55 euros for a PC gaming, you're shopping at the wrong place. You can get almost any PC game you want at a fraction of the price of a console f you wait for one of many sales Steam has all throughout the year.

And your final paragraph is kinda short-sighted, almost like you didn't even read what I wrote. PCs all have controller support (I can use a PS4 or Xbox One controller on my PC), bluetooth support, and you can easily get a blu-ray player drive for very cheap.

1. Yeah, well, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. I could also say to you that I didn't buy a desktop in more than 10 years. But what for? The facts remain, notebooks sell better, even when you just consider the consumer business.

About shopping at the wrong place: If you search other places, you'll also find console games cheaper. 50 € for a brand new game isn't uncommon (I paid that much for GTA 5 and The Last of Us) but if you really want to compare the two, I think it's only fair to do that with the same retailer. Let's take amazon.de and two more or less fresh releases:

Watch_Dogs is:

PC: 49,90 €

PC Download: 53,99 €

PS3: 59,99 €

X360: 57,97 €

X1: 56,99 €

Wolfenstein: The New Order

PC: 48,95 €

PC Steam Code: 48,23 €

PS3: 49,99 €

Xbox 360: 43,99 €

X1: 53,99 €

So my point remains, even for new titles, you'll never pay more than 10 bucks extra. And for that argument of choosing games: Sure, you have some good deals on steam, but you're also limited with that, as not all PC games are available on steam. And I also don't think that you get massive discounts for brand-new games all of the time. While I saw it every now and then, my impression is that if you buy directly at steam, you pay the same you would be paying in a store, if not more, keep in mind I'm still talking solely about new releases.

Like I said before, if you are willing to wait for sales, PC is a good option. If not, consoles are superior. Software drops in price much faster on PC and has a lower floor as well.

And Wolfenstein was 50% off during the Steam sale, btw.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:
[...]

Was also deal of the week on PSN. ;)

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
jigokutamago said:
That's true, unless you buy a Wii U which is $300 and free online.

since you want to throw a spanner in the works i will to your statement too. 

or you could buy a ps3 with a much better library and cheaper games,  with free online,  for $200.

Trunkin said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL441D9BF9F40D0E5E

Here's a playlist of PCs that range from $350 to $1000+. Now, most of these are already outdated so you can get even better performance for the price if you do a little research on the latest version of these parts... Obviously a $350 PC can't play Crysis at Max settings but the performance is good enough to play most games at medium-high (depending on the game obviously).

I do think people vastly over estimates how much PC gaming costs. Back in the beginning of ps3/360 era, PC gaming costed a fortune thing was indeed the case. A PC that had the equivalent power of a ps3 would have costed you more than $1500 but that is not the case anymore for ps4/x1 third party games... If you want ps4/x1 level performance for third party games, you can certainly build a PC for <$1500 but > $800 that will give u equivalent performance/graphics and the best part is, Steam is Free and you can always upgrade ur PC in the future and really, all you really need to upgrade is the GPU since most PC games are GPU intensive

Something like the following (As an example) would definatly give u a higher performance/graphics than the ps4/x1:

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler NZXT Respire T40 68.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $94.99 @ Newegg
Memory A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card $309.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT H440 ATX Mid Tower Case $129.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ Newegg
    Total

$980.15

I can't believe memory has gotten so expensive! I payed $30 for 8gigs of 1866 DDR3 on cyber monday late 2012(the 1600 was sold out at $25). Fast forward to Cyber Monday 2013 and $50 for 1600 was considered a steal.

I know right! I blame the typhoons and other natural disaters that seem to increase the prices of PC parts at times T_T

Oh well, imo, if you really want to spend a lot on a PC, Wait for DDR4 which I believe is going to come out next year since motherboards already are starting to have support for DDR4... But if you also want to get a cheaper PC, wait for DDR4 cause DDR3 prices is gonna drop like free sex when DDR4 comes out

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

OdinHades said:
VanceIX said:
[...]

Was also deal of the week on PSN. ;)

True, but it was still $10 cheaper on Steam

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Money was never an argument. It's just a cheap shot by people who don't want to afford a proper PC.
Money is not the issue of a gaming platform, it's an issue of the gamer.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

i dont know about you, but pc has a better games backlog, and ingame mp3 since the days of mp3.. and to top it off.. ingame entire os..