By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft is innocent!!

Tamron said:
hinch said:

That's wierd.

I remember playing online on the Dreamcast, and that was free.

Hrm.

That's because sega-net was an optional service, which was basically paid dialup that linked you directly to Sega's online servers, to reduce the latency.

Ah, I see. Thanks for that.

Well to be fair to Sega, they did offer it as an optional service; for the more dedicated of online gamers. Its not like it was (and still is) a mandatory service to play online, like Xbox Live.

They did sort-of set the ball rolling though. MS just gave it the extra push.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Tamron said:
d21lewis said:

I don't know if you're supporting me or against me but I kinda agree with most of what you say.  I don't know what you pay for with SegaNet but I know it cost about $19 a month.  There was even an offer where Sega would give you a free Dreamcast as long as you agreed to sign up for SegaNet for a couple of years.  You may have been payong for dial up but Sega HAD to be making money on the deal, too.  Otherwise, wtf?

Second point im just saying is a non issue for anyone.

First point you're confused on.

Seganet was a premium dialup service that negated normal routing of dialup through multiple hops and connected you, in the shortest possible route, to segas servers, it was basically a gaming-specific dialup service, if you already had dialup, you could enter your dialup info and connect with that, at no additional charge, and if you had broadband you could buy the broadband adapter and connect it to your router.

Seganet was not a requirement for online play, it was simply an alternative to those with latency issues or people who previously had no internet solution and wanted a fixed-rate dialup service, back then $19 a month for unlimited use dialup was cheap.

Hell the dreamkey disk even had a guide on how to snag your dialup number and user/password from your PC to use on the dreamcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfCAWoNwWKk

I don't know.  I'll check out thee video.  I just recall buying a Dreamcast and connecting a phone line to it and being asked for credit card info.  Are you from the USA?  Either way, send me a link.  I know there were ways to connect after SegaNet went under but at the time, you're saying that there was a free alternative?  Because I had OutTrigger and Quake III and those darn sure wouldn't let me play online at the time (I didn't have a CC but then, I didn't have any internet connection).

most likely you threw in the disk and went through the wizard process to create a new account,  if you went through the manual procress you could specify your own. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Its better that they go outward. Their internal first party isnt that great. Look how good Killer Instinct came out, but you dont really know who to trust as the developmental company because there is no stable name for the development, even though they've got Rare. Black Tusk was making a new IP and of course screw that. Lets stick with the status quo and not expand our minds. Gears of War. I'm not fighitng it. I love Gears, but Microsoft just isn't creative. They hire people to be creative for them.

Are you still preaching this fallacy?

I mean you defend a company that copies (yes I said it), Tomb Raider, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Dark Souls, etc...

Plus, puts out a game that shamelessly copies plots from movies and puts a little twist to it to call it original.

Also they have the nerve to call Quantum dream titles "games". If they are games my interactive Blu-ray movies are games also.

Goatseye said:

I mean you defend a company that copies (yes I said it), Tomb Raider, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Dark Souls, etc...

Plus, puts out a game that shamelessly copies plots from movies and puts a little twist to it to call it original.

Also they have the nerve to call Quantum dream titles "games". If they are games my interactive Blu-ray movies are games also.

To be fair, Demon Souls came out before Dark Souls, so it wasn't really copying per se...

I have to agree with the others, though, as sad as it makes me as a Playstation fan

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Goatseye said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Its better that they go outward. Their internal first party isnt that great. Look how good Killer Instinct came out, but you dont really know who to trust as the developmental company because there is no stable name for the development, even though they've got Rare. Black Tusk was making a new IP and of course screw that. Lets stick with the status quo and not expand our minds. Gears of War. I'm not fighitng it. I love Gears, but Microsoft just isn't creative. They hire people to be creative for them.

This fallacy you say....

Prove.. 

Me....
Wrong...

Prove to me the prolific nature of Microsoft first party being on par with their competition. 

Exclude Quantic Dream games from Sony. You still have a slew of first party to go down. Sony has closed down four studios I believe in recent times but that was to free up the budget, not because of true failure. 

Nintendo has the best first party and Sony's is second best, but what makes Sony different is their innate passion to create different IP's and creating alternate experiences.

Microsofts top two games in Gears and Halo were not birthed by their internal studios. They brought both of those games into their studios by either purchasing the studio or buying the IP. Crackdown, Fable, Forza and Project Gotham are the greatest things that Microsoft has ever produced for the Xbox from scratch.

In the end....

just say you like the Xbox better and what is offered. 

P.S.

Uncharted and Tomb Raider are both third person shooters, but Uncharted much like Gears of War takes queues from Killswitch even though they are both treasure hunting games. Uncharted is closed off whereas Tomb Raider is open. Not to say Uncharted never took anything from Tomb Raider, because I believe they did, but Uncharted is closer in tone to Indiana Jones in style of production. The Tomb Raider of today is more akin to Uncharted, which is why people have found a new vigor to play it, rather than ignoring the years of slumping sales Tomb Raider had to endure while watching Uncharted sell hand over fist for its style of doing things rather than theirs. 

The new Tomb Raider is basically Uncharted with a serious tone.  The storytelling isnt even on par with Uncharted nor Last of Us. The gameplay was fun because it is basically a tweaked Uncharted, no different than the new Mordor game is akin to Assassins Creed.

See the comparison here. If Tomb Raider didn't copy Uncharted the franchise would surely have died or remained stagnant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsEdlykopbg

Sony copied Smash, and Mario Kart. So? Doesn't the saying go immitation is the most sincere form of flattery, correct? Nintendo should be flattered. Are you angry that Sony tried to compete with them? At least they are able to. Sony has a long way to go before they understand the spark behind Nintendo's games.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Thank you, Microsoft. Thank you for all that you've done

God bless them.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

d21lewis said:
Myth:  Microsoft was the one that started making us pay for online gaming

-This is false.  Anybody who was around at the time knows that SegaNet (Dreamcast) charged for an online gaming subscription long before Xbox Live.  In fact, if I remember, SegaNet cost around $19 a month.  Even before them, there were paid (unlicensed) online services for Super Nes/Genesis games.

They may not have been the first, but they were the first to do it successfully. They started the trend that is afflicting the industry today.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

So why you get on MS's back about creating new IP's if you are settling for copies?

MS chooses to contract third party to develop their games because they don't wanna have dead weight like Team Ico and Polyphony take their sweet time to do their jobs. You know, they are a cost concious firm and look at what Sony and Nintendo are doing now.

Goatseye said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

So why you get on MS's back about creating new IP's if you are settling for copies?

MS chooses to contract third party to develop their games because they don't wanna have dead weight like Team Ico and Polyphony take their sweet time to do their jobs. You know, they are a cost concious firm and look at what Sony and Nintendo are doing now.

LOL...yes...

If Polyphony and Team Ico fell apart tomorrow, Microsoft would be the first to sweep up Sony's seconds just like they always do....just like they did the layoffs at Sony Santamonica. Microsoft loves to align themselves with former Sony teams and they make public spectacle of it as well. Insomniacs game is at a much higher status than it deserves all because Microsoft is funding an IP from a Sony affiliated company. 

Outside of Bungie...what disbanded companies of Microsoft has Sony ever outstretched their hand to align themselves with? 

Thats right...none.

Because outside of Bungie...there has been no such company.

If Sony were to fall apart. Microsoft would buy all of their IP's because before they were in the industry with the Xbox they tried to be partners with Sony before Sony turned them down. Once second best....always second best.

Again....just say you like Microsoft better. Its easier to end this that way.

how can you argue his points without sounding like fanboys lol.