By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft is innocent!!

I remember the guy saying that M$ made it okay for devs to release "incomplete games". Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I remember the guy saying that M$ made it okay for devs to release "incomplete games". Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Correct me if I'm wrong but PSX came before OG Xbox right?

DigitalDevilSummoner said:

Myth:  Microsoft was the one that started making us pay for online gaming

Dreamarena was free.

Myth:  Microsoft made it okay to launch a console with faulty hardware

"Also suffered" is grossly missleading. Neither the PS1's nor PS2's fail rates were ever comparable.

Myth:  Microsoft ruined the industry with their exclusivity deals

Again missleading. MS "ruined" or better hindered part of the industry by making games exclusive that were quite simply not selling on the platform. Outside of well known Japanese titles, I think exclusivity also proved out to be a mistake for Alan Wake as well.

Xbox exclusivity ruined our chances to ever get idolm@ster in europe =(

All of those things, didn't even really bother me that much about their stuff. I expect problems when a console launches. If you can't wait, then expect no games and a broken console for christmas.

Paying for online actually makes sense to a certain degree. Game companies have to host servers to match players against eachother. It's only natural that you should help pay for those.

My problem against microsoft is that they are a redundant version of Sony who aren't making any money in the first place. They don't even have a big first party development going on. If they were to leave, there would be almost no negative ripples in the gaming world. Not like anyone is particularly attached to Microsoft anyways.

DarkD said:
All of those things, didn't even really bother me that much about their stuff. I expect problems when a console launches. If you can't wait, then expect no games and a broken console for christmas.

Paying for online actually makes sense to a certain degree. Game companies have to host servers to match players against eachother. It's only natural that you should help pay for those.

My problem against microsoft is that they are a redundant version of Sony who aren't making any money in the first place. They don't even have a big first party development going on. If they were to leave, there would be almost no negative ripples in the gaming world. Not like anyone is particularly attached to Microsoft anyways.

I would. A company that puts Western games with emphasis on gameplay first would be surely missed.

There Xbox is the home of the best FPSs, TPSs and racing games. Those are 3 of the most popular genres in the gaming industry.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:

I would. A company that puts Western games with emphasis on gameplay first would be surely missed.

There Xbox is the home of the best FPSs, TPSs and racing games. Those are 3 of the most popular genres in the gaming industry.

Microsoft is only making a couple of them.  The vast majority would just move to a different console.  

DarkD said:
Goatseye said:

Microsoft is only making a couple of them.  The vast majority would just move to a different console.  

Who's making all of them? And isn't most of the high profile Japanese games that used to be PS exclusive jump to Xbox also?

Goatseye said:
DarkD said:
Goatseye said:

Who's making all of them? And isn't most of the high profile Japanese games that used to be PS exclusive jump to Xbox also?

The only one being made by microsoft are Gears and Halo.  Considering their sales, those will probably just end up being PC exclusives from then on.  It's literally win-win-win if Microsoft drops out.  Profits would be higher on less systems, and development costs would go down.  We may even have more FPS games in that case because resources would be freed up.  Believe me, the american FPS and TPS are the last thing that would ever disappear from gaming.  

The Japanese games are going multiplatform because there aren't enough sales on any one platform right now to justify exclusivity.  If it becomes a two person race that would very likely change.  

DarkD said:
Goatseye said:
DarkD said:
Goatseye said:

The only one being made by microsoft are Gears and Halo.  Considering their sales, those will probably just end up being PC exclusives from then on.  It's literally win-win-win if Microsoft drops out.  Profits would be higher on less systems, and development costs would go down.  We may even have more FPS games in that case because resources would be freed up.  Believe me, the american FPS and TPS are the last thing that would ever disappear from gaming.  

The Japanese games are going multiplatform because there aren't enough sales on any one platform right now to justify exclusivity.  If it becomes a two person race that would very likely change.  

Microsoft never made those games. They bought bungie while they were developing the game for Apple. Halo was supposed to be the killer App for Apple computers in 2000. Steve Jobs was the first man to reveal Halo for Apple. Look it up on Youtube. 

Gears of War was just published by Microsoft. That game is all Epic in creation. Epic didn't want to make Gears games for the new gen so Microsoft was forced to buy it from them.

Microsofts top four games that they've ever made internally are Crackdown, Fable, Forza and Project Gotham. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
DarkD said:
Goatseye said:
DarkD said:
Goatseye said:

Microsoft never made those games. They bought bungie while they were developing the game for Apple. Halo was supposed to be the killer App for Apple computers in 2000. Steve Jobs was the first man to reveal Halo for Apple. Look it up on Youtube. 

Gears of War was just published by Microsoft. That game is all Epic in creation. Epic didn't want to make Gears games for the new gen so Microsoft was forced to buy it from them.

Microsofts top four games that they've ever made internally are Crackdown, Fable, Forza and Project Gotham. 

Even more reason why we wouldn't lose anything if they dropped out of consoles.