By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation created the Industry, Xbox changed the playing field

LudicrousSpeed said:
Nintendo revived the industry
Sega provided competition and stabilized it
Sony broadened it
Microsoft fills Segas role now, down to the online play you give MS credit for. Sega actually had their own pay to play online network long before XBL

Bad thing about Sega's though was that it was future flawed. It was a dial-up service I believe that lasted less than a year.

Around the Network

There is a word for the claim that Sony invented the industry. That word is false. It's simply not true in any way shape or form. You can't even really claim Nintendo invented the industry. You can arguably give the credit to Atari for making the first popular multi cartridge machine or Fairchild for making the first multi cartridge machine. There really isn't any way to say Sony made the market. At best a poor choice of words, at worst just plain silly.

The analysis here is laughably biased. Firstly it completely discounts any company that is not Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony. Sega for instance had a lot to do with changing the demographics or gaming. Games like Doom also had a lot to do with expanding the market, and that would spillover to console gaming largely with the advent of Halo. It ridiculously discounts Microsofts success as nothing more than taking advantage of Sony's stumble and not crediting them with excellent marketing and some key titles. It also discounts the Wii's role in expanding the market, which undoubtedly spilled over to the 360 and PS3.

I don't mean to discredit what Sony did, but all the same, you can't write off any success Ninty and Microsoft had as either a slip up on Sony's part or a straight fluke. This is an analysis that only carries some sort of weight because Sony is doing well in a young generation which will inevitably see the pendulum swing closer to equilibrium between XBox and Playstation with the Wii U as a wildcard, but its claims are specious.

jlmurph2 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Sony broadened it
Microsoft fills Segas role now, down to the online play you give MS credit for. Sega actually had their own pay to play online network long before XBL

Bad thing about Sega's though was that it was future flawed. It was a dial-up service I believe that lasted less than a year.

It was dial up or broadband. Didn't last long because Sega ran out of money.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
MohammadBadir said:
Wouldn't be more fitting to say Nintendo's the one who started it, and Playstation's the one who changed it?

No because gaming as an industry form preceeds Nintendo.

When I say PlayStation created the industry, I mean that PS created the version of the industry that we have now. It's no longer Nintendo's industry and every generation from the PS1 including handhelds prove that. Nintendo dominates with Handhelds, Nintendo won with the Wii. In both cases, Nintendo address a new untapped part of the industry i.e the non-gamers like Grandma and Joe's Mom. The 64, GC, and Wii U all have had the smallest portion of marketshare, even worse considering the Wii U released a year before its competitors. The standard market is incompatible with Nintendo.

Xbox modified it even further by introducing Online, something PS could do with little difficulty, as an electronics company, but something much more daunting for Nintendo.

This is why Nintendo's 3rd party support is declining while X1 has remained intact despite the Wii U having larger marketshare at the moment. 

So... Sony invented the industry that we have now... except for the parts they don't do well in... because those parts don't count. 

CladInShadows said:
daredevil.shark said:
With PS1 that attracted and retained mature gamers who were suffering from fatigue for playing the same game over and over again. 

What exactly are you basing this on?

With PS1 people got variety. Who wants to rescue a princess who has been kidnapped for the 100th time over and over again? Playstation 1 was about brand new IP and fresh take on gaming.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

So... Sony invented the industry that we have now... except for the parts they don't do well in... because those parts don't count. 

If its not obvious, I'm talking about the mainstream gamer home console industry. Not the PC or Mobile industry as it doesn't include Nintendo. Not the mobile industry as it doesn't include Microsoft.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

I kind of feel sorry for Nintendo........

LudicrousSpeed said:
Sony broadened it

Sega introduced Online, but MS is who popularized it and for the matters of how it affects us today, that's all that matters.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

I mean jeez, I get people don't like the wiiU but skipping the first and second generation entirely seems pretty low, even more people that don't like the company. Like I get not caring about Nintendo but if you are going to give a "brief history lesson" At least write 2 sentences about how Nintendo had to clean up the mess that Atari created... I mean, did you even know that Sony didn't even want to go into the video game market if it wasn't for Nintendo? But anyway... I don't agree... A better title would be, Nintendo created the industry, Sony changed the playing field and Xbox evolutionized it

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

NobleTeam360 said:
I kind of feel sorry for Nintendo........

Yeah. Except 7th gen their popularity is decreasing. They are the ones who revived video gaming.