By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation created the Industry, Xbox changed the playing field

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Nintendo revived the industry
Sega provided competition and stabilized it
Sony broadened it
Microsoft fills Segas role now, down to the online play you give MS credit for. Sega actually had their own pay to play online network long before XBL

Sega introduced Online, but MS is who popularized it and for the matters of how it affects us today, that's all that matters.

No they didn't. Atari 2600 was online. Famicom was Online. Xband made Genesis and SNES online and even could play Street Fighter II online with SNES and Genesis and Capcom and other publishers supported it. Nintendo and SEGA even had DLC in the 80's and 90's. With Stuff like Skies of Arcadia,BS Zelda Mario Paint N64 and some Famicom Disc games had it. Like Excitebike

Around the Network
Ryudo said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Sony broadened it
Microsoft fills Segas role now, down to the online play you give MS credit for. Sega actually had their own pay to play online network long before XBL

Sega introduced Online, but MS is who popularized it and for the matters of how it affects us today, that's all that matters.

No they didn't. Atari 2600 was online. Famicom was Online. Xband made Genesis and SNES online and even could play Street Fighter II online with SNES and Genesis and Capcom and other publishers supported it. Nintendo and SEGA even had DLC in the 80's and 90's. With Stuff like Skies of Arcadia,BS Zelda Mario Paint N64 and some Famicom Disc games had it. Like Excitebike

Who cares, MS popularized it.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

stopped reading after "Playstation created the industry"

TBH Gaming didnt suddenly appeal to mature audiences it started to appeal to 13 year olds and to people that do things not because they like it but because they want to be cool by doing something. it still does. Guess who all the mainstream gamers are.

JazzB1987 said:

stopped reading after "Playstation created the industry"

TBH Gaming didnt suddenly appeal to mature audiences it started to appeal to 13 year olds and to people that do things not because they like it but because they want to be cool by doing something. it still does. Guess who all the mainstream gamers are.

Welcome to literally 76% of those who posted in this thread and 83% of those who missed the point. 

the tl:dr is Wii U's problem is mainly third party support, rather then simply a matter of hardware, I purport that 3rd party became more important over time compared to what Nintendo dealt with in Pre-5th gen. The introduction of Sony, a non-game developer making a console, 3rd parties became more important, and an industry where 3rd parties are important better supports PlayStation and Xbox. The performance of the Wii and Handhelds shows that if Nintendo addresses a different type of market from the traditional home console market where 3rd parties are more important, it will sell well. The 64 and GC show that as well. The strategy with the Wii U of trying to bridge the gap, isn't working, and this is most likely why as well.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Ryudo said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Sony broadened it

That's right ignore the real history and only use what suits your strawman. I lived in all these eras and yours began with PS2 so stop now.

You specifically said SEGA introduced it and I have you a real history lesson. You got mad you were wrong.

Around the Network
Ryudo said:

That's right ignore the real history and only use what suits your strawman. I lived in all these eras and yours began with PS2 so stop now.

You specifically said SEGA introduced it and I have you a real history lesson. You got mad you were wrong.

I didn't say I was right, but if it makes you happy I will tell you that I was wrong.

I , Dr. Henry_Killinger, was wrong about Sega introducing online networking.

I don't remember getting mad, and I'm pretty sure its pretty irrelevant to the conclusion I came up with in the analysis and just reposted recently.

the thread title, is completely false and here is why. after the video game crash in the very early 80's, which company single handely saved the video game industry . oh yea, it was nintendo. yes the playstation brand moved the industry forward at a quicker pace, and xbox changed it again, when it entered the industry. but for anyone to say the playstation brand created the industry , is completely talking out of their a$$ , pure and simple . also doesnt know the facts of the video game industry.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Sony def did create the industry we know today. Super Nintendo and Sega never came close to selling 100 million units. Games were for mainly for little kids but now that's changed. Nintendo should go 3rd party or come rely mobile. The wii fad is over. Only Nintendo fans buy Nintendo consoles. Sony saved gaming and MS has helped take things to a new level. If the industry was still sega and Nintendo I don't think gaming would be what it is today

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Ryudo said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Sony broadened it

MS neither popularized it nor invented it, they allowed a better form of dlc on consoles by selling a console with local storage, but all in all these are only expansion packs, just like on PC, which has existed for quite a while.

alabtrosMyster said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Ryudo said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Sony broadened it

MS neither popularized it nor invented it, they allowed a better form of dlc on consoles by selling a console with local storage, but all in all these are only expansion packs, just like on PC, which has existed for quite a while.

You know what all these Sega, Atari, Famicon, Xband comments make me think.

That right there is innovation in consoles, and it doesn't count for shit. MS put an HDD in the box and gave it networking, and now its become an industry standard. They perfected it, for lack of a better term, enough so that it became standard in the industry.

Clearly, perfection > innovation, in that case and in general.