By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - xbone + wii u closing the gap with ps4!

what will the distribution be closest to?

70-20-10 81 12.02%

70-15-15 23 3.41%

60-25-15 134 19.88%

60-20-20 74 10.98%

50-30-20 173 25.67%

50-25-25 38 5.64%

40-30-30 122 18.10%

40-40-20 25 3.71%

Total:670
ikki5 said:

I can't wait to come back to these threads in 6 - 7 years (if I remember) and read up on all these predictions of over 100m sales for the PS4 and when i see the 70-80 million number, I am going to laugh at you.

Let me put things into perspective. The Wii sold 100m world wide yes? People are saying the PS4 will be 100m+ worldwide because it is selling so well but if you look at the Wii, it was selling 2-3 times (sometimes even more than that) by this time than what the PS4 was and it did this for several years. And the Wii sold more than the PS4 did by this time. The numbers pretty much never made it below 150k a week until around summer/fall 3 years later and then it was STILL over 100k per week. Something that the PS4 is not doing right now and it probably won't do... ever. The PS4 sale surge is over. You are going to probably continue to get these numbers with them slowly declining over all over time with spikes here and there but it will NEVER get to 100m. The only way I can see it doing that is if they keep it going for an extra 3 or 4 years into the next generation and I doubt you will see them doing that otherwise it will be Sony being left behind next gen instead of Nintendo.

Bad comparison. The wii had explosive sales because of the motion controls. Once the excitement over them and wiifit was over, the hardware sales suffered massively. Same with xb360 and kinect. PS consoles, on the other hand, keep selling well over longer periods of time because of the combo of good 1st and 3rd party games. Please bump the thread in 6 years if the ps4 doesn't manage to sell 100m by then. The ps4 doesn't need to sell 100k every week. It can do 100m with less than than in some weeks (and more than the wii in other weeks). I have little doubt that it will keep selling well after its 5th year unlike the wii. 

Around the Network
geoflame2014 said:
I KNOW SONY FANS WANT THE PS4 TO WIN CAUSE THE PS3 LOSS WAS BAD BUT PS4 HAS LOST GROUND IN AMERICA AND JAPAN SO HOW ARE THEY GOING TO WIN

In Japan, certainly, but consoles in general are dead in Japan, so that's a wash.

Sony is doing leagues better in North American than it did last generation, so I'm not sure what you're talking about?

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

As of now xboxone is beating ps4 buddy 

geoflame2014 said:

As of now xboxone is beating ps4 buddy 

Whatever floats your boat.

Sale statistics would point the other way, though.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

naruball said:
ikki5 said:

I can't wait to come back to these threads in 6 - 7 years (if I remember) and read up on all these predictions of over 100m sales for the PS4 and when i see the 70-80 million number, I am going to laugh at you.

Let me put things into perspective. The Wii sold 100m world wide yes? People are saying the PS4 will be 100m+ worldwide because it is selling so well but if you look at the Wii, it was selling 2-3 times (sometimes even more than that) by this time than what the PS4 was and it did this for several years. And the Wii sold more than the PS4 did by this time. The numbers pretty much never made it below 150k a week until around summer/fall 3 years later and then it was STILL over 100k per week. Something that the PS4 is not doing right now and it probably won't do... ever. The PS4 sale surge is over. You are going to probably continue to get these numbers with them slowly declining over all over time with spikes here and there but it will NEVER get to 100m. The only way I can see it doing that is if they keep it going for an extra 3 or 4 years into the next generation and I doubt you will see them doing that otherwise it will be Sony being left behind next gen instead of Nintendo.

Bad comparison. The wii had explosive sales because of the motion controls. Once the excitement over them and wiifit was over, the hardware sales suffered massively. Same with xb360 and kinect. PS consoles, on the other hand, keep selling well over longer periods of time because of the combo of good 1st and 3rd party games. Please bump the thread in 6 years if the ps4 doesn't manage to sell 100m by then. The ps4 doesn't need to sell 100k every week. It can do 100m with less than than in some weeks (and more than the wii in other weeks). I have little doubt that it will keep selling well after its 5th year unlike the wii. 

lol, it isn't a bad comparason, I am telling you basically what you need to hit 100m sales. This is something that the PS4 isn't doing. The Wii was hitting more than what the PS4 in 2012. The Wii had never dropped (never checked all the weeks, if it did get to them, it was an outlier) to what the PS4 numbers are now until sometime later in 2012. So with the PS4 selling and following the trend it is, it will never hit 100 mil sales. It will need to sell around what it is now every week on average for the next 9 or so years to make it to 100m which we all know, it will not keep the current numbers. It will slowly drop overall with spikes here and there and we also know that the next generation of playstation will come before 9 years from now otherwise Sony will be the ones that are getting left behind.

Around the Network

nice misleading antagonizing title again, but this kind of crap is why the site is going down hill. you could have "ps4 wont achieve 60% market share" or "wont beat wiiu and xb1 combined" but saying those 2 are closing the gap is a straight up misleading baiting title. the fact that the mods continue to let this shit go on is stupid.

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

think-man said:
All I know is the ps4 is going to win this gen with ease.

Let's ignore this and invent ways of making it sound less dominant. Got any ideas?

Why the heck is Wii U being included at all? I don't intend this to be as a 'lulNintendo' dig, because I do actually really enjoy their line of consoles, especially when it comes to the sheer joy of local multiplayer with my friends; bottom line, when it comes to social gaming with folks in the same room, my Wii (and eventually Wii U,) is going to be the top shelf item.

But that being said, the entire point (or so I thought, at least,) of monitoring the relative sales of the consoles was to try and determine the sort of leverage each company can exert on the market. Basically, 'If You Sell It, They (the publishers and developers) Will Come.'

But the reason the sales comparisons matter to the Xbox One and PS4 is because of how similar they are in most other respects. They even run on a similar architecture, and so the amount of Tender Loving Care a publisher gives one platform or the other, (whether it's taking advantage of unique hardware features, or simply pushing for a certain resolution or framerate,) will likely tie into how much profit they expect to extract from it. If the PS4 version of a game is selling in significantly higher numbers than the Xbox One version due to a gap in hardware numbers, then a publisher is going to inevitably keep that in mind when it comes time to decide whether they'll be doling any sort of exclusivity, how much they'll be charging, and if they reeeeally want to bother trying to get the Xbox One version of their game above 900p.

Nintendo is... well, it's Nintendo. It has its own little fiefdom in the market, and chances are it will rarely, if ever, be included in 8th generation third-party titles that are intended to push the limits of the PS4 and Xbox One. It doesn't matter, either, because it's pretty clear that they're quite happy being Nintendo, and to be honest, so am I. ^^ Still, their involvement in a sales comparison is a bit pointless, because when it comes to fighting tooth or nail for third party exclusive content, and the other concerns that Sony and Microsoft will be facing, the Wii U simply won't be in the equation.

Zanten, Doer Of The Things

Unless He Forgets In Which Case Zanten, Forgetter Of The Things

Or He Procrascinates, In Which Case Zanten, Doer Of The Things Later

Or It Involves Moving Furniture, in Which Case Zanten, F*** You.

Xbox one SOLD MORE THAN PS4 this week IN NORTH AMERICA DENIAL 

DD_Bwest said:
nice misleading antagonizing title again, but this kind of crap is why the site is going down hill. you could have "ps4 wont achieve 60% market share" or "wont beat wiiu and xb1 combined" but saying those 2 are closing the gap is a straight up misleading baiting title. the fact that the mods continue to let this shit go on is stupid.

im sorry you dont like my title, but you suggesting that the mods shouldn't let this go on is advocating nothing more than a dictatorship here. im glad vgchartz allows you a little more freedom than what youre suggesting here.