By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Bioshock 1 so praised?

Tagged games:

Do you agree with praisin' Bioshock?

I'd rather Praise the Sun. 21 8.54%

Yes, definitively one of the best games ever. 84 34.15%

Yes...but there are better games. 53 21.54%

Yes. 15 6.10%

Meh, it's indifferent to me. 10 4.07%

No, definitively not one ... 18 7.32%

No...there are better games. 10 4.07%

No. 12 4.88%

Bioshock 2 better? Are you fucking INSANE? 7 2.85%

Show me results! 15 6.10%

Total:245

I came here only to praise the sun.

Bioshock is one of those games where good aspects completely block the bad aspects in the mind of gamers due to many different reasons. Exclusivity hype being one of them.

Around the Network

I honestly thing you're just a hipster. Calling it just an atmospheric fps undermines everything Bioshock does better than everything else. That's like calling Mario Kart 8 just a kart racer. Bioshock is so great because it was able to create such an immersive atmosphere through gameplay and not cutscenes. From the level design, the sound fled sign, the art design, and even the admittedly poor gunplay, everything was done to make a more satisfying gameplay experience. To say that bioshock is just the twist ignores everything leading up to it. The twist would be absolutely nothing without the rest of Bioshock.

Infinite is very over rated thought.

spemanig said:
I honestly thing you're just a hipster. Calling it just an atmospheric fps undermines everything Bioshock does better than everything else. That's like calling Mario Kart 8 just a kart racer. Bioshock is so great because it was able to create such an immersive atmosphere through gameplay and not cutscenes. From the level design, the sound fled sign, the art design, and even the admittedly poor gunplay, everything was done to make a more satisfying gameplay experience. To say that bioshock is just the twist ignores everything leading up to it. The twist would be absolutely nothing without the rest of Bioshock.

Yet atmosphere is broken at times. Especially with the horrible final boss battle and crappy endings, which apparently can be overlooked, for example.

If it's immersive atmosphere through gameplay what truly sets Bioshock, then why Bioshock 2 was less praised?

Because it's a great game with amazing atmosphere, with a great soundtrack, with an enjoyable story and with great gameplay? Shocking, I know! -_-

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

Because it's a great game with amazing atmosphere, with a great soundtrack, with an enjoyable story and with great gameplay? Shocking, I know! -_-

Then why isn't Bioshock 2 so praised as well? It definitively hit all these spots you've said: atmosphere, soundtrack, enjoyable story and great gameplay.

Around the Network

I played it for about half an hour. It didnt really do much to make me come back.

Praaaiiiiiiseeee the sun!!!

OT: Bioshock 1 was great, storywise with fresh (not necessarily new) gameplay mechanics. Bioshock Infinite was shit though! Why do people praise THAT game.

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

I only played infinite and thought it was only okay :x, but then again I think corridor games are boring.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

Wright said:
AZWification said:

Then why isn't Bioshock 2 so praised as well? It definitively hit all these spots you've said: atmosphere, soundtrack, enjoyable story and great gameplay.

Umm.........because BioShock 2 played it very safe? The story wasn't as interesting as before, the gameplay was kinda repetitive, it was shorter and easier etc.....

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

Umm.........because BioShock 2 played it very safe? The story wasn't as interesting as before, the gameplay was kinda repetitive, it was shorter and easier etc.....

Well, if Bioshock 1 nailed greatness as critics say, playing it safe would only mean you have another hit in greatness. Can't improve from perfection right?

The story was certainly more interesting, and I don't agree about difficulty. All Bioshocks are easy games.

If gameplay was kinda repetitive...that means on Bioshock 1, gameplay was kinda repetitive too.